Tugging since I could drive, now joining the dark side šŸ˜šŸ˜‰
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Just having a closer look at this and getting my ducks lined up, did you mean to link to a 3 pin JST lead when the VRM port is a 4 pin connection?

I understand that only 3 of the wires are used, but will that 3 pin plug go in a 4 pin hole?

Seeking clarification before pressing "buy it now"
I think you're right to hesitate, the 3 pin lead won't fit into a 4-pin socket, it's designed to definitely not fit to avoid inadvertent errors. And you need to order the correct part, JST do many different connectors, some looking very similar but incompatible. Maybe Two on Tour has the correct link.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Just having a closer look at this and getting my ducks lined up, did you mean to link to a 3 pin JST lead when the VRM port is a 4 pin connection?

I understand that only 3 of the wires are used, but will that 3 pin plug go in a 4 pin hole?

Seeking clarification before pressing "buy it now"

Thanks

Apologies, I had mistakenly linked to the 3 pin version, as I had used these on another project, but it is the 4 pin version you require.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 30, 2022
Banbury, Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A white and grey one
Exp
Tugging since I could drive, now joining the dark side šŸ˜šŸ˜‰
Apologies, I had mistakenly linked to the 3 pin version, as I had used these on another project, but it is the 4 pin version you require.

Not a problem Paul, thanks for the revised link, I'll adjust my basket and get them on the way.

Pi 3b+ should arrive tomorrow all being well so I'm on the way (y)

Then the fun starts :roflmto:

Colin

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Ok so my raspberry has arrived. Its supposed to have 2 heatsinks but does it ? nothing else came in the package and I dont know what a heatsink is. I'm not starting this project for another fortnight. Too much ongoing for now.
Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 12.31.27.png

Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
There are 2 heat sinks on your board. A heat sink on the Pi is a passive heat exchanger that transfers the heat generated by an electronic device to the air.

IMG_4284.jpeg

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
A heat sink is a shaped piece of metal (good heat conductor) with bits sticking out that have a large surface area, like fins or rods, to convey the heat to the surrounding air. Usually mounted on the main processor chip, and maybe on any power transistors that control outputs.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks . Do I actually need them or just an extra?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks . Do I actually need them or just an extra?

I never fitted heat sinks to the Pi that I'm using for my Victron gear as the Pi is not stretched in any way in the processing work it's having to do.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Ok thanks, so just an extra for me. Should I remove them, could I use them in my arduino one day for something?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Best to just leave them, I think. They are stuck on with special heat-conducting glue. Or they may be clipped on, with a special heat-conducting paste to bridge any small air gaps and ensure the best heat transfer.

Heat sinks and heat sink compounds are a whole sub-culture - PC gamers overload their PC processors, and buy elaborate expensive heat sinks, heat sink compounds, fans and other gadgets to keep them cool. Stay out of the rabbit hole :eek::giggle:

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Best to just leave them, I think. They are stuck on with special heat-conducting glue. Or they may be clipped on, with a special heat-conducting paste to bridge any small air gaps and ensure the best heat transfer.

Heat sinks and heat sink compounds are a whole sub-culture - PC gamers overload their PC processors, and buy elaborate expensive heat sinks, heat sink compounds, fans and other gadgets to keep them cool. Stay out of the rabbit hole :eek::giggle:
Thanks, the person I bought it off did say he used it for retro gaming. Just hope I wont have to solder anything on the van. It's just took me an hour to solder one wire with my finger getting burnt 3 times. I can only improve. :)

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Thanks, the person I bought it off did say he used it for retro gaming. Just hope I wont have to solder anything on the van. It's just took me an hour to solder one wire with my finger getting burnt 3 times. I can only improve. :)
Don't bet on it. The older you get the worse the st vitus dance gets, everything but the bloody wire gets soldered.šŸ˜”

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back