Video tape to USB drive? (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi techno wiz's ::bigsmile: I want a cheap way to record a few video tapes onto my USB drive, can I get a scart to PC lead of some sort, and a free programme to read the tape and record it.

I have VLC which I have been using to rip dvd's, will that do tape's?

Olley

gogocrosby

Free Member
Apr 2, 2009
Morpeth, Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
12 years
Video is analogue technology which means you have to have a new piece of kit (hardware) to convert to digital, then you can use software VLC to convert to your choosen device.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I had a small 12v VHS player, I would have thought that might be easier. If I could remember where I put it I would offer it to you.

If you can get them on your PC then you could burn them to a CD or DVD and play directly (if you have a DVD player on your TV that is)

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi bought a similar device to the one maplins flog of ebay for a tenner. ::bigsmile: I can then get them on to my portable usb drive, and then using the Xenta I can watch them on the telly.

Just been looking at USB prices, you can buy a 1.5Tb drive for £80, amazing to think that will store over 300 DVD's :whatthe:

Olley

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Well its been a great few days...........................not. Can't get the Xenta to work properly, so its in the bin, or FOC to anyone who wants it.

I can rip the DVD's and they play fine on the computer via VLC, even joined the VOB's into one single VOB' but noway will they play using the Xenta. So I am going to buy a screen to TV by wifi gizmo, it transmits what's on the computer screen by wifi to the telly, and is supposed to work fine with movies. [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Q-Waves-Wireless-USB-HDMI-Extender/dp/B002RL9F38[/ame]

While I save my pennies for that, I proceeded to try to copy my VHS tapes, bought an analogue to digital converter for a tenner, and a scart to phono for a fiver, great fire up ulead video studio, and start recording, after 5mins it stops :Angry: try again, same result, ok try the other recorder, this stops after about 10mins. :Angry:

Time to do some googling; copy protection! the tape has a signal on it which alerts ulead that its copy protected and it stop's recording. :Doh: Ok try MS moviemaker, that doesn't stop, but seems to good to be true, which it is. Listen to the playback and there's a continuous beat in the background, which I suppose is what ulead was picking up.

So that's the end of my VHS copying adventure, for what the bits cost I could almost have bought the only vid I really wanted to copy. :Doh:

Its just started raining, so that's the bar-b up the spout. Happy days. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back