Vin chip (2 Viewers)

Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
Just thought I would let other members with new vans know that there vans should be registered with CRIS. The vin chip sticker on the window has a QR code reader that can be scanned with a mobile and should show the vehicle details (provided your dealer registered it). In my case they didn’t. They had never heard of it on motorhomes they only registered caravans. It took me numerous calls to Cris and my dealer to sort it out.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Just thought I would let other members with new vans know that there vans should be registered with CRIS. The vin chip sticker on the window has a QR code reader that can be scanned with a mobile and should show the vehicle details (provided your dealer registered it). In my case they didn’t. They had never heard of it on motorhomes they only registered caravans. It took me numerous calls to Cris and my dealer to sort it out.

£34.99 for the kit. I rang them up and ordered over the phone. It took a few weeks for the kit to arrive, but easy to fit. Two micro dot things to hide in the van, then stickers for all clear glass or plastic windows.

Been doing it for Motorhomes for a while now.

Registered on National Data Base, no further charges and transferable to new owner if you sell your van.

A simple extra layer of security. (y)

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
I’ve got it fitted.

Its not Microdots that get hidden, but 2 RFID devices that can be read by a scanner from 30m away while travelling at 70mph. i.e. Your Van can be scanned by roadside Police while your Van is on the road - thus if your van has been stolen and perhaps the number plates changed, then the hidden RFID tags transmit the tag reference codes while are linked to the CRIS database, with the real vehicle identify, owner details and status (stolen or not stolen).

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I’ve got it fitted.

Its not Microdots that get hidden, but 2 RFID devices that can be read by a scanner from 30m away while travelling at 70mph. i.e. Your Van can be scanned by roadside Police while your Van is on the road - thus if your van has been stolen and perhaps the number plates changed, then the hidden RFID tags transmit the tag reference codes while are linked to the CRIS database, with the real vehicle identify, owner details and status (stolen or not stolen).

All the window stickers are anti-tamper, and I also got stickers for the inside of the gas cupboard. (y)

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Interesting, for motorcycles there has been 'Datatag' a similar solution (with more RFID devices to identify stolen parts) for over 25 years

On my new Suzuki GSX-R 1000R it came as standard

OP
OP
Mountain man
Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
It's been around for a couple of years now https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...ful-or-interesting-stuff.205789/#post-3530186 - good to hear that it sounds like it's fitted as standard on new motorhomes. More info. on this forum if anyone interested does a search.
Yes it has been around since 2018 however my dealer in Scotland Livingstone where we bought our new van in August this year had never registered any Motorhomes until I raised it with them. I know of a least 1 other dealer who says they never registered any either, so worth checking by scanning QR just in case.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have a kit waiting to be installed when I next visit my motorhome. I think it was introduced for caravans because they are not otherwise centrally registered, unlike motorhomes. I thought for £35 it was worth adding to my security measures but for motorhomes it is really an optional accessory rather than something dealers should fit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mountain man
Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
I have a kit waiting to be installed when I next visit my motorhome. I think it was introduced for caravans because they are not otherwise centrally registered, unlike motorhomes. I thought for £35 it was worth adding to my security measures but for motorhomes it is really an optional accessory rather than something dealers should fit.
Dealers don’t need to fit it comes already installed on new vehicles they just have to registered it .

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Searching online looks like it's Auto-Trail, Elddis and Swift (from 2019) that fit VIN CHIP as standard now - hopefully all will follow eventually. Have asked CRIS who own this product if they can offer a discount code as they did previously as it seems a wise security deterrent to retrofit - will post here if any joy.

Last edited:

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
If it only cost me £34.99, it would cost dealers next to nothing if they did a deal direct with them.

Nice and easy extra layer of security. (y)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Searching online looks like it's Auto-Trail, Elddis and Swift (from 2019) that fit VIN CHIP as standard now - hopefully all will follow eventually. Have asked CRIS who own this product if they can offer a discount code as they did previously as it seems a wise security deterrent to retrofit - will post here if any joy.
Heard back from CRIS - no discounts possible on VIN CHIP at the moment :( Although it's not hugely expensive at £34.99 knowing there was a £10 discount before makes that a little disappointing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have contacted them twice about a deal for Funsters, seems like they not interested enough to even answer the emails.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I have contacted them twice about a deal for Funsters, seems like they not interested enough to even answer the emails.
I did get the Operations Director when enquiring about technical aspects of VIN CHIP so will message you with her contact details in case that is of use.

Reactions: Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back