celticmini

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
We are planning on visiting Vienna in may, two weeks or so down, week there and two weeks or so back.

Any places to stay on way to or from Vienna? We tend to start and end our trips at Ypres for the beer!

Any advice on Vienna stellplatz and getting around?

Any advice on Vienna with a dog?

Any help or advice appreciate later.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
There's a purpose built Wohnmobilplatz in Vienna itself which will probably do the job, but on our recent trip we opted for the Donaupark campsite just outside the city at Klosterneuburg, so we could have a break from the urban environment. Plenty of public transport options from there or near there including bus, tram, train, and metro.

Plenty of bloated gilded palaces in Vienna if you like that sort of thing (I don't) - I preferred the art gallery and the natural history museum, which are opposite each other.

If you're going to try traditional schnitzel, the place to go is Figlmuller's - not overly expensive but popular with tourists so go in and book in advance.

Billa is one of the main supermarket chains in Austria, so a POI file for them is handy on a SatNav.

Of the places in the general direction between Ypres and Vienna that we liked Cologne/Koln, Munich, and Salzburg all spring to mind. If you don't mind a detour Lake Konstanz/Bodensee is lovely.

I take it you've discovered Rochefort No 10 Trappist beer at Ypres already? If not then go ye and seek it out. Christmas Dinner in a bottle. :)

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
We did Vienna in May about 8 yrs ago with out dog. We were on a site just on the edge of the city. We cycled across the bridge into the city, the bridge had a cycle path running underneath. We've done many European cities but this in my opinion is the nicest city in Europe. Excellent for cycling, we were lucky it was the weekend and the weather was good as there were lots of events eg free music concerts in the parks. We used the cycle buggy for the dog and followed one or two of the tourist horse driven tourist trips around the city. That way we saw most of the main attractions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Im told it maybe an age thing?
Some folk on here too old to understand
They think Ultravox is something you take for rheumatism
Not that I would suggest that :)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Vienna means nothing to me

Sorry I will get my coat now:)
images (5)_1.jpg

M50

Apr 25, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
We were there at christmas
We stayed at Vien West google will find it for you, it was quite basic but we didn't mind as we only use the facilities in our motorhome, unlike many sites in Austria the electric was included in the overnight costs, its also within walking distance to the underground system closest station
All the staff we encountered at the site spoke English.
Dogs not a problem we even did as the natives do and took her in the shops apart from that if you plan to use public transport then the dog must be muzzled not sure if its 100% correct but we were told thats there law when using their transport.

Not sure what size motor home you have but do your homework and read up on the Vignette 3500 Kgs max or Go Box option for over 3500Kgs if you don't already know all the details.

have a great time......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back