Motorhomer14

Free Member
May 6, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria twin supreme
Exp
Hi all. I have installed a Orion TR B2B and would like some advice on the settings.

I have an AGM battery. I setup the setting on the pre-set AGM spiral cell setting which will be the following.

Absorption voltage 14.7v

Float Voltage 13.8v

Bulk time limit 10h

re-bulk voltage offset 0.4v

adaptive absorption time on

max absorption time 6h

We run our battery down by 12% which is shown on our capacity gauge. When we was driving at first it was charging all ok then at 91% charge the B2B stopped charging saying the battery was fully charged. Not good as it was not fully charged.

I do not know what setting to change so I changed it to Factory default and it started charging again but factory default states LifePo4

Setting for this are

Absorption voltage 14.2v

Float Voltage 13.5v

Bulk time limit greyed out

re-bulk voltage offset 0.1v

adaptive absorption time off

Fixed absorption time 2h

What should be my ideal setting as at the moment I am not getting 100% charge making this device unusable

OP
OP
Motorhomer14

Motorhomer14

Free Member
May 6, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria twin supreme
Exp
Do you trust your battery monitor‘s 91%?
No not really but if I change the setting to LiFePO4 the battery monitor starts showing an input current so from that I would expect it still would take a charge. Also on EHU it starts charging again. How would I know when it's fully charged.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Motorhomer14

Motorhomer14

Free Member
May 6, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria twin supreme
Exp
Would be nice to know the correct settings for my battery. I have LiFePO4 battery coming in July which will have Bluetooth so it will be interesting then if they get fully charged with the B2B

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Perhaps get it up to full charge on EHU and then synchronise the battery monitor.

I have a LiFePO4 battery and they are easy, they just stop taking Amps when they are full.

OP
OP
Motorhomer14

Motorhomer14

Free Member
May 6, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria twin supreme
Exp
It was up to 100% charge before we left home. Battery monitor which is a Tr16/ shunt type was set to read 100% capacity. So it's now showing 90% charged and the B2B is switching off. If I set the B2B to lithium it starts charging again. This why I think it's a B2B setup issue.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
How have you wired the B2B in relation to the leisure battery and the original system for charging it whilst driving?

OP
OP
Motorhomer14

Motorhomer14

Free Member
May 6, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria twin supreme
Exp
Direct cable from starter battery 16mm to B2B then direct to leisure battery. 16mm. Both with 40 amp circuit breakers. This should be all ok as it is charging up to about 90% and it kicks back in when I set it to LiFePO4. I expect it's something to do with the Victron setting.
I am going home today so will let it charge on AGM setting then when I get home I will connect to EHU and see if me shunt meter goes to 100%

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Direct cable from starter battery 16mm to B2B then direct to leisure battery. 16mm. Both with 40 amp circuit breakers. This should be all ok as it is charging up to about 90% and it kicks back in when I set it to LiFePO4. I expect it's something to do with the Victron setting.
I am going home today so will let it charge on AGM setting then when I get home I will connect to EHU and see if me shunt meter goes to 100%
If you have not disabled the original charging link you will be creating an electrical loop and this is very likely to be the source of your problem. It interferes with the B2B’s ability to monitor the leisure battery. The LiFePO4 profile parameters may well be less affected by the confusion the old link causes than the lead acid profile, hence the different behaviour.

OP
OP
Motorhomer14

Motorhomer14

Free Member
May 6, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria twin supreme
Exp
I have remover the fuse and old starter battery cable from the EBL electrical connection so it should not be charging this way. Will recheck this during the week

OP
OP
Motorhomer14

Motorhomer14

Free Member
May 6, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria twin supreme
Exp
Come to think of it. If the old charging circuit was still connected then my battery monitor will be showing a charge current which it does not. When the victron turns off the battery gauge shows no charge current going in.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have remover the fuse and old starter battery cable from the EBL electrical connection so it should not be charging this way. Will recheck this during the week

Come to think of it. If the old charging circuit was still connected then my battery monitor will be showing a charge current which it does not. When the victron turns off the battery gauge shows no charge current going in.
Might well be ok then.

When I first installed a B2B I had an EBL29 and got some very odd behaviour until I changed the wiring to feed the B2B output through the EBL rather than around it.

OP
OP
Motorhomer14

Motorhomer14

Free Member
May 6, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria twin supreme
Exp
Interesting not sure why. I have removed the starter battery to the EBL so it's only acting as a fuse box. Will have to do some more research on this

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Interesting not sure why. I have removed the starter battery to the EBL so it's only acting as a fuse box. Will have to do some more research on this
As I said it might well be ok. However there could be another connection to the starter battery for the fridge and I have no idea whether this would be isolated from the engine battery connection you have removed when the engine is running.

I take it that your battery monitor shunt is connected to the battery negative and not one built into the EBL.

OP
OP
Motorhomer14

Motorhomer14

Free Member
May 6, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria twin supreme
Exp
There is a D+ connection from the ignition which changes over a relay so the fridge runs on starter battery but this supply is isolated from the main charging circuit. If anything was bypassing the B2B then my gauge will show a charge still going into the battery. The shunt is external and connected inline on neutral right by the battery. So far we are on the road the it's showing a charge at 91% so will see what happens today.

OP
OP
Motorhomer14

Motorhomer14

Free Member
May 6, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria twin supreme
Exp
So far the gauge is showing 92% charged and the victron has gone into float charge very low charge now. My theory is the victron is looking at voltage levels which is not ideal way to see the state of battery charge where as the gauge is reading the current in and out. I expect there must be a setting I can change.

OP
OP
Motorhomer14

Motorhomer14

Free Member
May 6, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria twin supreme
Exp
We did just over an hour's drive home victron was charging on float all way home. Got to 92.8% charge. Got above the 91% that it previously shut down at. Now at home put on EHU and have near 100% charged. Batteries still taking 2 amps. So cannot see why the other day this unit turned off when it was only 91% charged. Capacity gauge seems all ok. Something about this controller that is not write

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back