Vibrating doors at speed? (1 Viewer)

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
Hi All

I only seem to be on here when ive got issues:Doh: its not really a problem, i just want to know if its common or easily fixable....

Ive got an Autotrial Cheyenne 696 2001 on a Fiat and at speed, well 70> or in a fair wind the top of the cab doors seem to vibrate?

Aside from this i'm a very happy chappy, all of the post Spanish break in damage has been repaired and ive just bought a privacy room which will be tested in the Lakes this weekend.

Im just glad i was able to find a site fairly close to civilisation as im with the missus and the baby.

The CCC site in Keswick had places available so my first trip to Keswick::bigsmile:

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
It's a well-known and common problem on that vintage of 'van.

I once went over the A66 in a near gale and I swear I could see daylight through the door seal (inbetween moments of sheer terror when I thought I was going to get blown over).

It is possible to minimise the problem by adjusting the door-striker mechanism to the point where the doors only shut with a good, solid slam. (but it's unlikely to fully cure it in the worst of conditions). Can'tr remember whether it's a hex or torx bolt head on the striker.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
they all do it to an extent and there's no real cure.
additional draftproofing tape may help but it doesnt look very nice.

you may find it does it more in a diagonal head wind...whichever side is 'out of' the wind will move most due to the pressure difference (vacuum) on that side sucking the door outwards.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dragabed

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/tech-mech-general/21985-vibrating-doors-speed.html#post

had this prob in another van i rolled the window down put my knees against the inside of the door and bent the top of the door inwards about an inch i think and the door closed better and stopped the vibrating

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
It is possible to minimise the problem by adjusting the door-striker mechanism to the point where the doors only shut with a good, solid slam. (but it's unlikely to fully cure it in the worst of conditions). Can'tr remember whether it's a hex or torx bolt head on the striker.

We had the same problem on the passenger side door. Like you say only at speed , over 40 plus. Ralph adjusted the striker plate as above, it worked. It now closes with a bang rather than a chunk , but doesn't whistle anymore!
Bev

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I think that stopping the door vibrating is largely a matter of luck.

Read somewhere that is something to do with the Luton shape, or the over cab bulge, and due to the fact that the door top was not man enough to stop vibration when converted something to do with wind currents. It does apparently not happen to standard vans.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
We had this on a Swift Kontiki. We solved to degree by fitting window wind deflectors. It seemed to change the air flow slightly and reduce the vaccum effect.

Link Removed

AS a bonus as we did not have air conditioning, we could drive with the windows open and no draught.

Rgds

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
What I would be concerned about is not the vibration but the possibility that the door seal is not working properly due to a badly fitting door.

A leaking door (Water) can end up doing one hell of a lot of damage to the van base, most bases are made of thin layers of plywood with insulation in between and from what I have found out and seen, the plywood is not even of a marine quality!

Doug...

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
As already said wind down the windows and bend the frames inwards to make a better seal at the top. Do it a bit at a time and do a speed test before bending again. :thumb:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
What I would be concerned about is not the vibration but the possibility that the door seal is not working properly due to a badly fitting door.

A leaking door (Water) can end up doing one hell of a lot of damage to the van base, most bases are made of thin layers of plywood with insulation in between and from what I have found out and seen, the plywood is not even of a marine quality!

Doug...

Wrong door, sorry

Doug...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back