Visiting Cheltenham & Gloucester (1 Viewer)

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
We are thinking of getting away for a few days and visiting Cheltenham and Gloucester. I have looked for places to stay with good bus links to both and have found 2 sites near Cheltenahm., Briarfields Caravan & Touring Park and Stansby Touring Park.
Has anyone experience of these or alternative suggestions.

Thanks

John

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
Use Briarfields quite often. It's an excellent site with very helpful owners and the bus stop is just over the road from the site entrance with buses every 10 mins or so.

By the way, Briarfields is now an adult only site.

Hope this helps.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Been to Briarfields, a nice site. I would describe it as a Caravan and Motorhome Club type of site and price. So a good standard. Easy walk to bus stop and a good bus service operated by Stagecoach to both Cheltenham and Gloucester. We used the bus to both and enjoyed our stay there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
We've stayed at Stansby Touring Park a few times, nice and quiet with decent facilities, also
at this time of year they have offers on.
Bus stop is on the lane outside, Gloucester one way Cheltenham the other.
Park n Ride is just down the road and a big Asda.

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
Park n Ride is just down the road and a big Asda.

I would not call that a "big" Asda as it is one of the smallest I have been in, but it is OK for shopping and is easy walking distance from Briarfields, good access to the fuel pumps in a MH too. Walking there you pass a Harvester, I would not recommend eating there.

From Briarfields you also have easy access onto the cycle path into Cheltenham.

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
I find it so sad you have to criticise me for calling it a big Asda, the smaller Asda's
don't have a fuel station

I can't see any criticism, either stated or implied, in my post. I only said that I would not call it big based on my experience at other locations, you are clearly quite entitled to your opinion of it being big if your general experience is of smaller ones.

Regarding the fuel station, I did say that it was easy access for motorhomes, but that does not make the store big. Again, in my experience, this is one of the smaller Asda fuel stations that I have seen.

I do apologise if you took offence, none at all was intended.

Apr 19, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Park in the Park and Ride then.
Quiet at night and has been used by proper travelers.
... which has spoilt it for everyone else. It’s not possible to park MHs on the P&R anymore as there have been height barriers since October, no doubt erected because of the reason you have noted. I‘m told they also parked on the racecourse and on the CMC site pitches during this year necessitating additional security measures.

Briarsfield is ok and the bus service into town is good.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Being Briar fields is at the end of the road I live on, i can say it is quite nice.
Walk over (or under) the roundabout about 100 yds from the campsite entrance and straight into the park and ride station. easy peasy.
If you are more prepared for driving but want cheap / free stop then about a mile away from that location is a brits stop /camper contact whatever you want to call it at the Gloucester Old Spot pub.
Dad was in there in his new van about three weeks ago, we went for a pint ?

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Oh and missing out the harvester is well seconded. Terrible food. I'd rather have the KFC from next door!

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Cheltenham racecourse will be open on

December 13 & 14
January 1 & 25
March 10 - 13 inclusive

subject to weather conditions of course.

But it might be a bit crowded.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Dont forget that we have two park and rides, one on the A435 at the edge of the racecourse 1mile north of town and is a 15 min walk downhill into town and this can be via Pittville Park for part of the way. It has no height barriers. Return fare is £1 per person, I seem to remember. Be sure to wait at the corect bus shelter as the local buses also pull in there!
Forgot to add that this one is ideal if arriving for a day out in Cheltenham as there is usually plenty of room for mh parking.
The other is in effect between Cheltenham and Gloucester. two very different locations ( only 1 is a city!) Briarsfield is on the nth side of the old a40 road and a short walk to the Arle Court Park and Ride. With big gates and height barriers. Stansby is further from P&R I think but probably in a quieter location.
Thats the one handy for ASDA, big or small, but it has fuel. From that P+R you can go to Gloucester or Cheltenham
Neither operate on Sundays though! There is parking in both cities but enforcements can be strict
Hope that helps
Mike
Ps as an afterthought the local D bus probably still goes via the racecourse P&R on Sundays but at nromal fare and I presume bus passes accepted!

OP
OP
lunarman

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Thanks to all who gave information.

We are currently sat in the van in Briarfields. We caught the bus to Gloucester today from right outside the site, going to Cheltenham tomorrow.
Site is good, adults only, well kept and the facilities are clean modern.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
... which has spoilt it for everyone else. It’s not possible to park MHs on the P&R anymore as there have been height barriers since October, no doubt erected because of the reason you have noted. I‘m told they also parked on the racecourse and on the CMC site pitches during this year necessitating additional security measures.

Briarsfield is ok and the bus service into town is good.

Can you not access the car park from the Racecourse entrance.

Been ages since I’ve been there, think I need a trip up there ?

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We went to Stansby as a friends meet up - as it was a little cheaper than Briarfields
Thinking of going to Briarfields next year

The Campsite recommended The Hatherley Pub which has home cooked food - trouble is we didn't find out until after we had been to the Harvester - They can't cook steak to save their lives

We used our local council travel passes to get to Cheltenham and Gloucester and thoroughly enjoyed the Gloucester Christmas Market at the Quays - - - lots and lots of freebies

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Of course, you are right!. The 94 bus which goes through the Arle Court Park and ride seems to use the old B4063 road rather than the direct A40 dual carriageway, it doesnt matter they all join up at each end.
Enjoy your weekend

Mike

Apr 19, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Can you not access the car park from the Racecourse entrance.

Been ages since I’ve been there, think I need a trip up there ?
I don’t live there, I only visit the Racecourse P&R when the CMC site is open.

I saw extensive, new height barriers being installed at all of the numerous Racecourse P&R car park entrances and exits when I was last there on October 2019. I had seen an encampment on that car park in May and heard the CMC traveller “invasion“ story first hand. I have no doubt these events are linked. The Racecourse P&R is no longer ideal for a MH day out visit to Cheltenham, although I agree that it used to be! This is a pity. I would be please to hear from anyone who knows today of a way to use any of the Cheltenham P&R facilities with a MH.

A return bus paper ticket from the Racecourse P&R to Cheltenham is £4.00 per adult.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I don’t live there, I only visit the Racecourse P&R when the CMC site is open.

I saw extensive, new height barriers being installed at all of the numerous Racecourse P&R car park entrances and exits when I was last there on October 2019. I had seen an encampment on that car park in May and heard the CMC traveller “invasion“ story first hand. I have no doubt these events are linked. The Racecourse P&R is no longer ideal for a MH day out visit to Cheltenham, although I agree that it used to be! This is a pity. I would be please to hear from anyone who knows today of a way to use any of the Cheltenham P&R facilities with a MH.

A return bus paper ticket from the Racecourse P&R to Cheltenham is £4.00 per adult.

There’s a wide side road before you get to the race course coming out of Cheltenham.

Very quiet and easy walk into Town.

Cant be used on race days as there’s restrictions in place

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Just called in at the Racecourse Park and Ride this afternoon .
Sad to say that somewhat flimsy looking height barriers are in place and they are set at 2.1m.
I say flimsy, they are not the massive structures we sometimes see but I wouldn't
20191209_135427.jpg
want to argue with one in the motorhome! Transits are perhaps tougher.

So thats height barriers at both the Cheltenham Park and Rides, perhaps the answer is to use Briarfield and the 93 or 94 bus ( free with a bus pass!)

Mike

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Just called in at the Racecourse Park and Ride this afternoon .
Sad to say that somewhat flimsy looking height barriers are in place and they are set at 2.1m.
I say flimsy, they are not the massive structures we sometimes see but I wouldn'tView attachment 351033 want to argue with one in the motorhome! Transits are perhaps tougher.

So thats height barriers at both the Cheltenham Park and Rides, perhaps the answer is to use Briarfield and the 93 or 94 bus ( free with a bus pass!)

Mike

Didn’t realise you had visited already as the thread had moved on and missed it.

I popped in yesterday and disappointed to see height barriers.

I did see a Moho in there at the last race meet so possibly it was opened up for them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back