Victron or Voltronics ? (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2010
OK, as you may have seen from my "EBL99 Stopped working post"; i think i'm all fixed on that now with the EBL99 now repaired and an auxiliary 18A charger added. All appears to be working well. (y)

So now back to my Solar charger upgrade from 10 months ago.
I removed the Sunsaver 6 charger as I began to mistrust it after I observed what it appeared to be doing (monitoring via my Victron BMV600 & a Fox D1 display connected to the Sunsaver). Also I didn't like the way it was 'spliced' into the cables from the EBL to the Batteries :rolleyes:

I want to install an MPPT charger & have decided that it will be either the Victron (75/15) or the Votronic (250 Duo). The max solar cells I well ever go to will be 200 W. (currently 100 W)

The Victron is only a single charge output. Good; ..... so really simple to install. But will only charge the Leisure batteries. (I don't want to mess about with wiring / split relays etc... to charge the starter battery)

The Voltronic is dual output but looks a more complex product with; Appliance output; Starter battery output and a (single) connection to an EBL (I don't understand what this connection is for ?)

My view is; I am never stationary at a site for more than 3 days (without being on EHU) for me to worry about needing "solar" to charge the starter battery. i.e. i'm on the move or I connect to EHU.

Therefore I reckon the Victron is quite good enough for me.
HOWEVER: Questions ...... I cannot see any significant advantages in connecting the Victron solar charger to Block 6 of the EBL99. As I believe, all the EBL99 will do is : o_O

1.) If not on EHU, the EBL99 simply passes through the solar charge current (through an internal 15A fuse) to the batteries.
2.) When on EHU, the EBL99 will "see" the solar charger voltage and is likely to only charge the batteries when it's 1st connected (i.e. the initial Boost timed period set in the EBL) and after .... that only when the batteries are demanding more than the solar charger can provide.

So, with an EBL99 & MPPT solar charger I cannot see any disadvantage in connecting straight to the batteries. (the EBL99 will still 'see' the solar charge voltage at the batteries & so will still operate as point 2.) above ... ?)

If i'm mistaken or I am not considering some other important factor(s) .... comments welcome please. :unsure:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes, that is correct the EBL99 is a straight pass through via a fuse but connecting via the EBL makes the wiring a lot easier. I know you said you are not bothered about charging the starter battery but it is very easy to wire a split charge relay via the EBL.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Both are good controllers. If you do go for the Victon, all you need to charge the starter battery too is a Battery Master, available from Jim's shop (see advert on the right, or below if reading on a phone). Very easy to fit, just connect at the back of the EBL.

With the EBL99, it doesn't matter whether you connect the controller straight to the batteries or to the EBL. Do whichever is most convenient.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I will be buying a votronic as I want the AGM settings and the starter battery output.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I have seen voltronic "products" badged with differently so not sure they design and manufacture all their own products.

Victron are huge in the multi million pound marine market, designing anfd manufacuting bespoke systems

We can sell either, I'd only fit Victron on my own motorhome

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I have seen voltronic "products" badged with differently so not sure they design and manufacture all their own products.

Victron are huge in the multi million pound marine market, designing anfd manufacuting bespoke systems

We can sell either, I'd only fit Victron on my own motorhome

Votronic do design their own and they are made in Germany (so I have been told), Alden have them made by them. If you ask about Votronic on German forums they are highly thought of. Schaudt also recommend them if (If they are out of stock of their own MPPT regulator). I have no doubt that Victron do top quality products for marine etc, but is their lower priced motorhome gear the same quality. Ive seen Chinese regulators that look exactly the same as Victron. Are they copies or do Victron have their lower end stuff made in China?

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I had a Victron 75/15 MPPT solar controller managing a 150W solar panel connected to my Shauldt EBL119 by @eddievanbitz last week, and he used a Battery Master to keep the Starter battery topped up. ;)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Votronic do design their own and they are made in Germany (so I have been told), Alden have them made by them. If you ask about Votronic on German forums they are highly thought of. Schaudt also recommend them if (If they are out of stock of their own MPPT regulator). I have no doubt that Victron do top quality products for marine etc, but is their lower priced motorhome gear the same quality. Ive seen Chinese regulators that look exactly the same as Victron. Are they copies or do Victron have their lower end stuff made in China?
Do you have a link?

As I understand it it, the quality is always the same, the bits are just smaller

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I believe Votronic equipment is made in Germany and in the past, Udo Lang at Schaudt recommended their battery computer to fit alongside my EBL99 (in the event I did not spend the money to buy and fit it).
Here is a picture of one of the Votronic regulators clearly marked 'Made in Germany'.

MPP_165_1710.jpg

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Ive seen Chinese regulators that look exactly the same as Victron. Are they copies or do Victron have their lower end stuff made in China?
They had them at shows.
Ah!

Well I have never seen Victron stuff rebadged, and we import Victron direct from Holland, so are always looking at pricing and supply.

If you can provide a link to copy Victron equipment I'll make sure Victron get it

Victron of course is standard fit in a lot of the higher end German Motorhomes.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Ah!

Well I have never seen Victron stuff rebadged, and we import Victron direct from Holland, so are always looking at pricing and supply.

If you can provide a link to copy Victron equipment I'll make sure Victron get it

Victron of course is standard fit in a lot of the higher end German Motorhomes.

I don't think its Victron rebadged exactly, its either that Victron get stuff made in china and the same factory supplies other brands, or its an item designed to look exactly like victron but with out the name,

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I don't think its Victron rebadged exactly, its either that Victron get stuff made in china and the same factory supplies other brands, or its an item designed to look exactly like victron but with out the name,
I'll check on the first, and you can hardly blame Victron for the latter

LOL The world is a confusing place

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I'll check on the first, and you can hardly blame Victron for the latter

LOL The world is a confusing place
Thats an in interesting link Eddie, I am assuming that the OP really meant "votronic" when he typed "voltronic" your link to "voltronicpower" seems to show the MPPT controller that is sold as "solar" and much favoured bt @Techno and others.

Martin

OP
OP
iceclimber
Jan 19, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2010
Oops ......... Title of my Post should have read "Victron or Votronic" :notworthy: ! (as in the post I referred to the Votronic (250 Duo)

Amazing that there is also a Voltronic Solar product ? Is it possible that this where the Chinese vs German origin of manufacture / design debate has crept in :sick: ?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Oops ......... Title of my Post should have read "Victron or Votronic" :notworthy: ! (as in the post I referred to the Votronic (250 Duo)

Amazing that there is also a Voltronic Solar product ? Is it possible that this where the Chinese vs German origin of manufacture / design debate has crept in :sick: ?
I knew what you meant;) but at that point I didn't know that there was such a manufacturer as Voltronic.

Martin

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Thats an in interesting link Eddie, I am assuming that the OP really meant "votronic" when he typed "voltronic" your link to "voltronicpower" seems to show the MPPT controller that is sold as "solar" and much favoured bt @Techno and others.

Martin
I only posted it as Jesport said Victron have stuff made in China or knock off, but no supporting proof, just "he thinks" so, for a giggle I posted the link

Both, as Trump would say "Fake news";)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back