Visited by a raptor today (1 Viewer)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
For about 2 hours this afternoon, there was a Sparrowhawk on the back lawn, steadily devouring a pigeon. Feathers everywhere. It (she, I think) was continually harassed by 3 Magpies. I have never seen that before. Magpies really are like flying Hyenas and could not wait for the Sparrowhawk to finish her dinner.

After they had all gone, I used a big Dyson to remove the hundreds of feathers. I didn't want the Duxette to see any trace when she gets back, because she is very upset when one of the garden birds dies this way.

P1010417.JPG

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Fabulous photo....

Afraid that is nature...

When we lived in Devon we witnessed a herd of Magpie`s go into a holly tree and take out 3 fledgling Blackbirds...

The parents were going wild..... rushed out to shoo them away (The magpies) but to late... :crying1:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have loads of paraquets round here. They go mental if a heron goes anywhere near them. Don’t know why they dislike herons so much but it’s quite a sight ( and sound)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have loads of paraquets round here. They go mental if a heron goes anywhere near them. Don’t know why they dislike herons so much but it’s quite a sight ( and sound)
Heron will take young birds(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
What a fantastic photo. We had a Sparrowhawk attack a Starling. The screaming from the Starling was heart rending. My chickens were upset too.

OP
OP
SpeedyDux
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
What a fantastic photo. We had a Sparrowhawk attack a Starling. The screaming from the Starling was heart rending. My chickens were upset too.

That is so sad. I feed about 30 Starlings and love to watch them. One pair nests under my roof and had 2 successful broods this summer. They recognise me and whistle back.

It was bad luck for that poor pigeon, but at least the other birds were spared today.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Lovely photo of the Sparrowhawk.

B.....dy Magpies, I know everything has a reason & place but they really are horrible birds. Once they find a nest there’s no point in chasing them off unless you can mount. 24/7 guard as they remember & come back!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Lovely photo of the Sparrowhawk.

B.....dy Magpies, I know everything has a reason & place but they really are horrible birds. Once they find a nest there’s no point in chasing them off unless you can mount. 24/7 guard as they remember & come back!
If you hate every animal that preys on others there'll be little left in nature to enjoy. It's never nice to watch but that's how it works. The human race does most of it.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Not only is it a female, but comparing it to the Magpie, it’s a big one. Wish we had a few more like her around us to keep down the populations of Collared Doves and Woodpigeons.
Nice picture.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
That is so sad. I feed about 30 Starlings and love to watch them. One pair nests under my roof and had 2 successful broods this summer. They recognise me and whistle back.

It was bad luck for that poor pigeon, but at least the other birds were spared today.

Maybe I should tell you I rushed out and drove the Raptor away and the Starling flew into the hedge to recover! Told the Raptor my garden is not his/her Deli and to go hunt elsewhere! ..... I know, I know, Raptors have babies to feed too. But hunt elsewhere, not my garden!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back