Very Poor Design (1 Viewer)

Jun 26, 2012
Claypole, Near Newark
Funster No
MH
WildAx Elara
Exp
After a few days in Fylingthorpe last week I was amazed to see how poor the roof over cab design is in our new acquisition this year.

Of course the precipitation pissed it down. However, for the life of me this is shocking as you can see. A river of water runs off the roof and down the door seal. I'm just hoping that the seals are excellent! Although that will not help when you open the door to get in or out it literally pours all over the inside of the door that contains electric window switches. This was a constant stream and as long as it rains its there. How can this be anything other than another design fault and in this instance it is not Fiat's design. This belongs squarely with Dethleffs.

How many others have and are experiencing this problem and has anyone come up with a simple DIY fix?
Look forward to comments.
20191011_140628.jpg
20191011_140638.jpg

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
I'd have more faith in the vehicle manufacturer than any make of motorhome body stuck to it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I'm absolutely no expert, but it looks like something is missing there.

Our 15 year old Inca has a proper rain gulley thing between the cab and the overhead bit..

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
I'm absolutely no expert, but it looks like something is missing there.

Our 15 year old Inca has a proper rain gulley thing between the cab and the overhead bit..

Agreed. They seem to have made a better job of sealing the vertical interface between the cab and the sides. Both areas subject to potential flexing and expansion/contraction.

Sep 6, 2019
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Frontier
Exp
since 2015
A panel van doesn't have a drip rail above the door does it ?? the rain just pelts it down onto the top of the van & door seals,, it should be fine just as it is.
kev

Jan 18, 2014
Wimborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
low profile coachbuilt
Exp
5 years. several more as a caravanner
Our new Dethleffs has the same problem so be interested in any fore the coming solution. Do you also get the ‘drip, drip,drip’ effect on the rear hitting the lower moulding which is very audible when in bed...grrrr!

OP
OP
Archie H
Jun 26, 2012
Claypole, Near Newark
Funster No
MH
WildAx Elara
Exp
Our new Dethleffs has the same problem so be interested in any fore the coming solution. Do you also get the ‘drip, drip,drip’ effect on the rear hitting the lower moulding which is very audible when in bed...grrrr!
Fortunately I haven't noticed it yet but I do suffer from poor/selective hearing according to my wife.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Not a new problem I think. I believe my Burstner had the same problem a few years ago.
Perhaps a small oversight on the designers behalf and missed by everyone else who did not observe this otherwise excellent van while standing in a rainstorm.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Johns cross also sell this and you get a discount for being a MHF member?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
It has to run off the roof somewhere and every time you park up it is quite likely to run off somewhere different.

OP
OP
Archie H
Jun 26, 2012
Claypole, Near Newark
Funster No
MH
WildAx Elara
Exp
It has to run off the roof somewhere and every time you park up it is quite likely to run off somewhere different.
Preferably not into the door electrics though. Doesn't detract from poor design in the first place.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
De-grease the area that you are applying the drip stop. Mask off the area with guide lines as once applied it can't be moved about easily. If you warm it up with a hair drier it makes it more gluey.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
We always try to park very slightly nose down so water runs off at the front. Of course, this means the silver screens get wetter!

Sep 13, 2018
Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2017
I have raised the issue of drip drip at the rear with Lowdhams. The water drips off the Thule bike rack fixing at the top because the bracket does not extend to the full width of the rear. Been told Dethleffs are doing a fix and am currently waiting for the revised part to arrive. Been waiting since May!

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
next time get an A Class
lol
Jim

On mine It does the same, runs off the awning when parked a certain way and straight down the window. :)

OP
OP
Archie H
Jun 26, 2012
Claypole, Near Newark
Funster No
MH
WildAx Elara
Exp
DMEvans, please keep us posted on your progress with Lowdhams/Dethleffs, if it's anything like the response I got in relation to the recent Teleco Satellite problem all they ever seem to want to do is open your wallet and help themselves. Thanks for responding.
Archie

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We have a Dethleffs and we don't experience this. However I'm a bit anal about getting the van level so perhaps you're parking with a slight sideways and front end slope?

OP
OP
Archie H
Jun 26, 2012
Claypole, Near Newark
Funster No
MH
WildAx Elara
Exp
You may be right however that does not detract from the fact that their is no provision for run off even when on the move other than wind force.

EMS

Jan 8, 2010
Hants Sussex border near
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low
Exp
Started 2009!
I have found often when it is raining the rain dripping of the trim at the back of the van onto the bumper annoying when trying to sleep, my wife does not have this problem. This is not always the case if the van is slightly nose low then the rain runs of the front of the van as has been indicated above. Not a problem when on site but bad when getting in or out of the van when on route. Tell us how you get on with the sticking of the rain gutter.

Sep 13, 2018
Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2017
DMEvans, please keep us posted on your progress with Lowdhams/Dethleffs, if it's anything like the response I got in relation to the recent Teleco Satellite problem all they ever seem to want to do is open your wallet and help themselves. Thanks for responding.
Archie
Will do. Unfortunately Lowdhams now not replying to my e mails. So frustrating to have an irritating issue that could so easily be fixed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back