Villagers form barricade to stop convoy of travellers (1 Viewer)

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
•Alarm raised when caravans parked up on Hoghton Cricket Club's pitch

•Players and supporters from Lancashire club organised fight back
•Local tradesman blocks entrance with lorry to prevent more incursions
•Volunteers plug remaining gaps on 24-hour shift basis through the night
•Police and council obtain a court order to have the travellers removed today

article-2365491-1AD60DCE000005DC-303_634x482.jpg

article-2365491-1AD62814000005DC-649_634x520.jpg

article-2365491-1AD60CDB000005DC-854_634x533.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...mp-cricket-field-mobile-home-parks-pitch.html

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I just heard travelelrs have invaded Bourton on the Water too but don't know how true it is... Robbed a jewellery shop there?

Catherine

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i dont think the freeloading scumbags would of been too happy if a cricket match was played on the pitch they were infesting. score six for a boundary and 12 if you smash the ball through their windows

the police are far too soft on these creatures, so community direct action is really the only way forwards. if they wont move, light bonfires on your land right beside their vans... they'd soon feck off

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
If only more communities stuck together instead of complaining from behind twitching net curtains.
It would help sort out everything from wayward teenagers to speeding motorists. We've had problems with the former in the past, the parents stuck up for their troublesome kids and nobody else dared intervene!:Angry: The village was like the wild west until they grew up and discovered girls!
Well done those people! How dare those travelers interfere with village cricket!::bigsmile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Why couldn't the police arrest the ones who damaged the square for criminal damage?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Why couldn't the police arrest the ones who damaged the square for criminal damage?
Probably too difficult to identify the actual individual without seeing the act themselves.

So far this year we have stayed at C&CC rallies at a rugby club, a cricket club and two football clubs. Obviously those are all official, the clubs receive a welcome injection of funds to keep them going and no litter is left nor trouble caused.

Hopefully the actions of these anti-social/criminal individuals will not put clubs off continuing to allow their grounds to be used for responsible events.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I just heard travelelrs have invaded Bourton on the Water too but don't know how true it is... Robbed a jewellery shop there?

Catherine

plenty on the web about this robbery but no mention of Itinerants being involved/

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011

article-2365491-1AD60DCE000005DC-303_634x482.jpg

article-2365491-1AD62814000005DC-649_634x520.jpg

article-2365491-1AD60CDB000005DC-854_634x533.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...mp-cricket-field-mobile-home-parks-pitch.html

"
Cricket club? The police were called to "bale out" the cricket club, they looked "stumped" don't they? Or did he have a dose of the "runs"and was "hit for 6"?

Bill:Smile:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994

Catherine

That robbery was on the 28th June. We were at an MCC rally (about 70 vans) there last weekend perhaps we were the travellers that invaded. :ROFLMAO:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I take it they weren't club members?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We had them descend on Bridgnorth last week and many more were on their way to join them apparently.

If they weren't such antisocial, criminal and plain dirty so & so's maybe they would be allowed to stop for a few days.

They don't do themselves any favours, do they? :Angry:

I'm sorry but that is out of order.:Angry:

Funsters do have their good points as well::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Loving the fact that thy have got the money for a £43,000 motorhome!!!:Sad:

believe me, its not a problem for them.

been working on a council travellers site near us and the place is over run with £20000 caravans, transits, expensive 4x4 pickups and high end cars....not one of them more than 4 years old.

unfortunately for the rest of us we pay council tax and income tax at a minimum 20%.

to them the word "tax man" is like the tooth fairy....a myth.

imagine how much better off you would be if you didnt pay any taxes and made a very good living from your work.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
As a liberal, extreme left wing, namby pamby do gooder I often take the side of my fellow van dwelling cousins but there is a limit...

Parking a vehicle on a CRICKET SQUARE is TOTALLY out of order.

A MAJOR sin...

Lock him up and throw away the key and crush the van...

JJ :Cool:

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
They probably haven't!

Have you checked yours is still in storage!!!!:ROFLMAO:

...Sorry!:Blush:

We have a large group of " travellers " on our local football/ recreation field. I shall be sleeping with my windows open. This happens every year in the run up to the Great Dorset Steam Fair, which saddens me to say that I shall never be going to again. My grandfather helped Mike Oliver set it up and I went for the first 25 years. My last visit a year ago terrified me, groups of grubby looking males eyeing up anything in sight. Even saw the police pull over a teenage girl carrying a pair of bolt choppers. I have never felt so unsafe in my life. My friend who shows a small engine said that they have to have 24 hour police security round their vehicles. What a sad state of affairs. I went to school with many gypsies who are disgusted by these so called travellers and do not wish to be associated with them at all. And by the way.....the burglary rate has suddenly risen in my area.......can't think why!!!

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Should have added that I didn't go to the Steam Fair for many years due to work before attending last year, to say I was shocked would be an understatement. And it should also have read ......bolt croppers. Flipping auto correct:Sad:

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
As a liberal, extreme left wing, namby pamby do gooder I often take the side of my fellow van dwelling cousins but there is a limit...

Parking a vehicle on a CRICKET SQUARE is TOTALLY out of order.

A MAJOR sin...

Lock him up and throw away the key and crush the van...

JJ :Cool:
how can you be liberal AND extreme left wing JJ:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We have a large group of " travellers " on our local football/ recreation field. I shall be sleeping with my windows open. This happens every year in the run up to the Great Dorset Steam Fair, which saddens me to say that I shall never be going to again. My grandfather helped Mike Oliver set it up and I went for the first 25 years. My last visit a year ago terrified me, groups of grubby looking males eyeing up anything in sight. Even saw the police pull over a teenage girl carrying a pair of bolt choppers. I have never felt so unsafe in my life. My friend who shows a small engine said that they have to have 24 hour police security round their vehicles. What a sad state of affairs. I went to school with many gypsies who are disgusted by these so called travellers and do not wish to be associated with them at all. And by the way.....the burglary rate has suddenly risen in my area.......can't think why!!!

Agreed.....gypsies are not the trouble causers.....so called travellers are.

proper gypsies will show respect if treated with respect....tinkers will steal the teeth off your comb given chance.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi great show dorset steam fair . we used to go when it was by the river in blandford .before it got really big . must have been in the mid 60,s .
but went to alot more in the 90,s when i had shares with a mate in a traction engine ., all good crowd mostly .
its like the vw shows they got spoilt by thieves in the 90,s . you had to stay and guard your stock as they raided the marques if they could . once had a trike body nicked and thrown over the fence .luckily someone saw it and we got it back . i feel sorry for traders these days stock just walks it seems .

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
It started as Stourpaine, in 1969. Originally for traction engines and agriculture machinery. I was 5 years old and everyone knew each other, I would wander round all day in and out of all the crowds without a care in the world, polish some of the brass and sit in the coal bucket on the Suffolk Punch ploughing engine....such simple days. It has lost it's way in my mind, it is little more than a huge car boot sale with the original features as almost a sideline. It is way too big and the too expensive. Not an enjoyable experience sadly. I understand progress but it has attracted some very unsavoury characters who are impossible to keep tack of. My grandmother had an old Bedford motorhome complete with the old chequered Tupperware mugs, fond memories. ::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

That happened near here........

The police/council threatened to book the people for causing an obstruction. So the playing field filled with vans but they did move on a week later as they said they would.

Very mixed feelings on that one.

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09

been working on a council travellers site near us and the place is over run with £20000 caravans, transits, expensive 4x4 pickups and high end cars....not one of them more than 4 years old.

[COLOR="LightBlue"[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]]unfortunately for the rest of us we pay council tax and income tax at a minimum 20%[/COLOR].[/COLOR]

imagine how much better off you would be if you didnt pay any taxes and made a very good living from your work

Those who employ them to save a few bob are equally to blame.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.

[COLOR="LightBlue"[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]]unfortunately for the rest of us we pay council tax and income tax at a minimum 20%[/COLOR].[/COLOR]

imagine how much better off you would be if you didnt pay any taxes and made a very good living from your work

Those who employ them to save a few bob are equally to blame.

This is so true. :thumb: no insurance, public liability , let alone paying tax. Then moan when they get a crap job done. :RollEyes:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Probably too difficult to identify the actual individual without seeing the act themselves.

So far this year we have stayed at C&CC rallies at a rugby club, a cricket club and two football clubs. Obviously those are all official, the clubs receive a welcome injection of funds to keep them going and no litter is left nor trouble caused.

Hopefully the actions of these anti-social/criminal individuals will not put clubs off continuing to allow their grounds to be used for responsible events.

There was a video of the cretin doing it, and a copper was watching at the time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back