Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Eastleigh Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail tracker
Exp
Hi all
Off to Keswick Sunday, travelling up from the south and would like to take the A591 from Kendal can anyone advise how tight this road is.
Would like to take this route rather than M6

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's fine. You won't have any problems.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
When we were at Keswick the A591 had been closed by landslips during the winter. It re-opened in June/July to great fanfares, as the alternative routes were long.

We were able to do the route from Kendal to Bowness and it was fine. Double-decker buses run from Keswick to Ambleside (and on to Newby Bridge) so I don't think there will be anything to worry about.

I would advise catching buses (300metres from the site) to explore the Lakes: we went to Buttermere one day and the roads were narrow. At Honister the bus was hit by a car trying to squeeze past. The B5289 along Derwentwater was being travelled by a few vans but I wouldn't like to drive to CC Borrowdale.

Enjoy - Gordon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Good advice to not try and use your van to explore.

We based ourselves in Bowness and hired a car for a week when we did it.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
As above save the touring for the buses, use the M6 / A66 to get to the site, then explore, unless you have masses of time, it will easily add an hour to your journey to go via Kendal

The roads are really narrow off the main routes, a lot of even the A roads will not take 2 white vans side by side, but all are OK if you take it steady, you just cant presume everybody else will do the same

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
When we were at Keswick the A591 had been closed by landslips during the winter. It re-opened in June/July to great fanfares, as the alternative routes were long.

We were able to do the route from Kendal to Bowness and it was fine. Double-decker buses run from Keswick to Ambleside (and on to Newby Bridge) so I don't think there will be anything to worry about.

I would advise catching buses (300metres from the site) to explore the Lakes: we went to Buttermere one day and the roads were narrow. At Honister the bus was hit by a car trying to squeeze past. The B5289 along Derwentwater was being travelled by a few vans but I wouldn't like to drive to CC Borrowdale.

Enjoy - Gordon

The only motorised vehicle that should be here is a motorbike :D

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
You will have a slow journey from the Kendal bypass to Keswick on a Sunday in August. I would go (as DavidG says) via the M6/A66. OK its the M6 but from the A591 jct it bears no resemblance to the M6 south. I think (but I am biased) that it is one of the most scenic motorways in England.

The bus station is just up the road from the site and is one of the hubs for the buses. I think you can buy a bus day ticket for under a tenner if you don't have your bus pass and would recommend this circular service ......

and you can get on and off all day if you want.

We ventured into Keswick last Sunday on a wet afternoon and the place was heaving.

If you do go up the A591 you will drive past Hartleys at Ings who have mixed reviews as Motorhome dealers they do have a nice selection of New & Used Hobby MH's

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
The M6 through Tebay area is my favourite motorway section, Tebay services is also well worth stopping for a great farm type shop, expensive but decent quality (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back