Vodafone sims/phones - how to remove restrictions etc (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I thought I'd do this thread as both me and hubby have had some setting issues with our Vodafone contracts and I can't believe we're the only ones who are having 'fun' so rather than others struggling to find out what to do about it, here's the info you need.

Who does it apply to:

If you've taken out a contract sim or PAYG sim with Vodafone you might wish to adjust some of the standard settings to make it as you want it, such as preventing premium texts, calls, set your spend manager etc. You can do a lot of the changes yourself but 2 in particular just won't go away no matter what you do, even if you managed to get them to show as being 'off' they actually aren't! These 2 are:

Content restriction - this limits what those under 18 can view - you have to go into the Vodafone site and confirm your ID by putting in details of a credit card etc after which the restriction should be removed ... however despite doing this, and even though it says you have removed the restriction, it is still there!​
Secure Net - an internet protection system provided by Vodafone free for 3 months but after that time you'll be charged £1 a month - you have to opt out so if you don't you'll get billed for it - even though website says you can't do this until after the 3 months its not true - if you remove it yourself though it doesn't go away either.​

How to sort them

You can ring 191 from your Vodafone sim but you'll be waiting a long time on the phone before they answer and although the techs are helpful and pleasant it's not easy to understand them as they have strong foreign accents.

The alternatively is do it via a live chat which is by far the easiest and quickest method as you don't usually have to wait long for someone to be available.

What you'll need/to do before contacting them via Live Chat:
  • Make sure you have already done the ID confirmation for the 'content restriction' removal
  • You will need your Vodafone phone (sim) number
  • You'll also need your Vodafone pin
Now you can use the link below to take you to the 'Secure Net' page and click on the 'Live Chat' button:

You'll get a 'greeting' and be asked to confirm you want to remove 'Secure Net' so do that first then they'll ask if you want to do anything else and you can then get the 'content restriction' removed (as you've already done the ID submission this should be straightforward).

Good luck!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
fortunately was aware of both particularly the secure net one, which i disarm immediately.
you can sort both of these and much more in the "my vodafone" app .

just load it onto the phone and manage all settings ( with minor exception ) from there. you will need to go through account set up but that is a relatively straightforward affair.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
1595267201784.png

1595267124430.png
an example of the opening screen

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I have the app and log on using the website, there are long standing issues with altering some of the settings. Operators on numerous occasions say that actions have definitely been done and then no change, seems pot luck if alterations to settings work or not.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
fortunately was aware of both particularly the secure net one, which i disarm immediately.
you can sort both of these and much more in the "my vodafone" app .

just load it onto the phone and manage all settings ( with minor exception ) from there. you will need to go through account set up but that is a relatively straightforward affair.
Nope ... tried that, still didn't work, hence my thread.

Have you actually tried accessing any website that under 18's aren't supposed to? That's how we checked and found even though the app said the content restriction was 'off' it was still on.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just to clarify ... I'm not talking about naughty sites ... :blusher:

Jan 2, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus
Exp
full timing since beginning 2017
Brilliant thanks Minxy Girl
If really annoyed me that I couldn't get in most vape sites,
I went on via the app, it took all my details then told me it couldn't do it, try later, so went on to Tobi who was hopeless and then got moved onto a live chat, they could see that I had put my card details in and disabled if for me, confirmation email, then turn phone off and on and it works, I can now shop for e cig juice 🤗

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Nope ... tried that, still didn't work, hence my thread.

Have you actually tried accessing any website that under 18's aren't supposed to? That's how we checked and found even though the app said the content restriction was 'off' it was still on.

I have not lifted the age restriction on my new sim from Foneshop but done it on my normal phone sim ( Vodafone ) a while back. and i dont recall having access reject to any sites since.
will have to try harder.... perhaps:unsure:

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Mel, re. Secure Net, I took out a new contract with Vodafone just over 3 months ago. It included the 3 month free offer for SecureNet and I tried a couple of times to cancel it but went round in circles. However I received this text on 1st July from Vodafone...

"Your Vodafone Secure Net free trial ends in 8 days. After that, it's just £1 a month to keep you and your family protected online when using our network. Remember, Vodafone Secure Net helps defend against viruses and harmful websites, with more than 8 million threats blocked since launch. Head to www.vodafone.uk/SecureNet to manage settings and to see when you're protected. We'll text again when your free trial has ended. If you decide it's not for you, just make sure you're connected to our network (not Wi-Fi) and visit www.vodafone.uk/turnoff to cancel."

I clicked the link at the bottom and turned off SecureNet.
Received this text on 2 July from Vodafone....

" Just to confirm, Vodafone Secure Net has now been deactivated on your account. Any payments will be stopped immediately, but changes to your security settings can take up to 48 hours to be applied (or simply restart your phone to update them straight away). If you change your mind and want to carry on benefitting from added protection when using our network, just visit vodafone.uk/SecureNet to reactivate Vodafone Secure Net anytime."

But I will still check my next bill just to make sure.
Hope this helps (y)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
just checked our 3 vodafone numbers and all 3 have secure net OFF! (y)

but

despite that 18s and over is blocked on all 3 and cant eem to lift it on the apps or in account settings on line.

so if i do need to be over 18 :cautious:i will take your advice Mel Minxy Girl thank you.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Mel, re. Secure Net, I took out a new contract with Vodafone just over 3 months ago. It included the 3 month free offer for SecureNet and I tried a couple of times to cancel it but went round in circles. However I received this text on 1st July from Vodafone...

"Your Vodafone Secure Net free trial ends in 8 days. After that, it's just £1 a month to keep you and your family protected online when using our network. Remember, Vodafone Secure Net helps defend against viruses and harmful websites, with more than 8 million threats blocked since launch. Head to www.vodafone.uk/SecureNet to manage settings and to see when you're protected. We'll text again when your free trial has ended. If you decide it's not for you, just make sure you're connected to our network (not Wi-Fi) and visit www.vodafone.uk/turnoff to cancel."

I clicked the link at the bottom and turned off SecureNet.
Received this text on 2 July from Vodafone....

" Just to confirm, Vodafone Secure Net has now been deactivated on your account. Any payments will be stopped immediately, but changes to your security settings can take up to 48 hours to be applied (or simply restart your phone to update them straight away). If you change your mind and want to carry on benefitting from added protection when using our network, just visit vodafone.uk/SecureNet to reactivate Vodafone Secure Net anytime."

But I will still check my next bill just to make sure.
Hope this helps (y)
Whether its a recent issue or not I don't know but we tried many times to no avail hence my doing the web chat and hubby calling them to get secure net turned off.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Now then Mel, spill the beans ........... what is your favourite adult content site and why ............ just asking ;) :ROFLMAO:
A movie download site that hubby uses ... not saying which one though but we get to see some blockbuster films that aren't even released yet ... :giggle:

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I had no trouble turning mine off on my iphone once I realised they meant I had to turn wifi off whilst I did it. As soon as I turned wifi off and did it on 3g/4g it worked. I don’t really understand it though, it’s all magic to me!
It’s good to warn people though.

Mar 8, 2015
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout SE
Exp
Since 2015
I had no trouble turning mine off on my iphone once I realised they meant I had to turn wifi off whilst I did it. As soon as I turned wifi off and did it on 3g/4g it worked. I don’t really understand it though, it’s all magic to me!
It’s good to warn people though.
I’ve had no trouble turning mine off either. But yes you need to be on the mobile network to make the changes as this is using the mobile SIM and logs the changes better. If on Wi-fi your just using your phone over the web as an internet browser (independent to your network) and the SIM / network don’t always see or associate the changes properly.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Just had an email through from Vodafone stating they are knocking off £2pcm from my bill which will take me down to £23.50 for SF broadband and 60Gb mobile. My broadband then phone went down as I refreshed my phone contract so they have given me £50 credit. I demanded to be taken of BB contract as well then discovered I would have had to pay £6pcm extra to start a new contract. Still need to sort out my contract so I can start 'vaping'.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just had an email through from Vodafone stating they are knocking off £2pcm from my bill which will take me down to £23.50 for SF broadband and 60Gb mobile. My broadband then phone went down as I refreshed my phone contract so they have given me £50 credit. I demanded to be taken of BB contract as well then discovered I would have had to pay £6pcm extra to start a new contract. Still need to sort out my contract so I can start 'vaping'.
Can you decipher that a bit for me ...

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Can you decipher that a bit for me ...
Vodafone screwed up my phone handover as my BroadBand with them was playing up and have just chopped my bill by another £2pcm leaving my monthly bill for SuperFast Broadband 70Mb and 65Gb phone at £25.50 as well as giving me £50 back for the inconvenience over the 2 services.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had a PAYG sim in my Mifi last year I emoved the Content Restriction via live chat, no ID required, not come across Secure Net.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Had a PAYG sim in my Mifi last year I emoved the Content Restriction via live chat, no ID required, not come across Secure Net.
You must have been their super-duper extra special customer then Lenny ... some of us are mere plebs. :giggle:

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I have found that I cannot use the Opera Browser VPN on my laptop when using the phone as a mobile hot spot. I am sure that this has only occurred since renewing/changing my contract this month (well as sure as I can be at my age). Tried chatting online but that got as far as 'make sure your phone is up-to-date and switch it off and on'.
Does anyone else use Opera as a VPN on their laptop with their Vodafone Sim or does anyone use any other VPN successfully.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back