Vodafone 100Gb sim (2 Viewers)

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
I put some posts on the forum previously but obviously if you don't know they're there you won't know to go look for them! :D

Three dropped the restriction of only being able to use phone sims in phones back in April last year, since then you can use them in whatever you wish with no problem - we have a 100gb Three sim in hubby's phone but did use it in a MIFI until his previous contract ran out the same month (no point in 'loosing data we've paid for!), no problems whatsoever.

Oh, you can still use a phone sim for texts even in a MIFI as your MIFI's control panel should have this facility as that's how they send you messages.
Thanks @Minxy Girl much appreciated...

I'm with three now and have a 20Gb for £15 mobile data SIM, and would like to up my allowance, but dont like their throttling policy in Europe...

That's why the Vodafone offer in the OP caught me eye, but am really not sure if it would work for me... Do you have a view?

Thanks

Steve

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That's why the Vodafone offer in the OP caught me eye, but am really not sure if it would work for me... Do you have a view?
I've not had a Vodafone one so can't comment on the service you get from them, but others seem to be happy with theirs.

My advice is to read all the T&Cs and make notes of what's included and more importantly what's not as that could help make your mind up.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I just exchanged emails with Adam at Motorhome WiFi. He is unsure whether Vodafone will allow the sim to be used other than in a phone.

I have ordered one but will cancel if it fails to work

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I just exchanged emails with Adam at Motorhome WiFi. He is unsure whether Vodafone will allow the sim to be used other than in a phone.

I have ordered one but will cancel if it fails to work
Have you checked the T&Cs regarding cancelling? You might still end up having to pay.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Have you checked the T&Cs regarding cancelling? You might still end up having to pay.
I haven't checked yet but with almost any contract there usually has to be a short cooling off period. I do have a tablet ~I could put the SIM into in any event but will be a bit cross if it doesn't work in the router

OP
OP
Brucek

Brucek

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Funster No
Vodafone will allow you to cancel within 30 days of setting up a contract. But, does your phone work as a personal hotspot? If so can you put the SIM in it and take advantage of the unlimited calls and texts as well as data.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If you have a spare phone you could put the sim in that and tether to it.

Deleted User
I do but the only issue with that is that they limit the amount of tethered data I think

Vodafone don't limit tethering, I have been using 60 Gb allowance in my phone for streaming TV to my laptop and using a tablet both tethered to my phone for 6 months, most of which time has been in Europe.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We have a three mifi that works in most places, we also bought a Vodafone mifi as we have a 6 gb sim from Vodafone as part of our phones package, it is very rare we can use the Vodafone data as it is none existant or very slow,
I have spoken to Vodafone and they say I must be in a bad area! What all of the time?

Deleted User
We have a three mifi that works in most places, we also bought a Vodafone mifi as we have a 6 gb sim from Vodafone as part of our phones package, it is very rare we can use the Vodafone data as it is none existant or very slow,
I have spoken to Vodafone and they say I must be in a bad area! What all of the time?

I have no idea what the problem is but I have used Vodafone data in France, Spain, Portugal, various parts of the UK including the Scottish Highlands.

The signal strength obviously varies but I have been able to stream TV and certainly listen to the BBC Radio in most places.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I have no idea what the problem is but I have used Vodafone data in France, Spain, Portugal, various parts of the UK including the Scottish Highlands.

The signal strength obviously varies but I have been able to stream TV and certainly listen to the BBC Radio in most places.
Do you use a mifi ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
What are the models of MIFI you're using for each sim?

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
F1F948D0-44FE-4A4D-8C34-9F8A93A6E1A1.jpeg
64FE20B5-B56A-4941-A244-AE0C1DDE84B9.jpeg
One Vodafone
One EE but with three sim

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Just been in the Vodafone shop, my MiFi sim runs out next month so bought the 100gb job. Just put it in my Nighthawk M1 and sending this post on the service. The shop said it will be a short lived promotion as there is a survey of best SIM only deals on at the moment and they wanted to be top! Anyway it works in a Mi Fi. I would have dumped the sim in the phone but that has until August to run.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Normally I use the phone as a hub but I have just experimented and put the sim in an unlocked 3 mifi and I am using that to send this via my laptop, i also have the tablet connected.
I will give it another try once we are away this summer, I always try the Vodafone one first as it comes in with our phone package so it makes sense to try and use that data before using the three data that I pay extra to use.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
After trawling through the T&Cs as @Minxy Girl suggested, I couldn't find any reference to the allowed devices used for each SIM type, but did find that you have 30 days to cancel...

So, I've bit the bullet and signed up...

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I'm a bit late to this party but if it helps anyone I spoke to Three and they confirmed in writing that it is OK to use a phone sim an a MIFI. I'm sure you all know this but current offer is UNLIMITED everything for £20 month ........ that seems a monster bargain!

I got close to it but we are still looking for house in Cornwall and in some places Three (or others!) just dont work! So I'm sticking with GiffGaff for the time being.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I'm a bit late to this party but if it helps anyone I spoke to Three and they confirmed in writing that it is OK to use a phone sim an a MIFI. I'm sure you all know this but current offer is UNLIMITED everything for £20 month ........ that seems a monster bargain!

I got close to it but we are still looking for house in Cornwall and in some places Three (or others!) just dont work! So I'm sticking with GiffGaff for the time being.
Be careful ... the unlimited one 'appears' to have a 30gb tethering limit, whereas our 100gb one doesn't ... check the offers carefully as they seem to change.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
In theory, there should be no restrictions on using a mobile phone SIM card in a mobile broadband device/router. Doing so is covered under the EU 'Net Neutrality' guidelines adopted by UK regulator Ofcom who recently pulled up Three on this very point. Three recently stated that they had "withdrawn restrictions on the use of handset SIMs in dongles and mifis" but certainly don't overtly advertise that fact given the unlimited phone SIM is a 12 month contract and the mobile broadband one 24 month.

However, while they may have "withdrawn the restriction" we still see traffic shaping applied to unlimited handset SIM's inserted in a router that we don't see when a dedicated mobile broadband SIM card is used in an identical router sat side by site. So, while the "restriction" on being able to use a handset SIM in a mifi has gone that is not to say that other usage limitations are not applied.

With regards to Vodafone, we've had 100's of customers take out the 50GB / £30pm data SIM and some just now coming back after a successful 12 month EU trip without issue. Many have also had good success when cancelling their 30 day SIM's being put through to the retentions department who go on to offer it for £21pm for a 12 month contract if that is the only Vodafone line that you hold down to £15pm for a 12 month contract if you have (or, take out) other Vodafone SIM's. There appears to be no time or data restrictions with Vodafone and additionally, you can use manual network selection to roam onto any EU network that you can't with Three - roaming partners only, 3G only most of Europe with 4G coming onboard in certain countries where Three own the networks.

With regards to the 100GB Vodafone handset SIM, I'm loathe to be responsible for someone taking out a 12 month contract or heading off to Europe with this SIM in a router in case it stops working. I've had 'yes', 'no' and 'maybe' answers from both my direct Vodafone contacts and various Live Chat / forum replies and their T&C's don't reference this explicitly. So, as always, get it in writing that you can prior to taking out the contract and then at least you should have a path for recourse should that not be the case further down the line.

Those committing to the 100GB SIM eg @ceejayt do post up how you get on in the short-medium term. It'll be interesting to see if 100GB stays around or comes back and what happens to European roaming in the coming months.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
With both the Vodafone sim and motorhomeWiFi 4G system arriving today :clap:, I will hopefully be in a good place to let all know how I get on with it. Initially it will be just the MiFi working until I can get over to the MH and fit the Antenna in place of the Status TV Aerial. And many thanks to @Addie and Sophie for the info and help you gave me at the NEC last Fri.(y)(y)

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Those committing to the 100GB SIM
I'm lucky in that my LTE router is dual SIM, so I'll hang on to my old Three SIM until after my Easter hols, me thinks...

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
So far so good. MiFi package and sim arrived safely. sim inserted and locked into Vodafone network straight away and tethering a breeze using both of our iPhones. Will have to wait a bit before I can get over to the MH to fit the antenna.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back