Victron MPPT solar controller (1 Viewer)

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
The Victron Solar panel controller instructions state the below, my question is do I need to use the battery life setting as I have no load on the controller?

Battery Life: intelligent battery management When a solar charge controller is not able to recharge the battery to its full capacity within one day, the result is often that the battery will continually be cycled between a ‘partially charged’ state and the ‘end of discharge’ state. This mode of operation (no regular full recharge) will destroy a lead-acid battery within weeks or months. The Battery Life algorithm will monitor the state of charge of the battery and, if needed, day by day slightly increase the load disconnect level (i.e. disconnect the load earlier) until the harvested solar energy is sufficient to recharge the battery to nearly the full 100%. From that point onwards the load disconnect level will be modulated so that a nearly 100% recharge is achieved about once every week.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
No, assuming you don't have anything attached to the load terminals, which is the way these are normally connected - only the battery terminals used. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
No
As above only applies when you have something connected to the load terminals

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Thanks for the replies but just to confirm, looking at the Victron guide below which 1 of the other 2 do I use if not using the no jumper option? Or does it not matter anyway as I have no load connected and it's all irrelevant.

3.6 The load output The load out output can be configured with Bluetooth or via VE.Direct. Alternatively, a jumper can be used to to configure the load output as follows:

3.6.1. No jumper: BatteryLife algorithm (see 1.5.)

3.6.2. Jumper between pin 1 and pin 2: conventional Low voltage load disconnect: 11,1V or 22,2V Automatic load reconnect: 13,1V or 26,2V

3.6.3. Jumper between pin 2 and pin 3: conventional Low voltage load disconnect: 11,8V or 23,6V Automatic load reconnect: 14V or 28V

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
With nothing connected to the load terminals, it doesn't matter what the jumper position is.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If you’re planning to use the Bluetooth dongle you can set up the solar controller through the Victron app

It’s very useful and allows the device to update the controllers firmware whenever a new version comes out

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I now have the dongle and have noticed the default is for AGM and there isn't a lead acid option, so can I assume the AGM algorithm is ok for lead acid, or has anyone found an optimum manual setting?

I have to say the information you get from the App for the last 30 days is very interesting.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I now have the dongle and have noticed the default is for AGM and there isn't a lead acid option, so can I assume the AGM algorithm is ok for lead acid, or has anyone found an optimum manual setting?

I have to say the information you get from the App for the last 30 days is very interesting.
You can set up a user specified profile based on the exact requirements of your batteries, though I’m surprised there isn’t a lead acid option as standard.
What options does it have ?

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
The below is all that is listed

AGM spiral cell
GEL Victron deep discharge (1)
GEL Victron deep discharge (2)
Gel Victron long life (OPzV)
Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFPo4)
PzS tubular plate traction (1)
PzS tubular plate traction (2)
PzS tubular plate traction (3)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The below is all that is listed

AGM spiral cell
GEL Victron deep discharge (1)
GEL Victron deep discharge (2)
Gel Victron long life (OPzV)
Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFPo4)
PzS tubular plate traction (1)
PzS tubular plate traction (2)
PzS tubular plate traction (3)
In which case I’d suggest setting up a user specified profile. I wouldn’t use a setting designed for AGM unless the bulk - absorb and float voltages are the same as your batteries

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
User profile but make sure it “saves “ properly, mine looks to have not saved and gassed the battery

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Looking at the 30 days data the battery voltage is not going over 14.6v so looks like it's ok

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back