bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi we are going to Portugal in January, has anyone used the Vielha Tunnel and is there a toll on it. Many Thanks Bob.:thumb:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi!

I crossed it 4 or 5 years ago.... and it's just awfull! narrow and very old, water everywhere pfffff! I'll check for you on french web wether they repaired or changed anything there! Are we talking about the same tunnel? it's supposed to be after crossing Luchon, isn't it?

Best regards
Frankie:Smile:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, This link may help

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi thanks for the reply and your help, I was told they had built a new tunnel, and googled and saw a thread on another site which he said:

Yes the new Vielha tunnel is open - I have just come back that way. The tunnel is excellent, wide, straight and very well lit though we had heavy snow both ends the day we came through! The route is much quieter and shorter than going via Perpignan or Biarritz and their are no tolls! .

And thats all I have found at the moment, we will have to see, If it has not been open that long maybe no one has been through it, that was posted on the Apr 11 2008 Many Thanks. Bob.::bigsmile:

BarrieAvis

Free Member
Oct 4, 2009
Funster No
It's Brilliant.

Came through the Vielha Tunnel on Friday. It is now absolutely brilliant.

The old tunnel was atrocious (narrow, fume-choked, pot-holed) when we last used it about 3 years ago, but a new tunnel was being bored alongside it. That is now open.

There are two lanes southbound (i.e. the uphill direction) and one northbound.

The old tunnel is now being enlarged too so when that opens there will be three lanes each way.

There are no tolls and the gradients up to the tunnels are easy on both sides.

For the last couple of years we have used the Bielsa tunnel as that was not as bad as the old Vielha tunnel. That one has steep gradients up to it on the French side.

The other tunnel that is very good is the Somport, somewhat further west, but the approach roads on the French side are not as good.

Of course in January you just might need snow chains. You cannot us them *through* the tunnel but there are pull-off areas at both ends for fitting them.

Have a good trip.

Barrie ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i have used the velha tunnel ,i thought it was a great achievment and yes it was abit scary at times .thought it was never going to end. an experiance not to be missed . or go over the top its beautifull as well specially after the snow.

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Bob, The tunnel is fine and no tolls as been mentioned.The route through from France to Spain is Fab but it must be suitable for the journey you intend to do. The vielha is good from LeHavre or Calais to Barcelona side of Spain not Portugal , this area to be accessed from west coast France into northen Spain Via Burgos and westward towards Salamanca. There are plenty of free motorways in France from the above ports into Spain.
Good luck on your journey. PS I'm due through the tunnel again next week on my way back from Tarragona area.
Ron W

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back