Very new to me! (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Hi all

This weekend' i must have looked over 100 motorhomes!

I'm coming out of boating all my life to try something new and different for a change.

I have sort of whittled down my viewings down to two types I particularly like.

These are not the exact ones but are the same models. I would appreciate comments or pm's concerning quality and resale values.

I like the back lounge models but appreciate the fixed bed and garage storage space for bike etc i.s good

number one on my list is

and number 2 on the list is

Broken Link Removed

Again, these are not the actual homes but I am looking at less than 1 year old for both of them.

I'm interested to hear quality and reputation and any comments for a complete novice!

Cliffx

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I suggest you search for Alan Kerr, something rings a bell on that name.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
002.gif

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Hi cliff dale I had a look at your choices and liked the lay out of them both it was nice to see that they were made from the early day traditions and un like these modern sardine boxes as of today,so again a good choice, not expecting any thing else from a boat person so enjoy your new found adventure and travels and last but not least a big WELCOME from us up here in the forest lands,regards AlfandM

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Both have a similar layout so I suggest you also have a look at the Autotrail Apache 700 which has the same layout. By the way, @tonka has his up for sale

Last edited:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hi & welcome :)

Have you tried doing a search on the forum & see what gets thrown up? I appreciate that by doing that you may be likely to get to see what sort of issues people have had.....

We looked at loads & loads of vans and ended up with something completely different to what we thought we wanted (and we had a caravanning background so didn't think we were coming at it from scratch):D

Happy viewing & hope you find something soon.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Avoid Alan Kerr..........................

Our advice for what its worth is consider the type of camping you will be doing (staying in one place, touring, wilding, abroad, length of trips etc) and let that shape the size / type of camper you buy rather than buying one that ticks all the boxes for what you THINK you might want.

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Alan Kerr is one of the places I visited. They had around 80 motorhomes for sale.

The use I plan is weekend wilding, touring Cornwall. On site week camping hooked up to electric

May be get over to France

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome!:WelcomeFlag:
Remember if you are hoping to wild camp a huge van may not be possible in some places . Try out lots of vans make up beds , pretend shower ,sit on loo ,pretend cook a meal and see if the layout works for you!! Is there more than one or you may need seat belts if not beds for passengers sometimes!!
Sorry to throw up more questions but it is a lot of money and most don't get it right first time! We have had 3 and still not found perfection ! It's about compromise! But also having FUN!!

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
We also like wilding and touring Cornwall so think very carefully about the size of your van. We are all different so you have to find your own way to a certain extent. For us sacrificing a permanent bed for a more compact van is a decision we have never regretted, but I suspect the majority on here would disagree. It really is horses for courses but, as other posters have said, the main thing is to have FUN!!!!!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We also like wilding and touring Cornwall so think very carefully about the size of your van. We are all different so you have to find your own way to a certain extent. For us sacrificing a permanent bed for a more compact van is a decision we have never regretted, but I suspect the majority on here would disagree. It really is horses for courses but, as other posters have said, the main thing is to have FUN!!!!!
Exactly our thoughts, we have a u shaped lounge at the rear , no fixed table and no dining at the front, we have an over cab bed but only use it for storage, in practice we useualy make up the lounge into a bed and leave it up , as good as a fixed bed then just sit on it to the movable table, so then we have loads of space for cooking and getting in the shower/toilet at the front.
Of coarse this only works for two, if there are kids to be thought about , it changes every thing.

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Thank you for all the lovely welcomes, it's a friendly place here!

It's very difficult to make up our mind about the size for a first timer. We thought big as our boat was 12m which was just right for us.

We felt that going smaller would end up being traded in for a larger home.
The dream is to tour France, Portugal and Spain hence big and comfortable as possible. At the moment there are 2 of us but occasionally 3 when daughter visits. It would be nice to accommodate her when needed.
It's a scary amount of money to spend so I'm hoping to get it right
I just hope it's not too big.

I am looking into hiring one for a week but that's ÂŁ500 dead money to me. But still it might save a fortune

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
Better to have ÂŁ500 as dead money than ÂŁ42K+ spent and regretted. Welcome to the fun mobsters, we don't get much done around here but we love the fun...
I was very lucky, 1st choice and got it right, the Elddis 175, a two berth, with bathroom @ rear, large storage for clothes over one meter in width. It takes less than three minutes to make up both beds, and around the same time to put it back into bench seats.

So what can I put into the proverbial pot, how many will be venturing, two or three. Remember this, if you have three on the odd ovations, but mainly two, then you need a Moho for two. I could go on, but that may very well cause more confusion. My advice is this, see what Moho you reckon will suit your own tastes, hire one, book a pitch somewhere, and enjoy your time. If you feel that type of Moho is your cup of tea, then go for it.

All the best Flook

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Nit sure if it has been mentioned but payload is a big factor. Also i believe some dealers hire vans and refund rentel if you end up buying from them.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Have you looked at vans with swivel cab seats? The Bailey you linked to has ( it looked to me) fixed cab seats, you lose a lot of space by not being able to use them as part of the dining, seating area.
And, if I was being super critical, the shower looks quite small with the sink taking up a lot of space, unless it tips up or otherwise moves.
We found that spending a lot of time in each van we looked at, sitting everywhere, trying the toilet for size and going through the motions ( :oops:) in the bathroom helped us make the right choice.
But, three years down the line, even though the layout was perfect, we found it too small for what we want now and upgraded to a bigger van.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Do what we did, rent a few vans of varying makes and layouts. Actually that's not true, we knew after our first rental that we were going to go for a swift, just didn't know which model, so I think we rented most of them! :D
See which you can live with in anger so to speak!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Hiring for me - wasn't "dead" money, just wise investment learning whether my assumptions were proven or not.
I learned a lot in that week (y).
Also worth noting, a lot of the rental places are also dealers, and they will discount the hire against a purchase, if you purchase that is! :D

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
All good advice, I think you have a clear and unbiased fun result. Hire one from a dealer and see if that is for you. Remember this though, a MH is not like a car to drive, you have to remember the length and width are greater than a car or a Ducato style vehicle. Remember you will be in very close proximity to your other half, more than at home.

All the best

Flook

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back