Victron Smart shunt playing up (1 Viewer)

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
I installed a Victron Smart shunt a few months back. Now since installation I have had no issues with the Bluetooth info displayed when I was checking the battery levels when the inverter was in use and the batteries were under load. This last week I was monitoring the shunt via iPhone whilst good lady was giving the batteries a hard time with the Dyson hairdryer. Then for some reason the connection between shunt and iPhone stopped. When I tried to reconnect via iPhone, a note was displayed that the shunt was connected to another device. This I found strange as the only App for the shunt is on my phone. Checked all gadgets on board to see if there was a bluetooth connection and non were shown.
I was on an Aire at the time so thought that maybe the shunt had somehow connected to another bluetooth system so left it be. Travelled over the last week and every time checking shunt still the same user note' Connected to another device'.
I have disconnected the negative to the shunt to see if that resets - No joy. Disconnected and re installed the Victron App- No joy. Now before I go down the route and removing the two batteries to get to the shunt and remove the live feed, which will be a pain, any thoughts as to what the issue could be.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Did you change the pin number from the default when you first installed it? If not has someone else accidentally logged onto yours and changed the pin?

Edit: if you need to reset the pin number, you will need the puk code from a label on the back, on the device list tap the three dots next to the device and follow the instructions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Did you change the pin number from the default when you first installed it? If not has someone else accidentally logged onto yours and changed the pin?

Edit: if you need to reset the pin number, you will need the puk code from a label on the back, on the device list tap the three dots next to the device and follow the instructions.
I don’t recall changing PIN so I shall go with no I did not. Would the fact that I disconnected the negative supply then forced the shunt to pair again ? When I go into the menu bar of victron app I can see the shunt it also shows tgd signal fan being picked up. When I deleted the shunt from my blue tooth menu. My phone now cannot find the shunt. I recall you searched for the shunt through the app but as I have said when I reinstalled the app the shunt is already listed so I’m stuck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
There was another tread about the solar charger not working on Bluetooth.
Try go to Bluetooth settings, the forget device. After that scan an re pair device. Then and after pairing open the victron app.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I don’t recall changing PIN so I shall go with no I did not. Would the fact that I disconnected the negative supply then forced the shunt to pair again ? When I go into the menu bar of victron app I can see the shunt it also shows tgd signal fan being picked up. When I deleted the shunt from my blue tooth menu. My phone now cannot find the shunt. I recall you searched for the shunt through the app but as I have said when I reinstalled the app the shunt is already listed so I’m stuck
If you've some how turned off Bluetooth on the shunt I think you will be in trouble, maybe if you disconnect the positive feed to the shunt wait a minute and then reconnect it, it will go into pairing mode, however I'm guessing now to be honest.

Edit: the manual is available on the Internet which may be helpful.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
There was another tread about the solar charger not working on Bluetooth.
Try go to Bluetooth settings, the forget device. After that scan an re pair device. Then and after pairing open the victron app.
Yes have done that. Now my Bluetooth list on phone does not show the shunt. iPhone cannot find it on its own. Instruction from victron clearly states find the shunt through the app. I deleted app from my phone and then installed victron app on wife’s phone. It then found shunt but again pop up box states linked to another phone. Problem about resetting via app is tfat I cannot open the shunt through the app to reset pin as the pop up box comes up. So something must have blown

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
If you've some how turned off Bluetooth on the shunt I think you will be in trouble, maybe if you disconnect the positive feed to the shunt wait a minute and then reconnect it, it will go into pairing mode, however I'm guessing now to be honest.
Yes that’s my next task it’s needs be to strip down and remove batteries to get to where. Put the shunt, after a cup of coffee sitting in this 28* Spanish sun. You can tell I have got nothing better to do than sort out a tech problem before wine o’clock

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Yes that’s my next task it’s needs be to strip down and remove batteries to get to where. Put the shunt, after a cup of coffee sitting in this 28* Spanish sun. You can tell I have got nothing better to do than sort out a tech problem before wine o’clock
Having had a quick scan through the manual if you still can't connect through Bluetooth there is a USB interface which you might be able to use to connect to a laptop.

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Well I shall be sending the unit back for exchange when I get back if it’s going to cost me money and no guarantee that it will work. I didn’t press anything at the time. I was looking at the screen watching my batteries being drained in good order by the good lady then it just shutdown snd I have had the issue since trying to connect

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
I thought the +feed had a fuse in it supplied by victron, can you not get to that to disconnect it?
Yes I will be going that later. As I said I found the only place in the battery box that I could fit the shunt and that is at the back. I will now need to strip down the two batteries snd get them out to get to the shunt

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Yeah sounds like the bluetooth is f***Ed When you power cycle it,it will probs come back but for how long?

Maybe add an accessible switch while you are at it if your unit is tucked away.

Each time you power it up though you would have to re add the battery info etc....not ideal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back