Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Hello

We are trying to sort some sort of itinerary for our trip to France in June...we hope to see more of Brittany/ Loire valley etc...but also on our wish list is the Palace of Versailles.
We hope to find a campsite or aire within reasonable distance, and maybe catch a train to Versailles...
so we wondered, does anyone here have any experience of this, or any hints/ tips, please?

Many thanks

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I've just booked Huttopia Versaille for a couple of nights in June, I understand it is the closest campsite to the Palace. We are using it as my son lives only a few miles away. Have never been there but reviews are okay and we have stayed at Indigo city sites before.

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
There is an acsi site within the town of Versailles, sorry can't remember its name. From there its a short walk and bus ride up to the Palace. Leave a full day for your visit. We hired bikes and visited many of the outer parts like Marie Antoinettes farm which were really interesting. Have fun.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I might be a bit of an oik, but I found the Palace of Versailles really boring. Mind you I find most of France boring so don't listen to me

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We stayed at Huttopia and caught the train to Versailles, absolutely loved it, the gardens, though not as we expect gardens, but loved the history and spender of it. Also a very good market there.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
pins_c_desc.png
Versailles, 31 Rue Berthelot Huttopia c/site

fr.png

en.png

de.png

nl.png

it.png

es.png

BROKEN LINK

In the heart of the forest, just 5 minutes from the Palace of Versailles and 20 minutes from the Eiffel Tower, the Huttopia campsite benefits from a perfect location (Porchefontaine RER C station is within walking distance of the campsite), enabling you to set off for lovely trips and visits with your family. On the site itself, you will surely like the heated swimming pool, the friendly café and restaurant and the comfortable washing amenities.
Id : 12332 - Créé le 6 11 2013 par huttopia
GPS :
N 48°47’39.84” E 2°9’40.716”

Adresse :
31 Rue Berthelot
78000 Versailles
fr.png
France

Voir sur la carte

Price of services : 9 €
service_point_eau.png

service_wc_public.png

service_douche.png

service_electricite.png

service_animaux.png

service_eau_usee.png

service_poubelle.png

activite_rando.png

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We spent two days at Versaille and STILL didnt have enough time to see it all!
The Versaille palaces are closed on Mondays, but the gardens are open and free so that allows you to roam the gardens at leisure, the only downside being that the fountains are turned off.
DO NOT turn up without booking your tickets in advance because the ticket office queues can be up to 2hours long once the tour buses start turning up!
You can book in advance using the tourist information office web site here:

This avoids queueing at the entrance.
My advice is get there as early as possible. Once the tour buses start arriving the tour guides will just push you out of the way to get their group through as quickly as possible. If you get there early you can stay ahead of them.
When we visited (6 years ago) the Tourist office said we could park overnight in the car park on Avenue de Sceaux which cost 10 euros per day. However their website is not recommending it now and the price has shot up to 25 euros per day so it wont be much cheaper than the camp site (if at all). You can still park their during the day time if you want to drive in instead of the train.
I hope that helps

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Huttopia but youll need a bike to do it in 10 mins

OP
OP
F

Fifiwi

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Ah, many thanks, all. It looks like Huttopia is the place- I love the "foresty" setting- and we will book Versailles tickets in advance, as recommended. I have memories of being drowned out by coach tours at some of the Loire chateaux...we haven't visited in High Season since. It does look like we'll need a couple of days, but we've got an "extra" week of holiday this year, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back