Jul 26, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 1999
Hi all.
I have recently installed a victron 75/15 mppt solar controller and battery master. I checked yesterday and it was showing 13.2v on leisure batteries and 12.9 on starter in the full sunshine! Both the green light and the amber light is flashing on the controller.
Any help much appreciated

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
What readings were you expecting?

Looks like the leisure batteries are in ‘float’ having been fully charged.

The engine battery is also fully charged. It’s worth remembering that the battery master is not a battery charger it’s job is to trickle a small amount on electric into the engine battery to keep it topped up.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Victron 75/15 controller

Amber LED

BLINK FAST means bulk charging (battery is low)
BLINK SLOW means absorption charging (battery at 80% or so)
ON CONSTANTLY means float charge (battery is full)

If you have Battery Life enabled, then the green LED flashes when in Float with Battery Life. Regular Float mode, the LED is solid green.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bluesurf989
Jul 26, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 1999
What readings were you expecting?

Looks like the leisure batteries are in ‘float’ having been fully charged.

The engine battery is also fully charged. It’s worth remembering that the battery master is not a battery charger it’s job is to trickle a small amount on electric into the engine battery to keep it topped up.
When the old controller was on the panel shown 14.2v constantly in the sunshine. i was't sure after changing it to the victron that these new figures are as efficient..

OP
OP
bluesurf989
Jul 26, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 1999
Victron 75/15 controller

Amber LED

BLINK FAST means bulk charging (battery is low)
BLINK SLOW means absorption charging (battery at 80% or so)
ON CONSTANTLY means float charge (battery is full)

If you have Battery Life enabled, then the green LED flashes when in Float with Battery Life. Regular Float mode, the LED is solid green.
Thanks for the info Two.
What does battery life enabled mean?

Sep 11, 2016
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Battery Life: intelligent battery management
When a solar charge controller is not able to recharge the battery to its full capacity within one day, the result is often that the battery will continually be cycled between a ‘partially charged’ state and the ‘end of discharge’ state. This mode of operation (no regular full recharge) will destroy a lead-acid battery within weeks or months.
The Battery Life algorithm will monitor the state of charge of the battery and, if needed, day by day slightly increase the load disconnect level (i.e. disconnect the load earlier) until the harvested solar energy is sufficient to recharge the battery to nearly the full 100%. From that point onwards the load disconnect level will be modulated so that a nearly 100% recharge is achieved about once every week.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for the info Two.
What does battery life enabled mean?

"The Battery Life algorithm will monitor the state of charge of the battery and, if needed, day by day slightly increase the load disconnect level (i.e. disconnect the load earlier) until the harvested solar energy is sufficient to recharge the battery to nearly the full 100%."

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
When the old controller was on the panel shown 14.2v constantly in the sunshine. i was't sure after changing it to the victron that these new figures are as efficient..
A constant 14.2 volts is too much, once the battery is fully charged the voltage should drop, which is what the Victron is doing. It is now just keeping the battery topped up. The 13.2 is called the float voltage. 😀

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I have recently installed a victron 75/15 mppt solar controller
Did I read somewhere that the latest Victron controllers had bluetooth capability built in? (eddievanbitz )

If so, download the Victron Connect app & you will get to know exactly what is going on. Earlier versions needed a separate Bluetooth module connected externally.

Does 'recently installed' = new?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back