Ventilation in hot weather (1 Viewer)

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
I've been trying to find something called a wind scoop to attach to a motorhome skylight to capture any breeze and send it into the moho. They are quite common in the sailing world. See below.

<Broken link removed>

I can't find anything like this for a motorhome. Obviously it would have to be modified as you would be unlikely to be able to dangle it over the hatch in the same way, unless parked under a tree. Anyone aware of anything like this?

OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Well, price for one thing, weight for another........ I may well end up with a Fan-tastic vent, but so often traditional style solutions work quite well too. Just wanted to see what's around, if anything.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The trouble with motorhomes is that they are not on the water where there is more of a breeze to catch, you could put the Heki lid right up and it will catch some air if it is facing the right way, but in my opinion you are better off with a powered vent, give a bit of thought to opening windows on the "cool" side of the van and you can manage the heat quite nicely.

Martin

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
...opening windows on the "cool" side of the van and you can manage the heat quite nicely.
and shutting curtains/blinds on the sides of the MH that are in the sun's glare.
But remember to move them aside to look at the view :eek:

We bought our MH late August & after 'practising' on the drive it was quiet autumnal by the time we got to a campsite so we've all the keep cool tips to gather.
We did OK at keeping warm in winter :) Our gas heater on low settings :)h:) kept us cosy overnight & at 3-4 was toasty for dinner & chilling. But that's OT :eek:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Whilst travelling, I fix the rear vent up to draw air through the van and that seem to work. They will not hinge the other way (unlike on caravans) but I think they would get ripped off by the wind (or a low branch) if they did.
Whilst stationary, reduce heat gain with screens. A fantastic (or similar) is good, but may not be essential.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hot air rises so you want the roof vents to be used for expelling air. Unlike a yacht a MH has big side windows and a door or two. Open these and then open the roof vents and use an Endless Breeze fan to aid circulation inside the vehicle. :)

OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Expect you're all right. Barking up wrong tree. I expect something could be bodged up but probably worse than some of the suggestions above.

Have Dometic bought the rights to the Endless Breeze? The Dometic brand item looks like the same thing?

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
One of the best things we bought for our van was a 'Solar view' screen,keeps the heat out,people can't see in (unless you've got the light on at night :oops:) but you can see out.

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
If you really want a scoop, B&Q do a canopy for a hot tub for £30, which might be adaptable on the roof. Alternatively, we have a Maxx Fan instead of the middle Heki, which is superb. Oh, and two computer fans in the upper fridge vent to keep the air cool.
1584098295732.jpeg

Madbird

Free Member
Apr 25, 2015
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian
Exp
3 years
We have downsized now to a much smaller wagon, we now have a Warwick Duo, which we love, we bought a place in Spain and it is wonderful for the trip there and back etc., we also installed a Viesa Holiday 12v evaporator which is excellent for the Spanish heat in summer! We love it because we are totally independent and only need to go on site every 4-5 days for water, the solar panel and that mean th1at we are happily cool at night! Apart from putting our own swivel seats in it is the best thing we have added

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The trouble with motorhomes is that they are not on the water where there is more of a breeze to catch, you could put the Heki lid right up and it will catch some air if it is facing the right way, but in my opinion you are better off with a powered vent, give a bit of thought to opening windows on the "cool" side of the van and you can manage the heat quite nicely.

Martin

Be careful what you wish for.

I opened our electrically powered Remis 'Heki type' rooflight right up when surveying the solar panels.
It goes in next month to fix the non operating 'down' function of said rooflight.
Doh!

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
I got a piece of acrylic cut a hole in it for a 220mm computer case fan wired with a variable switch to the nearby light and fixed it into our rear roof vent above the cooker.
With the other roof vent or windows open works a treat.
Don’t think it cost me more than £10:00

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Maxfan is brilliant. Fitted ours a couple of weeks ago and gave it a few tests last week in the heat and then a proper test this weekend whilst away in the van. Really really happy with it, and is quiet enough can run it whilst asleep.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back