very new but very enthusiastic!! And excited! (1 Viewer)

ruthasaurus

Free Member
Apr 4, 2012
cheltenham
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet :(
Exp
im new
Hello hello hello! My name is Ruth,
I'm another one who does not yet own a camper, but I really really want one. I only passed my driving test in June (at the age of 30), and absolutely LOVE driving. I've been lucky to have a few friends who have put up with the non driving me in campers around New Zealand and Ireland. I'm a very good navigator now, but am itching to get in the drivers seat.
I fell in love with our autosleeper in Ireland, which was a VW topaz. The set up (particularly the shower and loo) meant that we didnt have to stop at a campsite in the whole 10 days, i definately enjoyed the wild camping side of vanning.
I would ideally like to get a Topaz but I'm not really sure 1) if they really are any good and 2) if there are other models are similar/cheaper/better! Ive found its hard to get an insurance quote without knowing the exact van I will be buying. Any advice would be much appreciated! I'll have a good trawl round the forums now.
It really is nice to feel surrounded by other people with the same interests :Smile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I've seen the Topaz though never owned one. Brilliant layout and VW reliability though expensive parts if you need them. Everything you need for wildcamping in a really small vehicle.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Ruth, good luck with your search, and welcome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Ruth,

Welcome to fun and congrats on passing but be warned you cannot drive anything over 3500kg with your licence (just in case!!)

Peter

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the fun, I was going to ask why you have a sore... but never mind maybe later when I get to know you better. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Do check out the chatroom, quite busy most evenings and quiz on thursday nights always great for a laugh.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
welcome also from us

Welcome from us also.. nice to see that some younger people getting in to motor homing ... Peter of Johns Cross speaks gives some very valid advice re the weight limits on the present B licence in the UK... suggest you also speak to some insurance companies as they often limit age of drivers on some motor homes.

But do join in the site banter.

Bob, Sue and Ezzie the St Bernard

FirstJood

Free Member
Aug 7, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
more than 5 years

Hiya,

Welcome to motorhomefun, you will find loads of people here able to help...

One thing as regards your insurance is to SHOP AROUND, though there are limits on what you can drive you may well find that your lack of driving experience ups your premium as well....

Try the camping and caravanning club and the caravan club too for prices, you might have to join to benefit from the better prices but that might save more on the premium than you spend on the membership, don't be afraid to ask either, you lose nothing but the time typing in the question and someone is bound to know the answer.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Ruth, the biggest motorhome show in the country happens in Peterborough at the end of this month, pop along you'll be spoilt for choice. Its a buyers market but be careful, take a lookLink Removed first. Meanwhile, welcome to the fun:thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi Ruth,

[HI]very new but very enthusiastic!! And excited!
[/HI]

Thought I was on the wrong forum, for a moment my heart was fluttering......:wooo:

Welcome, nice to see some young blood....:thumb:

as said shop around for your insurance.

When we first started I had quotes from over £1000 down to £190.
Finally settled on £220 comp, with full euro cover.... but took a lot of searching.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Autosleepers are a well respected name and with that model you have no problems with weight , I have a 2007 VW T5 Transporter window van which is brilliant and I would have no hesitation in recomending it as a base vehicle.

Dave

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Hallo Ruth - welcome to MHF!