Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Well I'm really gobsmacked - humans are such fickle creatures. So far as I can ascertain this all started because someone had a trip planned in January and left it too late to order his books. Everybody knows that postal deliveries slow down over Xmas and he was in Ireland so that would just exacerbate the delays. So his books did not arrive in time for his trip, so that is the fault of the supplier is it :RollEyes:

I've dealt with a lady at VB and quite frankly she was eloquent, polite, and knowledgible, I arranged to take delivery at one of the shows and hoped to meet her and thank her. (But she wasn't attending that show)

I've also read the 'statement' they have issued and I can't fault it, luvy duvy and touchy feely it may not be but in todays business world you have to be that way (mores the pity).

To be honest I'm glad that when I ran my own company I didn't have to deal with Joe Public because mostly they are not nice and not honest. If you send out a second order FOC on the basis that the originals will be returned if they turn up how do you know that the customer will return them ????

Most people will just say to themselves "Oh they'll get the cost back via an insurance claim and I can't be bothered to wrap them up and go down the post office and pay the postage, to hell with it, I'm too busy, and they were a bit abrupt when I phoned them anyway, and they are in Kent and I don't like people from Kent" If questioned by the supplier they will just deny they ever arrived if no signature was given, if a signature was given they'll quickly say "Oh I forget" :Angry:

Well that's my two penneth, I'm off now and won't be returning 'till all this nonsense has died down :ROFLMAO:

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We ordered All the Aires and France Passion a couple of years ago without any issue, and renewed France Passion with them at NEC last February again without any problem. (I will be doing the same this year if they are there)
Having said that I have never had to phone them yet!:Smile:

Last edited:

chewy

Free Member
Apr 11, 2009
Funster No
Seems I am not the only one to have suffered from the very poor customer service from this company Vicarious Books that I find so rude its a wonder how they are still in business. There have been Link Removed when they sent a rude email to people.

I have just been reading on another forum that after someone complained that they had been treated badly with a thread entitled Vicarious Books, what a Joke. and the Forum owner was told to remove the remarks after legal threats. :Eeek:

I understand the pressure on Forum owners and will understand if this post has to be deleted,and I apologise in advance, however I do believe that poor customer service should be made public so others are warned what to expect and that business owners are encouraged to improve the way they treat customers :Smile:
Poor customer service is normal it it sad to say. I bought one book from them (all the Airs ..France) compared to the real French book which they have effectively copied it cama very poor second so poor products and poor service in days apparantly gone by meant short business life.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
I've just got a few experiences of them:-

1. I've had a few books off them via their website - service OK.

2. "All The Aires in France" should really be called " A Few of the Aires in France"! Much prefer the French book!

3. I spoke to them on their stand at Peterborough a couple of years ago and was not impressed with their "customer relations" - when I politely mentioned something about their Aires in France book I was told I maybe wasn't suited to the motorhome lifestyle and should reconsider how I spent my holidays!! (maybe not those exact words but that was the gist of it!!!) Can't remember what it was I said to prompt such rudeness!:Angry:

4. Nearly bought the Caravan Club Europe books off them at ÂŁ15.99 each until I realised the Caravan Club stand was selling them for around ÂŁ9.99 each!!!!!:Eeek:

chewy

Free Member
Apr 11, 2009
Funster No
Thier books are not very good anyway

It seems several agree with my impression that thier books are cr*p anyway .I shant be buying anything else from them on those grounds alone.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
This would be worth a funsters poll :thumb:

OP
OP
F

FullTimeDreamer

Free Member
Aug 21, 2009
Funster No
It seems several agree with my impression that thier books are cr*p anyway .I shant be buying anything else from them on those grounds alone.

We were disappointed too, the books just seem to cherry pickAires, they are certainly not ALL the Aires, the sat nav coordinates are hit and miss too. And on top of that ours fell apart, when we tried to get a refund we were told that we had missed the window for refunds:Doh::Doh:

I now use the Normal Aires book. It seems to me that Vicarious charge 16.99 for just translating some aires address into English. But a French Address is still a French Address when its in English:RollEyes::RollEyes: My advice is just to buy the French book, it does have All the Aires and you don't need to speak French to read it, the adress is the same and the other details are described by little pictures. :thumb:

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Yet another comment, been an online and telephone customer and my opinion is that they do care about supplying a service.
Unfortunately I suspect that they they have let the moaners/whingers get to them and as a result the image is almost hostile.
How many shop assistants do you come across who appear distant and uncaring? it's a defence mechanism to deal with all the awkward s--s.
Unfortunately I would not be pompous as to suggest what they should do, but maybe if they could forget all the awkward s--s and remember the majority who are are easy to deal with providing a service is provided - OH Sorry looks likeI am being pompous.
:Blush:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yet another comment, been an online and telephone customer and my opinion is that they do care about supplying a service.
Unfortunately I suspect that they they have let the moaners/whingers get to them and as a result the image is almost hostile.
How many shop assistants do you come across who appear distant and uncaring? it's a defence mechanism to deal with all the awkward s--s.
Unfortunately I would not be pompous as to suggest what they should do, but maybe if they could forget all the awkward s--s and remember the majority who are are easy to deal with providing a service is provided - OH Sorry looks likeI am being pompous.
:Blush:

You know what, thinking back you could actually be spot on !!

Does not excuse poor customer interface of course but yes, would explain it and yes, mulling over my last fone call I reckon you are on to something..

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
I now use the Normal Aires book. It seems to me that Vicarious charge 16.99 for just translating some aires address into English. But a French Address is still a French Address when its in English:RollEyes::RollEyes: My advice is just to buy the French book, it does have All the Aires and you don't need to speak French to read it, the adress is the same and the other details are described by little pictures. :thumb:

Where do you get the French Book from? Sounds like a book that should be in my library:Smile:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I am a bit bored due to the weather..... so read through this (have had books from them over the years and received ACSI book as promised late 2009 so no complaints) Just had a look over on the darkside and have to say these people do not appear to have a clue how ro deal with people............very odd indeed!

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
When we want a book of aires or stellplatz's we just look in the supermarkets when we are in that country & buy one there. To me it stands to reason that the best books will be the ones made for the people of that country to use & the most up to date. The language isn't a problem, with a dictionary you can soon find out what words to look for & most now have the places listed with GPS co-ordinates & often pictures. Other than that I just download all the stopping places I can to my Tomtom :RollEyes: who needs a book, spoils the fun of discovering these places without any knowledge of what's there. :Eeek:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Just had a look over on the darkside and have to say these people do not appear to have a clue how ro deal with people............very odd indeed!

I also thought I would have a look, & I think they have made a meal of it and not achieved much.

VB may have been better off not making that statement & just letting things take their course. It just goes to prove, as we all know, you cannot please all the people all of the time.

Having been in retail business all my life, I know how cruel 'customers' can be when they feel they have not received the service they expect, even though the retailer may consider differently.

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
Seems I am not the only one to have suffered from the very poor customer service from this company Vicarious Books that I find so rude its a wonder how they are still in business. There have been Link Removed when they sent a rude email to people.

I have just been reading on another forum that after someone complained that they had been treated badly with a thread entitled Vicarious Books, what a Joke. and the Forum owner was told to remove the remarks after legal threats. :Eeek:

I understand the pressure on Forum owners and will understand if this post has to be deleted,and I apologise in advance, however I do believe that poor customer service should be made public so others are warned what to expect and that business owners are encouraged to improve the way they treat customers :Smile:

I think you need to go back and read the post's.
1. The forum owner was NOT told to remove the post and there was NEVER a legal threat.
2. The forum members voted unanimously to back Vicarious Books as the complaint was ridiculous basically.

The complaint was because a member had purchased books and a DVD and had only received the DVD at that time which was 2 days after purchase, The purchaser lives in Ireland and he was demanding a replacement order for the missing items, After 2 days, I ask you, Is that fair, Not a Chance.
:Eeek:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Just picked up this thread and amazed to read it, have dealt with them a few times and always been dealt with courtesy, gone out of my way to speak to the couple who started it and they were very open to suggestions, and Don Madge who often helps out is one of the most helpful and knowledgeable motor homers I have ever come across.
What a shame that some one in the organisation has missed out in customer service dept, and putting what is a good service to moterhomers in bad light.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I have always ordered online and while i do appreciate what others have said, I can honestly say I have never had any problems,

Didn't someone once say something like "all advertisements are good advertisements"

I also have to admit if i had receive 2 books and no follow up email/contact i may well have been very tempted to keep them both, albeit i didn't get 2:cry::cry:

As for the quality of the contents of some of the books, i really think that is very objective from person to person, and i don't think the way the sales and after care are handled are really the same thing.

I will be using them again next year if they are still the UK agents for the ACSI Camping card,

OP
OP
F

FullTimeDreamer

Free Member
Aug 21, 2009
Funster No
I think you need to go back and read the post's.
1. The forum owner was NOT told to remove the post and there was NEVER a legal threat.
2. The forum members voted unanimously to back Vicarious Books as the complaint was ridiculous basically.

The complaint was because a member had purchased books and a DVD and had only received the DVD at that time which was 2 days after purchase, The purchaser lives in Ireland and he was demanding a replacement order for the missing items, After 2 days, I ask you, Is that fair, Not a Chance.
:Eeek:

I think you need to learn the meaning of the word unanimous::bigsmile: Becuase whilst I agree the majority in the poll voted to continue to use them, it was a mile away from a unanimous poll. Plenty of others have come out and given examples of poor customer service or a poor product and 15% said they would not use them again! I will not use them again. I would suggest that most of those supporting them have not had any issues.... they ordered.........product was delivered......they were happy. But if anything on those orders went wrong and they had to deal with these people, especially the female member of staff, they would probably not enjoy the experience.

When there name comes up, I will take every opportunity to tell others of my poor experience with them, why shouldn't I? They only have themselves to blame.

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
I have just been reading about the email that was sent out to members who had received a second copy from Vicarious Books asking for the return, I for one wonder how YOU would react if you had sent out by mistake a second item same as one purchased from you, and the receiver had failed to return it to you, or even notified you that they had received it, I ask you, Come on be fair.

Vicarious Books are a Bl**dy good company, Everyone is moaning about the Book "All The Aires" because it doesn't contain ALL the aires, So What, what is in the name of a book, It says "Saxa Salt" on the sides of London Buses, But they don't sell it.

I have used them for years and I WILL continue to use them for years to come I hope.

The above mentioned book is BY FAR THE BEST book in English and if it's not up to your standard write one.

I have seen rants about the co-ordinates being off, By how far? and the co-ordinates are usually supplied by others, I have never yet seen any co-ordinates that are bang on, But they get you close enough to find the location easily

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
What I don't understand here is why some people say VB shouldn't have made their statement. Several posters on here and apparently on MHFacts have slated them quite heavily, are they not allowed to respond? Chris explains quite clearly why they don't use forums. I see absolutely nothing wrong in their statement, it is exactly that, a STATEMENT of fact.

D.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have just been reading about the email that was sent out to members who had received a second copy from Vicarious Books asking for the return, I for one wonder how YOU would react if you had sent out by mistake a second item same as one purchased from you, and the receiver had failed to return it to you, or even notified you that they had received it, I ask you, Come on be fair.

Come on be accurate.

I got the second copy. I immediately went to email them and received threat as soon I ran my mail program.

It's pretty clear from all the posts now that the do deliver a good service most of the time but when anything goes wrong they have a serious attitude problem.

I just looked in The Dark Side at their statement, they are absolutely full of themselves "GROUND BREAKING" this "GROUND BREAKING" that. Clearly we have no right to complain to such super beings.

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
I think you need to learn the meaning of the word unanimous::bigsmile: Becuase whilst I agree the majority in the poll voted to continue to use them, it was a mile away from a unanimous poll. Plenty of others have come out and given examples of poor customer service or a poor product and 15% said they would not use them again! I will not use them again. I would suggest that most of those supporting them have not had any issues.... they ordered.........product was delivered......they were happy. But if anything on those orders went wrong and they had to deal with these people, especially the female member of staff, they would probably not enjoy the experience.

When there name comes up, I will take every opportunity to tell others of my poor experience with them, why shouldn't I? They only have themselves to blame.

I should have known that I am dealing with the "Picky" type of individual just as Vicarious books are, Ok Then 80% of all that voted of over 41000 members voted in favour of vicarious books, Now it is not known how many actually voted as there are no numbers but from the posts it is obvious that they are in favour of vicarious books.

Now to break it into actual numbers, IF 41000 members voted that means that 32800 voted FOR vicarious books and 6150 voted against.

Now if I was Vicarious books I would class that as a resounding victory.

Also I would certainly be thanking the OP as it has brought Vicarious books name to the forefront and it has shown that the vast majority of purchasers are totally satisfied with both service and after sales.

I also add that as far as I am concerned I purchase the goods that I want and I personally don't give a toss how nice a person I am buying it from and they don't have to kiss my a** for me to buy it.

:thumb::ROFLMAO:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Come on be accurate.

I got the second copy. I immediately went to email them and received threat as soon I ran my mail program.

It's pretty clear from all the posts now that the do deliver a good service most of the time but when anything goes wrong they have a serious attitude problem.

I just looked in The Dark Side at their statement, they are absolutely full of themselves "GROUND BREAKING" this "GROUND BREAKING" that. Clearly we have no right to complain to such super beings.

Brian, any chance you could post the content of the e mail they sent you verbatim please? Then we could all see exactly how they worded it.

D.

OP
OP
F

FullTimeDreamer

Free Member
Aug 21, 2009
Funster No
I should have known that I am dealing with the "Picky" type of individual just as Vicarious books are, Ok Then 80% of all that voted of over 41000 members voted in favour of vicarious books, Now it is not known how many actually voted as there are no numbers but from the posts it is obvious that they are in favour of vicarious books.

Now to break it into actual numbers, IF 41000 members voted that means that 32800 voted FOR vicarious books and 6150 voted against.

Now if I was Vicarious books I would class that as a resounding victory.

I also add that as far as I am concerned I purchase the goods that I want and I personally don't give a toss how nice a person I am buying it from and they don't have to kiss my a** for me to buy it.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Sorry to be picky but you are wrong :roflmto: there are no thousands voting not even hundreds. I think you will find if you take a proper look that less than 150 people voted in that poll:RollEyes::RollEyes: And the big IF about actual numbers is not if 41000 member voted but IF they exist at all. There always seems to be more people on here than on there, but I think that is for another thread.

The point is, you have had a good good experience I had a bad one. So between you and me 50% of us think Vicarious Books are rude to their customers and produce a poor product. ::bigsmile:

I would also add that if this were just an isolated incident there would not be discussions going on all over the internet, I am only involved in this one, other disgruntled customers are talking about them elswhere.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just popped over to tother lot and cannot see the statement on there ( perhaps I have to PAY to see it ? )

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I am a bit bored due to the weather..... so read through this (have had books from them over the years and received ACSI book as promised late 2009 so no complaints) Just had a look over on the darkside and have to say these people do not appear to have a clue how to deal with people............very odd indeed!

Just remembered......a while ago they sent me a new copy of a book I had got from them with an envelope to return original. from memory they said it had a binding fault, no threats or any kind or drama whatsoever........So what has now gone wrong I wonder? I guess they must have been bitten a few times since.

I always thought they where decent people, and the books generally very well received

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
I run my own business, albeit a small one, and I am fully aware of the saying "you cannot please all the people all the time" however if I ever receive any complaint I will go out of my way to rectify the problem and offer recompense if necessary.

I believe that is the correct way in business but it is a sad fact that many companies today appear to have the attitude that they "don't give a toss"

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Like you MrJinks I run a very small business.. yet I have just won ( for the 2nd year running ) two categories in a yearly customer poll run by the countries biggest selling magazine appertaining to my chosen field..Customer service and, I think, after sales service ( though that might have been last year and this year was Customer service and value for money fields )

I. like you, rate customer service above all else.
If I do not get it then I am indeed critical of the organisation
Again, as I said further up the pencil, it would appear that the V B does seem to suffer from some sort of bipolar disorder.. so many folk are happy yet so many are not !

If it was just the odd person with a moan or a whinge then fair enough, but there are just TOO many folk speaking out for it to be a personality disposition thing or even, as in my case perhaps, an expectancy issue

You never know, V B may take on board what has been said and try to find out the source of the problems
Reading ( again ) what others have had to say I somehow doubt they are 'big enough' to either admit to a problem or accept that others perceive there is something amiss.

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
Everyone is going on about customer relationship and what Vicarious Books should have done, Are you forgetting something.

The complaint was made after TWO DAYS .

He purchased Books and a DVD in Late December, He got the DVD two days after postage when VB returned to work, So he phoned up and asked where his books were.

This what he was told, (His words)

"We cant investigate the missing books until the end of January because the Royal Mail wont begin an investigation until 3weeks have passed

You do understand that the weather has prevented a lot of airlines & therefore air mail from flying & that it is not our fault

We cant send you out a copy of your order because that will cost us money & the books may well arrive in the meantime

We can however send you a copy of your order if you pay for it again & we will refund you if your original order arrives in the meantime & you return the second order to us

We are sorry but those are our terms & conditions"

Now I find NOTHING at all wrong with what they say at all, As it was airmail, Royal Mail DO demand a 21 day waiting period for complaints.

They cannot nor should not send out more books after 2 days as it is pointless and would not only cost vicarious books money but also the purchaser. But more to the point after just 2 days why should they, I purchased an item off the internet on 29th December the item was in stock and was despatched from 75 miles away from me and it arrived on 15th January, Thats how Sh*t happens.

Get a Life, Some people MUST complain about everything, one poster on "The other side" as you call it even called in the trading standards after a campsite charged him 2 euro more than it indicated in the book.

When things like that happen I can Fully understand why they then get rebuffed and then because they speak back as they are spoken to the complaints start, treat as you wish to be treated.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have dealt with Vicarious books since they started I have had Numerous items from them, everyone has been what I wanted, I have pre ordered and all items have arrived as stated, I purchase ACSI DVD's from them and ACSI cards and books and have done annually since they started and NOT ONCE have I had reason for complaint.

Will I chop off my nose to spite my face ? Not a cat in hell's chance, I WILL continue to buy from them as long as they continue to produce.

Well done Vicarious Book's you will do for me, :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FullTimeDreamer

Free Member
Aug 21, 2009
Funster No
I have dealt with Vicarious books since they started I have had Numerous items from them, everyone has been what I wanted, I have pre ordered and all items have arrived as stated, I purchase ACSI DVD's from them and ACSI cards and books and have done annually since they started and NOT ONCE have I had reason for complaint.

Will I chop off my nose to spite my face ? Not a cat in hell's chance, I WILL continue to buy from them as long as they continue to produce.

Well done Vicarious Book's you will do for me,

Like I said earlier, those who have not had issues with this company( LIKE YOU) will not have had to experience the customer based focus (NOT) of this company. Its when things go wrong that good customer service is a must and when this particular company has been found lacking. Do they have more satisfied customers that disgruntled ones? Probably. But that does not excuse their attitude to the few! And as they have discovered the few can be vocal and bad service will be talked about with more vigour than good.

As an aside, In my experience when someone asks another to "get a life" it is they who are in need of one:RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back