Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In my experience Ken, the smalll walking satnav software is OK but just cannot beat a map and a compass. That said it is extremely usefull to pinpoint your location, but I find that most beneficial when that position is then transferred to a paper map which beats any electronic map for route planning and exploring. They are a great aid but dont leave the map and compass at home if you are off out into the blue yonder. Go on treat yourself, it looks good:thumb:

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Always carry a compass Jim. We use the "landranger series" for walking. One of the things that set me thinking was my daughters partner and two of their children recently did the Lyke Wake Walk. we provided the map n compass but in the night after 30+miles they were about 1/2 mile off and took the wrong track:Eeek:ended up doing about 40 miles but very disappointed they didn't complete the actual route and couldn't claim their badges. Kids were mortified. I thought that as my phone was capable (with a bluetooth gps receiver don't sell one in the shop do you?) I can pinpoint my position and situations like that can be avoided. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi All,

Seems like forever since I have been on here!

I used to buy the OS maps whenever needed direct from OS. However, best thing I ever did was get the complete set of OS DVD's called Memory Map.

This allows me to either print off if necessary or for work I can plot a line between two references and show a direct line profile, see this for a job I did recently:

FarBaulkertoRufford.jpg

It makes short work of deciding if I need to survey, take a big aerial or not. In terms of visiting and walking it is also very simple to use.

Regards

Chris

Mrs Munchie

Funster
Jan 3, 2008
Champagnac-La-Riviere
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi All,

Seems like forever since I have been on here!

I used to buy the OS maps whenever needed direct from OS. However, best thing I ever did was get the complete set of OS DVD's called Memory Map.

This allows me to either print off if necessary or for work I can plot a line between two references and show a direct line profile, see this for a job I did recently:

FarBaulkertoRufford.jpg

It makes short work of deciding if I need to survey, take a big aerial or not. In terms of visiting and walking it is also very simple to use.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris, I've decided against Landranger as you can't bring them up on the compter to plot routes and then input to phone. Can you do this with Memory Map?

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi mrsksebruce,

Not really sure, it is not the reason I use the software. I have dedicated sat nav in the cars and a Tom Tom pda running in the RV.

However, it does say here that you can use the GPS:

Link Removed

Note tried it myself.

Regards

Chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries