Very kind lady from the caravan opposite (1 Viewer)

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Came over and asked if we needed any shopping doing, as they have a car! She looked positively shocked when Mr QFour said that if we need to shop we’ll pop down to Lidl in the motorhome. :ROFLMAO:

Mrs QFour

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
7.03 I hope :) (Elddis Majestic 155)

We're going to whizz up to Callow Top for a shakedown next week (once I've dropped the oil and changed the fuel filter...)

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
Have you been to Callow Top before?
We have but only with the caravan... I prefer Rivendale further toward Buxton but Callow Top means we can get onto the Tissington Trail and walk down to Ashbourne

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We are picking up our first MH on Sunday and it will be interesting to see how we cope with no car... It's a learning curve I guess but one we are excited to try :)
Cycle walk or bus. We normally do heavy shop on route and then walk or cycle every day for bits and bobs.BUSBY.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Just need to be organised.
We stop en-route at a convenient supermarket with decent parking and stock up for a few days.
By the time supplies are running short we are usually on the move again so the cycle is repeated.
Essentials like morning croissants and fresh bread can be found most places in France (where we spend most of our touring time) with just a short walk or cycle ride.
At the moment we are staying put so I buzz of on my bike and stuff the pannier at Intermarche or Lidl.

Richard

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Still some kind, thoughtful and generous peeps out there. We stay put now too. Used to move every couple of days but didn’t quite get to see a place properly. We like most responses, buy enroute. Then walk or bike to get what we run out of. Tend to avoid small car parks such as Lidl or Aldi and as a rule, park where there are little to no cars. Usually guarantees someone will park right next to you so have to squeeze out watching the rear overhang.

OP
OP
138go

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We did a big shop at Carrefour before we arrived here. There is a Mercadona a cycle away and a Lidl with a large car park. The shop on the site has all the essentials as well. She seemed a really nice, friendly lady and really liked our dog. So even though a caravaner, was probably okay. :D

Mrs QFour

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We have a toad which is very useful in UK but we don’t use it in France.
As we usually move from Aire to Aire every day or two we just stop for shopping on the way!

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We usually shop on the way, and try to buy enough heavy stuff (wine and beer) to last us for a few days. The longest we tend to stay in one place is 3 nights, but we only have a small fridge so we often need to pop out on the bikes to replenish fresh things. Its amazing how much shopping you can get into a couple of dutch-style cycle panniers though - we can buy enough food to last us a couple of days plus a few bottles of wine and still have a bit of space left over.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Our last couple of jaunts have been fairly local, so I've taken the van and Val's taken the car and it's been really useful. I think we will do it more often on local trips. It's the only thing I miss from our tugging days, but I wouldn't want to A frame or trailer.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Our last couple of jaunts have been fairly local, so I've taken the van and Val's taken the car and it's been really useful. I think we will do it more often on local trips. It's the only thing I miss from our tugging days, but I wouldn't want to A frame or trailer.
And the other advantage is that missus can park next to you at supermarket thus ensuring you can get out again! Considering going over to making Pikachu (if you saw the numberplate you'd understand :LOL:) a toad for long distance motorway stuff.

Gillygrim

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534
Exp
Since 2005
We go down to Antibes every summer, park up and don't move the van again until ready to come home, 11-12 weeks. We get our bus passes renewed and do all our shopping at the large hypermarket using our shopping trolley and hopping on the very reliable and frequent buses. Not only is it an economical way to shop but we also get to chat to people we meet on the bus. I recommend it !

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We go down to Antibes every summer, park up and don't move the van again until ready to come home, 11-12 weeks. We get our bus passes renewed and do all our shopping at the large hypermarket using our shopping trolley and hopping on the very reliable and frequent buses. Not only is it an economical way to shop but we also get to chat to people we meet on the bus. I recommend it !
Surely a caravan would be better for that type of use. The main advantage of a motorhome is that it is better for touring around rather than staying in one place.

OP
OP
138go

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Surely a caravan would be better for that type of use. The main advantage of a motorhome is that it is better for touring around rather than staying in one place.
Mr QFour always says that the main advantage for him, is that a motorhome is easier to drive than driving a car pulling a caravan. Motorhome also seem to have a better layout with pull down beds etc.

Mrs QFour

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
It was a bit “lively” after dark when we tried it I’m afraid
We’re booking Rivendale now for next week... we may get the bus into Buxton one day or walk a little.. Ashbourne maybe a little far on foot from there but we can take a bus there also if we get bored...

Looking forward to giving the MH a first try...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back