Victron Multiplus Compact Inverter/Charger (1 Viewer)

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Well yesterday was spent installing my new purchase :). I went for the compact version, 1600w peak 3000w with a 70amp charger and pure sine wave inverter which fitted nicely where my modified sine wave inverter was installed, in the garage.
IMG_8042.JPG

My battery bank is just below the inverter so it was basically a swap out. I then had to run two mains cables and a RJ45 patch cable (you can just see the white cables behind the inverter). Both the mains cables were run to the main fuse board. One was used for the AC IN to the inverter so all I did was disconnect the mains in from the main fuse and connect to this cable. The other was the AC OUT from the inverter which simply connected to the main fuse (which I'd removed to connect to the AC IN)

IMG_8045.JPG

The pain of a job was running the RJ45 patch cable from the inverter to above the hab door where I was mounting the control panel, but luckily fish wire and a little perseverance I managed to route the cable along the rest of the cabling behind the fridge etc.

IMG_8043.JPG

IMG_8048.JPG

Very pleased with the setup. These is simply a on/off/charger only switch and a dial to set the incoming amps. So in the 'on' position if the mains electric trips it switches automatically over to inverter within 20milliseconds so anything which is on stays on. Once power is restored it reverts back to charger mode to replenish any power taken from the batteries. In the 'off' position this isolates any incoming mains to the van. In the charger only position, your battery bank is been charged and if mains fails it simply does nothing until mains is back on. I store van at home so will just leave it set on charger only position because if mains fails for whatever reason I wouldn't want the inverter taking over and powering the Alde heating and EBL (float charging hab/van batteries etc)

While I was doing this I installed a bluetooth battery monitor which simply connects to any battery(s) and download an app which allows you to monitor the voltage as I have a totally separate battery bank running my inverter which connects via an intelligent relay to the hab batteries when they are been charged (either via alternator or solar) just to top up the inverter battery bank as I carry a 240v 45 litre Waeco freezer in the back when we go off for a few months and run the inverter whilst travelling.

IMG_8046.PNG

KeithMak

Free Member
Nov 10, 2016
South West
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Hi

Have you adjusted the settings of the Victron, for battery type, capacity, charging and many other settings available.

For instance although it says a 70 amp charger the unit leaves the factory with the charger set to 75% of maximum.

There is also power assist that can turned ON or OFF.

Power Assist is where for instance the external supply is a maximum of 6amps (that you will have to set on the control panel) and wish to use a higher load the batteries/inverter will switch ON and assist up to the maximum the batteries/inverter can supply. When the load is reduced, to that of the external supply the inverter turns OFF and the recharging of the batteries takes place.

You will need a PC, the program (downloadable free from Victron) and an interface also available from VIctron.

Not wishing to teach anyone to suck eggs :) and if you already know all his just ignore me.

OP
OP
dpsuk999
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Keith,

Yes I've got the v-mk2-usb interface cable with software and had a look at the settings before I installed it, so set it up (y) and tested it. I had it plugged into mains at home, had my mac plugged in in the MH and pulled the mains plug and immediately switched over to inverter without any loss of power. I then turned the power dial down on the control panel above the door whilst having the Alde heating set at 2kw and when I got just before 8amps the inverter kicked in to supplement the supply, great bit of kit :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

KeithMak

Free Member
Nov 10, 2016
South West
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Good to hear that, I know of quite a few people that had similar units and had no idea of its capability.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back