Vets Fees (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
I don't get the worm tablet thing at all, our dogs get wormed regularly at home so don't understand the need ? The rabies jab I do understand but they get those details off the PP when they're checking the chip at Calais anyway. We've been to vets who have given the dogs a good check, temp, heart etc and others that have just popped the pill and stamped the book.

My vet explained that this tablet is for a certain type of worm that we do not have (and don't want) over here. He explained what happens to the dog, not pleasant.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Slightly off topic but. Does anyone know if their pet insurance is valid in other European countries?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Just read mine, Animal Friends, emergency cover only, 30 day max trip, three trips a year

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I took my lab to the vet on Wednesday as she has a skin infection. Receptionist '£80.79 please'
Then she says 'do you want an invoice'
Well yes please so I can see what we pay for
The consultation at £21 is reasonable for 3 minutes of a highly trained professional. The other £60 worth of three separate types of tablets ( antibiotics, steroids and Piriton) was looked up online.
Yes prescription only for the antibiotics and steroids but the total cost would have been about £26.
I don't expect them to stock the medicines and sell at cost price but the internet sellers are not selling at a loss either. Yes I could have asked for the script and ordered online but I wanted her treated without delay.
If garages did this with car parts, they would have no customers but because it's cuddly animals, everyone just pays up.
Lastly, a lesson I learnt many years ago is avoid any vet who has a large aminal or horse hospital. I am convinced that most clients that do not own a horse are subsidising what is a very expensive treatment centre that the practice cannot usually keep busy.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The garages do do that with car parts look at the cost of the oil used next time you have a service. I always find people think every other job apart from theirs is better paid and easier if its that well paid and easy don't moan get your kids to do it!!!

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
My vet explained that this tablet is for a certain type of worm that we do not have (and don't want) over here. He explained what happens to the dog, not pleasant.
Funny how our vets (we use 2) will sell you the tablets for the French vet to administer and if you go for less than 5 days you get the pet wormed here. I'd be asking questions (y)

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Slightly off thread, but I was at the (NHS) dentist on Friday - abscess.
X-rayed, abscess drained and dressed (root canal needed but just about to go away for a while), total time about 40 minutes with dentist and dental nurse. Cost, £3.46
That's because you are in Scotland! The minimum charge in England is about £24 .

My Sons chocolate lab has had to have three ops in 7. Months because he eats things he shouldn't ie toys and spare ribs, he is Insured with Tesco , the ops cost more than the allowance he is now in debt for £1000 ! Luckily they have arranged a repayment scheme as his yorkie has had to have an op on her back leg! Well two really as they repaired one tendon then a couple of months later the other side had to be done! Insurence might seem a rip off , but I'm glad they had it as I would probably have ended up paying for them
Before someone says !, he has no idea where the spare ribs came from, certainly not their garden.

One of my dogs I took to have his teeth cleaned, the Vet said he wanted full bloods taking first! ?90 then he said as his liver count was high he wanted him in all day so they could starve him then test again £60! All that was done all except his teeth as at that time we had a family problem I couldn't do with anymore stress.
So next week when I take both of them for their annual boosters we will probably have the process to go through again.
I just wish after reading how much cheaper treatment is in France I had got him seen to over there in June.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Insurance has made veterinary work very profitable and their charges reflect this. We of course pay for this in high premiums.
The difference from our point of view is that without insurance our Dalmatian would have been put down a few years back. Treatments overall have improved because of this injection of insurance cash.
Don't think regulation is the answer.
Both me and the dog are on life time medication.
For the dog we pay the vet £9 for a prescription and then go to a chemist and pay £8.50 for the tablets, we can use the script just one more time.
For me I pay £8.20 each time but the tablets are less than 3 euros to buy if bought in somewhere like Spain.
So both of us are being ripped off, the dog by private enterprise and me by the NHS. Once a doctor or vet has prescribed a treatment for life you should be free to source it from wherever is cheapest. Rip off Britain.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I heard a side remark when I was at the vets the other day that this requirement would be done away with soon.. any ideas?

Not heard anything but there's every chance. The requirement isn't an EU one and isn't part of the pet passport scheme. It doesn't apply at any other EU border. It's a requirement of DEFRA that they insisted be added to the scheme when it was introduced. According to my vet it's completely pointless and unnecessary. Initially you had to have a tick treatment as well but that was done away with some years ago.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I don't get the worm tablet thing at all, our dogs get wormed regularly at home so don't understand the need ?

Is the wormer you give your dogs a general one or a tapeworm specific one? There is a difference.

Advice from my vet: If you are travelling to Europe regularly i.e. 3 or 4 times a year don't bother giving them tapeworm specific treatments i.e. Droncit or Millbimax as part of your normal routine. The treatments they get to travel will be more than adequate to protect them for the year.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Slightly off topic but. Does anyone know if their pet insurance is valid in other European countries?

It's the same as any other insurance. If you ask for european cover you will get it and be charged for it. If you don't ask for it you probably won't be covered.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
if you think dogs are expensive at a vets, you should see the bills ive had for horses , the biggest one was 22k , fortunately the horse was insured.
I had a car in my garage once and the repair was a lot easier than I expected , I had quoted the woman £850.00 and I had a conscience meeting and thought , I don't rip people off so ill give a 50% discount ,that would be fair I thought.
The lady came back for her car , a mercedez convertible and as I was showing her around the repairs I enquired as to what she did for a living , im a partner in a vets practice she said , I replied that will be £850.00 madam:)

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
CHANGE OF PHONE NUMBER
The vet at Forges Les Eaux ( Mr Patrick)
Will be changing his telephone number from the end of April 16
the new number will be 0235900505
His address is the same.

We have two labs and he has always been excellent
he speaks very good English

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Our dog has arthritis in her rear left hip joint following an accident. In order to diagnose it, and check the level of impairment, our Vet X-rayed her. This required a general anaesthetic and subsequent aftercare. The cost, including the consultation was £325.

She is now on tablets for the rest of her life.

The Vet wants to do a blood test, to ensure the tablets are not creating problems, as they are known to have side effects. I' m OK with that but.........

.....he also suggested that "It might be a good idea to X-ray her again"

When I asked why he said to check on progression. I asked him what he would do if it had progressed. The answer was "There's not really anything further we can do but I thought you might like to know."

At a further £325 I am happy to remain in ignorance.

I will continue with the tablets and blood tests as long as necessary, but put her under a general anaesthetic, at 10 years of age, for no good reason, no!

As the suggestion of further X-rays appears to have been made for no other reason than to be able to raise a charge I am considering a change of Vetinary practice.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Does appear to be daylight robbery in theUk now . One of mine had some lumps & our vet here x -rayed, then an ultrasound followed by local anaesthetic & 5 biopsies + cost for the lab test. 175€ the lot.
Fortunately came back all benign.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back