Versailles (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2011
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E480
Exp
Since 2012
We are thinking of going round Versailles Chateau on our next trip to France in September - anyone know if you can park a 7.5m van there or alternativly anyone know of a campsite with public transport to Versailles?:thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We've thought of going there ourselves but similarly I can't find reliable info on t'internet on parking there, height barriers or length restrictions, or public transport.

The Huttopia site

http://www.huttopia.com/en/nature-camping-Versailles-france.html

seems to be the nearest camping with a very close railway station (Porchefontaine, 600 metres) but whether that is of any use to actually visit the flipping palace etc, or whether there is a bus service, or whether the camping might do a mini-bus or something - I have absolutely no idea.

I wish you would go and find out ! :ROFLMAO:

It does seem like you are best off pre-booking including the headphones translation thing, and my preference would be to find out (which you can from the website) when they do the evening fountain displays and round off the visit with that. Earlier/later in the year that is only on certain evenings. From what I gather, you'd never see ALL of the site and buildings in just one day anyway, unless you have a strong constitution with the legs and stamina of a marathon walker.

And .... it ain't cheap ! but most likely very good value for all that as long as you allow more time than you might think ......

Not a place I think, to pop in on a whim whilst passing :roflmto:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We've been twice to Versaille but a very long time ago! :Eeek:

The 1st time was in 1987 and we camped at Maison Lafitte for a few days and used the train to get around.

The 2nd time was in 1997 and we stayed in a hotel in Paris - again we used the train to travel to Versailles.

Both times were in August and we didn't pre-book anything!:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
1. Don'

DO NOT buy your tickets at the Palace.The queues can be horrendous. Go to the Office de Tourisme on Av de Paris where there probably won't be a queue at all.
You can park on Av de Paris while you nip into the Tourisme to check that things haven't changed since 2010.
The Palace is closed on Monday but the gardens are open for free. This is good as you can easily spend a day just wandering the grounds.
Allow yourself at least two days to do the inside of the palace(s) as there are a few. And get into the main palace as early as you can so you avoid the bus tour crowd. The bus tours don't all do the Trianon and Petit Trianon so they tend to be a bit quiter.
Last year we parked at a car park on Avenue de Sceaux which leads directly to the Palace and is a comfortable 5 min walk. The Office de Tourisme said we could park overnight and we stayed 2 nights. Parking is free from 6pm to 8am and was 10 Euros from 8am to 6 pm. A bargain for parking so close to the palace.
It isn't perfect - it slopes and there is a bus station at the top end so can be a bit noisy.
Mike

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Thanks makems - that's very helpful !

What time of year was this? and was it midweek or weekend?

Hycon

Free Member
Oct 6, 2008
N.E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
just starting
Stayed at Huttopia Versilles last year. Bus not too far away and Train to Palace or Paris close by .Lots of steps to raised line if you are just going to the Palace none if you are going to Paris. Bus better bet if you are just going to the Palace .I belive that the Place is closed on Mondays but the grounds are open all the time.Ticket queue at Palace massive but did not seem too long to get served .Also there are ticket agent's in the town before you get to the Palace ,they may charge more for tickets and the queues seem as long.

Sid

Last edited:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
It was September when we went.
We arrived on Monday which was how we discovered the palace is closed then. We did the gardens and on Tuesday did the palace but ran out of time to do the Trianon - hence the advice to take two days.
It's not too far from Versailles to Monet's garden at Giverny which is well worth a visit. But make sure you don't do it on a weekend as it gets extremely crowded with Parisians on a day out. It doesn't seem to feature on a lot of the bus tours so it's not so bad during the week.
The house itself is not very big so we just bought the cheaper tickets to see the garden only - t's quite extensive and takes a while to get round. In September the flowers were stunningly beautiful.
The car park at Monets place is quite big and can take vans but the access roads are pretty narrow. If you have a large unit it may be worth parking on the way in to the village and walking half a mile. We managed it in the van we had at the time (a panel van conversion) but would think twice about it in our current A class.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Have just come back from Versailles and went on Thursday. Avenue De Sceaux is now not available for overnighting. However if you are a heavy sleeper there is nothing wrong with parking down the avenue de paris about a kilometre and it is free all day. We managed to get a parallel spot and the warning is for vehicles over 10 metres. HOWEVER on walking the grounds we noticed the Trianon had loads of free parking and could not see a reason why they would stop you overnighting here and then just walking into the grounds of Versailles absolutely free. The gardens (atm) dont have their waterfalls on and night time viewing (supposed to be spectacular is only available at weekends july august and early september. It is 18 euros each for the house, 23 if there is a music thingy going on (i really dont know what that means) and if you are there by 0900 then buy your tickets (if you want to go in the house) at Versailles. There is still a queue to get in but only 10 minutes. You could of course get there at 0830 and queue for the half hour til it opens with your pre bought tickets from the tourist office. Upon entry at 0910 hrs we were still herded like sheep through shed loads of Americans and even more Japanese with their annoying guides and their upright arm holding a coloured flag with most of them on their tablets showing their friends in foreign countries. Well you may have gathered my thoughts on paying for the house (been there done that wont go back) but the gardens are well worth 2 days and give good consideration to your bike and charge your camera, totally stunning

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
I stayed at Hutopia and the site is quite good although finding a level pitch can be a challenge. My recollection is it would be about a 2 mile walk to the Palace, perfectly doable. Don't even think about the train other than into Paris. A bus is possibly available but I have never tried. A taxi wouldn't break the bank and at least you would save your energy for walking the palace and grounds

Oct 27, 2017
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
2nd time around.
Just "done" Versailles, stayed at Huttopia campsite, which is pretty good except its M'home service point. Cycled around Versailles grounds on Monday PM when Chateau closed - absolutely vast and spectacular in glorious sunshine + superb meal beside the huge ornamental lake. ( Friendly staff, good food and reasonable price)
Planned to get there by bus on Tuesday having booked 9.30 tour of Kings appt's to beat the queues. Ended up walking, as the French take no prisoners at bus stops - its elbows out and ignore the people waiting in front - only 1/2 the dozen or so waiting got on an already crammed number 171 leaving us an "invigorating" walk.
Also visited Giverny, garden which was stunning but crowded, although being outside it wasn't as bad as Versailles sharing every sq m with the masses shoulder to shoulder, after our guided tour finished!

Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
Done Versailles 4 weeks ago.

Huttopia great position for bus up to palace or train into Paris- will be way better out of school hols but we had no choice! Good set of ramps will get you level!

Agree about tickets & gardens- if the palace is a must see buy skip the line tickets though to be honest it was a massive let down for us - hugely overcrowded & not much to see really - rooms not dressed other than paintings. Still good to see but not worth queing 2+ hours for!

Gardens on the other hand well worth it - you can hire golf buggies for €34 an hour that give you the highlights as the gardens are immense! We walked back through the gardens & got the land train up - lazy I know but it was a long hot day! Agree about restaurant by lake - lovely setting & staff food good.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back