LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Been running Vista Home Premium now for a couple of months on sons reccommendation. Now going back to XP. Vista just seems to use up too much of my system recources. I have a Toshiba Satellite P20, Pentium 4 3.7gz Hyper thread (dual core)processor, 2GB ram and g-force FX go 5200 graphics. Always thought I had a fast pooter but Vista just seems to hog everything. Had a look at new Toshiba laptops and to get an equivalent I would have to pay £2300 :Eeek:

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We Have a Laptop on Vista Prem, it is a Sony Viao cord 2 T5500 @1.6ghz running 1 gig of ram and a 128 mb Nvidia card, this system gets a 3.8 Windoes Experance. This is only about 6 months old and it is not the fastest comp. I have used.

We have just started using 2 new Dell base systems with Vista Prem and these are much better. Mind they are Core™ 2 Duo E6550 processor (2.33GHz) with 2 gig of 800mhz Ram.

I think the ram makes al the diffrance. I also find that Vista is quicker at Video coding etc than XP. It possable that it does some things really good and some not so well?

I would not go back to XP now but for no other reason than Vista looks better. I use XP at work and it is plain.

Richard...

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We just bought two exactly the same Dell latitude D630's 2.6ghz T7800 and both with 4G of Ram so its hard to find better spec business laptops. However One has Vista the other XP

I insisted on XP, which is why we bought Dell in the end because many makers have stopped supplying XP (probably because of threats from Microsoft) My XP machine only shows 3.5 GB of ram but it flies compared to the Vista Machine which seems clunky by comparison. I cannot recommend Vista at all, can anybody?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Jim that's why I'm going back to XP. My machine scores between 4.3 and 4.7 except for graphics which gets a 1 :cry:This is because I can't install the Vista driver for my FX go 5200 as nvidea say I have to get it from Toshiba but they don't do it for my machine. On XP this lappie is screaming fast on Vista it's poor.

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
I'd personally stick with XP - if not for the fact that a lot of other software and hardware is none too keen on Vista, rather like Apple's Leopard issues. XP is now entirely (almost) stable unlike Vista's many newbie quirks.

Eventually, we'll all end up with Vista I suppose, but I'd rather Microsoft ironed out the bugs in a year or two, and the hardware I've got will be closer to pensionable age then as well- I'm getting heartily tired of buying expensive computers (and cars and motorhomes!) that halve in value in a short space of time and end up worthless or worth very little despite working fully!!!

Laurie:Eeek:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've only got Vista on the laptop, which I usually only use when away, so don't have problems using it with peripherals.

It was a bit of a pain to set up in the first place (stopping it doing so much nannying and giving me control instead) but otherwise the only problem is that it's a bit slow to pick up the other machines on the network when I want to copy files over before trips.

On the road I normally use it for Internet access and found no problems via the mobile and bluetooth, via a BT landline at my Mum's nor via wifi at Abbey Wood a week or so ago.

Graham

jacken

Free Member
Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
charming. There's me just been out today and bought a Sony laptop with vista and you all say it's crap. !st computer i have had with Vista. Still if it's that bad, I will uninstall it and put Xp on. Will let you know.

ken

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
I appear to be the only VISTA fan :cry:

And I run the 64 bit Ultimate....

The only thing I've found is that Adobe have not released a flash player yet for 64 bit systems. Not exactly VISTA's fault. So the chat room is inaccessible to me on that system. Oh, and my 10 year old copies of Autoroute and Pirch are unable to run. So, I use those on my XP laptop.

I love the fact that VISTA will take as much RAM as you can throw at it. On x64 ultimate, you're not restricted to the 3.5 GB of XP and earlier systems.

But at the end of the day, it's personal preference.:thumb:

John S

Free Member
Nov 25, 2007
Funster No

No your not the only Vista fan. I upgraded from XP and it nearly drove me mad at first. After 3 goes of putting it on my Toshiba Satellite pro with 2gb memory, I have now done it and find it much faster than XP which I still have on my other older PC.
Also have the newer version of Office and the whole system is much faster.
Put Vista on the 4 year old PC and find it does not have the correct graphics card to run it well. Still works quie well though and is faster than XP. Done dual boot so I can pick which system I want. Scanner won't work under Vista but everything else does.

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004

And I run the 64 bit Ultimate....

The only thing I've found is that Adobe have not released a flash player yet for 64 bit systems. Not exactly VISTA's fault. So the chat room is inaccessible to me on that system. Oh, and my 10 year old copies of Autoroute and Pirch are unable to run. So, I use those on my XP laptop.

I love the fact that VISTA will take as much RAM as you can throw at it. On x64 ultimate, you're not restricted to the 3.5 GB of XP and earlier systems.

But at the end of the day, it's personal preference.:thumb:

I always thought the amount of RAM you can use was dictated by your motherboard rather than the operating system?

John S

Free Member
Nov 25, 2007
Funster No
I always thought the amount of RAM you can use was dictated by your motherboard rather than the operating system?

So did I. Never known an operating system dictate the amount of memory. Always worked on the more the better particularly now it is so cheap.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
XP only recognises a max of 3.5:RollEyes: but to be honest, a clean copy of XP on a machine with 4GB of Ram and your on easy street::bigsmile:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
hi forgetting motherboards or operating systems for a mo, a 32bit system can only address 4gig of ram, whereas a 64bit system can address 1 terrabyte.

olley

R

RockieRV

Deleted User
Microsoft has said it plans to cut the cost of its Windows Vista operating system sold at retail outlets..........

HERE

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi

So you go out and buy a duel core laptop with vista. How easy is it to take vista off and put XP onto it?

My XP machine came with recovery discs which also have the included software - bluetooth software/wireless/drivers for video card etc.

At some point unless they step over vista as they did with ME we will all have to change, does anyone still use windows 98?

stew

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
With the Fujitsu Siemens Laptops we sell They come with a Dual Load option of either Vista OR XP.

To be honest, we have more customers wanting XP than Vista.

Microsoft WILL shoot themselves in the foot if they try to pull the plug on XP.

It is used on Many Networks all over the world and there would be such an outcry they would have to back down to it.

Vista is Bloatware with bugs where XP is reasonably well sorted.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
hi Stew, yes I have an old computer in the office running 98, I use it occasionally when carol is in doing the accounts. Boots in about 60seconds, (those were the days) I can do everything that I can do on XP except run IE7 and printing is a lot slower.

I reckon if you put 98 on a modern machine it would leave xp and vista in the dust, and you would wonder why you ever needed to "upgrade"?? Maybe "Bloat" would be a better word.

Olley

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
hi Stew, yes I have an old computer in the office running 98, I use it occasionally when carol is in doing the accounts. Boots in about 60seconds, (those were the days) I can do everything that I can do on XP except run IE7 and printing is a lot slower.

I reckon if you put 98 on a modern machine it would leave xp and vista in the dust, and you would wonder why you ever needed to "upgrade"?? Maybe "Bloat" would be a better word.

Olley

Hi Olley,

How right you are.

I have recently recycled some windows 98 machines to a Youth Centre for Internet access only and they fly, even on the old Hardware, just by adding more ram.

The technical limit appears to be 2GBs. There's a bug with more than 512MBs, but theres a work around for it. More information can be found here: http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=333688

:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back