Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
i’m away for a couple of nights but will check this on friday

many thanks

Al 👍

PS. whilst i’m on, does anyone have a solar panel choice as in makes/brand/supplier please

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
And, you can also connect the battery monitor to a raspberry pi, to a WiFi network so you can then monitor remotely.
Why would I need one if I can use app on my phone? PS: Santa has delivered mine but my rules are no presents to be opened til xmas so I need to wait.

Last edited:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Why would I need one if I can use app on my phone?

Bluetooth on a phone only allows you to connect one device at a time, so you would have to switch between devices and bluetooth would then connect to the next Victron device you want to view if you're using multiple Victron devices.
Connecting multiple Victron devices as I have to a Raspberry Pi, then allows you to view all the Victron devices at the same time with visual information on how they are all interacting with each other via the Victron VRM app, but if you have just the one Victron device or are not to bother with information overload, then Victron Connect app is your best bet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Why would I need one if I can use app on my phone? PS: Santa has delivered mine but my rules are no presents to be opened til xmas so I need to wait.
I was going to ask if you'd been allowed to open your present early!

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I was going to ask if you'd been allowed to open your present early!
I've got to stick by my own rules....well rather mums through the years. Alan has wanted to open hs trolley jack gift... just to make sure it works ok :LOL: but nope not allowed. I'm getting an apple watch series 7 from mum and so dying to get my hands on it but ivegot to wait .:cry:

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Can anyone point me in the right direction for the exact MPPT I should be going for? Looking at Victron but there are a few out there. I have a solar panel fitted by previous owner. No idea of rating. I am also wanting to fit another panel at some point to replace the satellite. That could be a while off yet though. I'm unsure which controller I should go for 🤷‍♂️

May 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since 2020
Why would I need one if I can use app on my phone?

Bluetooth on a phone only allows you to connect one device at a time, so you would have to switch between devices and bluetooth would then connect to the next Victron device you want to view if you're using multiple Victron devices.
Connecting multiple Victron devices as I have to a Raspberry Pi, then allows you to view all the Victron devices at the same time with visual information on how they are all interacting with each other via the Victron VRM app, but if you have just the one Victron device or are not to bother with information overload, then Victron Connect app is your best bet.
The Victron VRM app allows me to view and adjust my Victron devices remotely , so for instance when the vans in storage I know exactly what the state of charge of the leisure batteries is, plus I can adjust the MPPT charge settings so that the Lithium batteries are not sitting at fully charged whilst in storage.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Can anyone point me in the right direction for the exact MPPT I should be going for? Looking at Victron but there are a few out there. I have a solar panel fitted by previous owner. No idea of rating. I am also wanting to fit another panel at some point to replace the satellite. That could be a while off yet though. I'm unsure which controller I should go for 🤷‍♂️
without knowing your existing panel size and how big you want to go, it is hard to recommend a specific MPPT controller, but this should give enough headroom for 330W solar and is BT equipped, so will work with the Victron app

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
without knowing your existing panel size and how big you want to go, it is hard to recommend a specific MPPT controller, but this should give enough headroom for 330W solar and is BT equipped, so will work with the Victron app
Cheers gerry.

While you're here.... 😂

Would the smallest shunt suffice for my needs? I have no idea how to work out which one I should choose.

Stephen28

Free Member
Apr 4, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2014
Cheers gerry.

While you're here.... 😂

Would the smallest shunt suffice for my needs? I have no idea how to work out which one I should choose.
Victron Smart Shunt 500A should be suitable, this provides monitoring of up to about 6kW load.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
The one thing that i notice by its absence is anybody mentioning the use of the BMV712 to switch relays.
irnbru yours must be fitted by now . OK?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
The one thing that i notice by its absence is anybody mentioning the use of the BMV712 to switch relays.

I use the BMV712 built in relay to switch on and off the active balance on my lithium battery pack at set voltages so it only balances at higher cell voltages when the charge current is tailing off.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
irnbru yours must be fitted by now . OK?
No, not fitted yet. I'm a bit hesitant to do anything more to the van at the moment.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Two on Tour Good man. I use it to control solar charging based on SOC. I would like to add a second control based on Temperature measurement ie no charging bellow set point. will probably do this via an Arduino unless a simpler idea comes my way. This wont be implemented until weather invites me into van. DS18B20 sensors allready distributed even under frost stat just need to get on with it and suss where and how to display results.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Two on Tour Good man. I use it to control solar charging based on SOC. I would like to add a second control based on Temperature measurement ie no charging bellow set point. will probably do this via an Arduino unless a simpler idea comes my way. This wont be implemented until weather invites me into van. DS18B20 sensors allready distributed even under frost stat just need to get on with it and suss where and how to display results.

My BMS has low temperature cut off, but for a couple other temperature controlled things I have on our van, I use a Sonoff zigbee bridge hub paired with our van MiFi and Sonoff temperature/humidity sensors which tell Sonoff type relays when to open and close.
I also use the Sonoff temperature/humidity sensors via an echo dot on the van to tell me the fridge and freezer temperatures.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/38427643...d=link&campid=5338547443&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I had previously set up an arduino to calculate SOC but i deemed my current measurements pants so chucked it out when i went Lithium and spent even more with a BMV712. I cant find any reference to low temperature cut off for the BMS. So will have to sort myself. Solar is controlled by votronics so should be ok. B2B currently have an on off switch on D+.
PS like your wireless switch

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
if you mount a Victron Smart Battery Sense (SBS) to your battery (~£35), this gives you voltage and battery temperature) it then pairs via BT to a Victron Smart Solar MPPT and the MPPT then knows the leisure battery temp and you can set a temperature limit, below which the MPPT will not send current to the Lithium Battery

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
if you mount a Victron Smart Battery Sense (SBS) to your battery (~£35), this gives you voltage and battery temperature) it then pairs via BT to a Victron Smart Solar MPPT and the MPPT then knows the leisure battery temp and you can set a temperature limit, below which the MPPT will not send current to the Lithium Battery
He is gone one further, on the bmv relay I think. You can set the relay to open or close on certain SOC, meaning, when van unattended for long time , the Lifepo4 stays partially charged 40-60% and not fully charged. The relay can control a separate contractor, to disconnect the solar panels above certain SOC. the batt sense networked with the solar charger can control low temp charge as you said, but can’t control amount of charge. Also another external source can’t be controlled by the batt sense, in this case the bmv relay can control a external contractor to do whatever you connect to it.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
gerry mcg i control additional ssr (solid state relays) with the bmv712 relay using the SOC control as Raul posted. i cannot do as you suggest and limmit the victron mmpt controllers as both mmpt and b2b are votronics as suggested in post 48. I have on previous threads asked about using OR comands for the bmv. An alternative method could be a temperature monitor (ebay variety reccomended on here for fridge control) on the +ve line for the SSRs and D+ for the B2B

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Ok so we set this up today but have I configured it correctly:unsure: Why don't I see any power going in since I've got it on EHU. I truly think I followed the set up instructions correctly but have I really? I have some 12v lights on at the moment.
IMG_4765.PNG

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
To know for sure If the settings are dialled correct, need to know the charger settings to. As it looks, suggests you do charge from EHU, and the charger supplies just about what you draw. Is either in float, (13,6v), or a very small ehu charger, capable of only few amps.
The existing current draw of 6,3a is quite high for few lights only, that’s 86w. You either have halogen or power is going somewhere else as well.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi Sandra / Alan....im not familiar with the monitor you have fitted but of the ones I have done in the past said they did need a bit time to sort of calibrate themselves.. from memory had to be used under a bit load for a while and then fully charge the batteries so you had a good reference before the values became meaningful...
having said that the voltage displayed indicates a charger is connected but you are drawing a 6 amp load from the batteries which does not seem right regardless...assuming the shunt is connected as it should be....:unsure:

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
If voltage climbs, but you still show negative draw, the shunt is fitted the other way round. If you swich loads of, and the negative draw decreases instantly, it’s fitted correct.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
To know for sure If the settings are dialled correct, need to know the charger settings to. As it looks, suggests you do charge from EHU, and the charger supplies just about what you draw. Is either in float, (13,6v), or a very small ehu charger, capable of only few amps.
The existing current draw of 6,3a is quite high for few lights only, that’s 86w. You either have halogen or power is going somewhere else as well.
Ok so Ive revisited the van, turned off all the lights, turned off the control panel so only thing I cann seee lit now is the microwave. Look how the percentage has dropped to 92 % now.
IMG_4769.PNG

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
still not right is it..id be doing a few checks with a meter on the battery voltage and current flow and see how they compare... and maybe just to make sure there is no conflict, disconnect solar
with your mains charger connected you should not be seeing a draw from the battery
Andy

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
If with everything powered down, you still have a 0.25A current draw something is a tad odd. The 0.04V starter battery reading is definitely weird. Having said that, the output voltage has risen from 13.63V to 14.12V which on a 12V system can only be happening from a charger.

1st thing to double check is that you have the shunt itself wired correctly. Only the battery negative terminal is connected to the smartshunt "to battery minus" terminal. Nothing else is connected to the habitation battery negative on the shunt or battery.

For testing purposes disconnect any of the added leads you may have connected for the aux.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Read post 55, as I suspected, the voltage rises, but the consumed amorphous has increased to 11ah. Your shunt is wired backwards. The side for the battery is wired to the loads and charge and vice-versa. After you correct this, the starter may read correct to. As for percentage, don’t be to hung up on this yet, wait for a full charge cycle, so the shunt synchronises, then give it few days, the processor still learns the system. If after a week is out quite a bit, then you start changing certain settings.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks guys. I will come back to you 2mor when its daylight again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back