Victron Energy SmartShunt (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
You are right but space is tight in mine and I couldn’t be bothered to run the wiring for a display.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Plenty of info there 👀, mine came yesterday but one of the fuse holders was damaged guy is going to send another one. All I need now is my new van to fit it to.
Keep us posted on how you get along with it please. 👍

Don’t poke the live wires in the unit and then try and bend them so they fit better. They are push for connectors and don’t take it well.

Oops.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
Just checking, as it’s not clear from the documentation, can I use the shunt as a replacement of the “Smart Battery Sense” battery voltage / temperature monitor, and that it will work with my Victron Smartsolar 75/15 MPPT solar controller (and join the same network) for monitoring?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I haven’t come across Smart Battery Sense before so I have no idea how it is wired but it appears to be for use with solar panels and I would doubt that the shunt replaces it.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
It gives you voltage and has an optional temperature sensor. Network wise, the instructions say it will but probably best check with Victron.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Just checking, as it’s not clear from the documentation, can I use the shunt as a replacement of the “Smart Battery Sense” battery voltage / temperature monitor, and that it will work with my Victron Smartsolar 75/15 MPPT solar controller (and join the same network) for monitoring?
Having taken a look at the Battery Smart Sense video it seems to be a battery and voltage sensing device that networks wirelessly with the MPPT, to improve solar battery charging. The BMV-712 Smart does not appear to include battery temperature monitoring and I can see no reference to it providing MPPT control. I would be surprised if Victron launched a new device that makes another of their recent devices redundant, they will want you to buy both. They have different purposes.

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
I haven’t come across Smart Battery Sense before so I have no idea how it is wired but it appears to be for use with solar panels and I would doubt that the shunt replaces it.

The Smart Battery Sense is an optional accessory for a Solar charger in that it feeds battery voltage and temperature (of battery) to the Solar charger so that it can more effectively control battery charging.

I’m guessing that as the Smart Shunt captures all that data and more, that it too could send that data over the (bluetooth?) network it creates to Smart Solar controller and thus I could replace the Battery sense with a battery monitor that can give me more insight into battery state, and time to charge etc.
Having taken a look at the Battery Smart Sense video it seems to be a battery and voltage sensing device that networks wirelessly with the MPPT, to improve solar battery charging. The BMV-712 Smart does not appear to include battery temperature monitoring and I can see no reference to it providing MPPT control. I would be surprised if Victron launched a new device that makes another of their recent devices redundant, they will want you to buy both. They have different purposes.

Thanks, I’ll give Victron a call to see if they are complimentary or whether I’m missing the point on this.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Good idea to contract Victron
I’m guessing that as the Smart Shunt captures all that data and more, that it too could send that data over the (bluetooth?) network it creates to Smart Solar controller
I don’t think it does, they both sense voltage but not battery temperature.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The Smart Sense can measure voltage and temperature, but not current (amps).

The BMV and Smart Shunt can both measure voltage, temperature and current. For monitoring the battery state it is important to know the total current going in and out at all times, from whatever source.

If you're just looking at the solar controller, it already knows the current it is producing, and just needs to know the exact voltage and temperature of the battery, so a Smart Sense does that perfectly.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
You can create a ve network, which works over Bluetooth, via the smart shunt and smart mppt solar controller. Very simple to setup via the app and once complete, both products communicate with each other seamlessly.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The BMV and Smart Shunt can both measure voltage, temperature and current.
I have been through the demo apps for the BMVs and can’t find any reports for battery temperature. I think ShaKen was hoping to get the BMV to control his MPPT instead of the Smart Sense and I don’t think it will.
Happy to be put right if I have got this wrong.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
You can create a ve network, which works over Bluetooth, via the smart shunt and smart mppt solar controller. Very simple to setup via the app and once complete, both products communicate with each other seamlessly.
They will communicate seamlessly but without battery temperature the BMV can not do what the Smart Sense does.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
They will communicate seamlessly but without battery temperature the BMV can not do what the Smart Sense does.
The BMV and SmartShunt have optional battery temperature sensors. The Smart Sense is stuck on the side of the battery and measures temperature by direct contact.

Attachments

• Datasheet-BMV-712-Smart-EN.pdf
    439.6 KB · Views: 9

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back