Ventilation whilst stopping on Aires (1 Viewer)

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Good morning one and all, my wife and I will be embarking on our first of hopefully many French tours next week. Our only plan is the train booking their and back and we will basically go wherever the sun is shining.

Now, I don't want this to turn into a gassing thread:whistle: and this may be considered a silly question by many:oops: but with security in mind I just wanted to enquiry with you knowledgeable folk what you do for ventilation, whilst parked up overnight at an Aire (we will not be using any motorway stop overs!).

Thank you in advance for your input(y)

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Hi
We've toured France using Aires for the past couple of years.
Never had any problems and you will enjoy the freedom over there.
We usually have the windows just cracked on the first opening but will have the roof vents open. Unless thieves bring a ladder we are safe.
I bought 'Lock-M-Out' window safety things for our last trip just for extra security and they work when the windows are on the first opening so no one can get in. All good so far.
Enjoy and safe travels.
Nik.

Last edited:

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Tilt the skylights. We have four plus the bathroom one so with a few on the vent setting there is enough draw to keep a breeze flowing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
We have often left the windows in the overhang open, both when in bed and out of van. Always feel safe in aires ( or we don't stay in that one). Also roof lights open- many times still been hot! And back window as bike rack in wat it can't open more than 3 inches. Have fab time

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
Endless breeze fan on the shelf at the bottom of the bed works well for us, with the skylights open.
I have got a 12v socket fitted on the unit by the hob to power it.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We've usually part-opened the window or roof vent nearest to our heads, but left the mesh across to keep the bugglies out. The rest stay shut. Old MH had a Luton so we were high up, current MH has a detachable rear ladder, which we leave off to keep the roof as secure as possible.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Try and park where there is the most shade, open the skylights, put the fly screens across them and don't have a curry before retiring.

And you'll be fine.

Whether on Campsites or designated Aires then you'll almost certainly not have a problem with security - we never have and many a time we're the only ones on site.

Relax, meander and have a good holiday.

:france: :france: :france: :france:

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Another vote for the endless breeze fan here .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Roof vents partially open and also one or both of our rear door windows slightly open ... bike rack prevents it being open more than a couple of inches (we keep the bike rack in the closed position with a lock on it). Never have any other windows open, not even on 'night latch' as it would be too easy for someone to slide something under and push the latches open, even with Lock-m-outs on as they could be slide sideways to remove them IMV.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
You will almost certainly not have a problem but if you are the slightest bit concerned move on, or use a campsite. We have occasionally looked at a place and thought no, doesn't feel right and gone somewhere else.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
We have a roof vent fan fitted, reversible flow, directly over the bed.

We also have a 12v plug in effort for when we are just kicking back, reading, drinking or watching TV

One of my personal criteria for stopping overnight is not to stop anywhere where I wouldn't feel happy to leave the bathroom window open all night. I don't do so usually, but if the answer is no, then I move on

Not had any problems yet (touching wood)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
On an aires in SW France. Storm was starting as we went to bed last night, after a very hot day. Turned out it was just a very strong wind, but the sky had looked very fierce, so didn't want to leave the skylights up in case it rained. Bad mistake. woke up later absolutely cooked, part the heat and part from a tummy problem. So elected to open vents, plus the window by our heads, with the flyscreen down, and this reduced the temperature in the van just about sufficient to go back to sleep. I do have a usb fan which started out very quiet, but now makes a gentle noise, but Mrs Dorwyn can't stand it. Tonight we'll have everything open!

OP
OP
Hellski

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Wow, thank you to everyone that has posted with their advice(y)

We have an Omnivent fitted, so will have this switched to extraction mode with both roof lights cracked open. We also purchased a Transcool last year from the Stafford show but not had to use it yet, so will be interesting to see how it performs.

We both feel very reassured thanks to you all and getting extremely excited:D

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We try and keep the blinds down as much as possible during the day if we aren't travelling and park in a shady spot unless we need the sun to shine on the solar panel
At night, we have all the skylights open and a couple of side windows open a touch to get a through draught.
Been doing this for donkeys years with never a problem.
Have fun on your trip

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
For keeping the van cool, awning out is good cos it keeps that side van wall cooler. Also when poss keep a good draught going through, in our case, side door open and rear doors too. This also means that flies etc come in one door and out the other, not hanging around, whereas if you have screens over doors and they can get in, but they can't get out, so hang around and annoy or bite. Just our findings at the mo.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Also if you can park up with the habitation door side of the MH not facing the sun the MH should stay cooler. We find that helps a lot...as well as our fridge being on the same side as the hab door so it being on the shaded side helps it work a lot better in hot sunny weather.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Also if you can park up with the habitation door side of the MH not facing the sun the MH should stay cooler. We find that helps a lot...as well as our fridge being on the same side as the hab door so it being on the shaded side helps it work a lot better in hot sunny weather.
Agreed

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
For keeping the van cool, awning out is good cos it keeps that side van wall cooler. Also when poss keep a good draught going through, in our case, side door open and rear doors too. This also means that flies etc come in one door and out the other, not hanging around, whereas if you have screens over doors and they can get in, but they can't get out, so hang around and annoy or bite. Just our findings at the mo.

Good idea,but!! What about those super intelligent Mosquitoes? They don't fly in and fly out they hide to come out later and create havoc!! They come in for the attack and though you see them you can never find them,clever little critters.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Good idea,but!! What about those super intelligent Mosquitoes? They don't fly in and fly out they hide to come out later and create havoc!! They come in for the attack and though you see them you can never find them,clever little critters.
Luckily none at the mo. Amazing coz last time we were here we got well bitten. I hadn't thought in my posting to add a mozzy warning, thought that one goes without saying. Self preservation before ventilation.

Last edited:

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
IMG_0088.JPG

Fly screens on all the windows and roof vents and a nice fan to move the air round. Two speed and multidirectional. One in the main part one in the bedroom.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Don't fart in the van, you should be ok, I've gassed a few others though when I've been in their vans I'm sad to say!:rolleyes:(y)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
A fart a day
Don't fart in the van, you should be ok, I've gassed a few others though when I've been in their vans I'm sad to say!:rolleyes:(y)
will keep the mozzies away

Well it's a good excuse to relax a bit!

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Lots of fans and roof vents open. We also put our windows on 'slightly open lock. Relax and have a super time.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have a Fantastic vent, have it extracting set on low and rooflight over the bed on vent. We get a nice cool breeze over the beds and once the van cools down the thermostat in the Fantastic vent turns the fan off. Get a good nights sleep even when its in the 30's.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
When we give our dog her final walk of the day we close up the motorhome and spray mosquito killer as we close the door on leaving. The length of walk allows the smell of the spray to dissipate while we are out. That seems to take care of the little blighters.

We would agree with the previous posts, window nearest bed on first catch, rooflights open with insect screens drawn and if you don't feel comfortable, security wise, move on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back