Vehicle kept off road - endorsement (1 Viewer)

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Trawling through the small print on the renewal for the motorhome insurance, I noticed an Endorsement that I was not aware of

"Condition of policy that if kept at home address between 10pm and 6am it must be kept off the public road"

Not anticipated as being a problem, as parked on drive, but how common is this Endorsement?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Trawling through the small print on the renewal for the motorhome insurance, I noticed an Endorsement that I was not aware of

"Condition of policy that if kept at home address between 10pm and 6am it must be kept off the public road"

Not anticipated as being a problem, as parked on drive, but how common is this Endorsement?
New on one me, but I suppose if you say you keep it on your drive at home and get a reduced premium because of it then it's only reasonable to expect it to be on it otherwise some people may claim they put it on their drive but just leave it on the road all the time.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
When you applied for insurance one of the questions was probably "where is the vehicle kept" as this affects the premium . You must have answered "on drive " or that vehicle was not parked on road overnight , hence the endorsement :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Clickem

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
I appreciate that if claimed to be on drive then that is where it should be. I just wondered how common it was to have that endorsement spelled out. It is possible to see it parked on the road, if you were unaware of the requirement and were, for example, having the drive repaired

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I appreciate that if claimed to be on drive then that is where it should be. I just wondered how common it was to have that endorsement spelled out. It is possible to see it parked on the road, if you were unaware of the requirement and were, for example, having the drive repaired
If you have told your insurers that it is kept on the drive at home then you ARE aware of the requirement, it doesn't need to be spelt out in the endorsements, our policy doesn't have this wording but I know I told them that's were it's kept and wouldn't' put it anywhere else. If the need arose for it to be kept on the road as an exception (drive repair) then I'd ask the insurers if they were happy about it first, I'm sure most would be so long as it's not for a long period of time ... it's about risk and a MH on the road is more likely to get pranged (ask @GJH!), broken into etc than one on a private drive.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Comfort Policy Doc states :

Storage

Your motorhome will be considered to be stored or in storage when it is not in use for the purposes of travel or other day-to-day activity.

Storage Location: The address recorded on your statement of fact of where your motorhome is kept when not in use.

Change of storage location
10. You must tell us immediately if you are intending to store your motorhome for a period in excess of 48 hours at an address other than the storage location disclosed to us in your statement of fact or at an approved storage location. This will not apply if you are using your motorhome at the time. If you fail to notify us of any such change of storage location your policy may be voided or any claim may be declined.

Exclusions.
3. Loss or damage covered under section 1 if your motorhome is stored for a period in excess or 48 hours anywhere other than the storage location disclosed to us in your statement of fact.

This affects those who may be wintering in Spain and decide to fly home for break.. the van will not be insured if left on a site more than 48hrs

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
@scotjimland can a caravan site be considered as a storage facility if it’s on a pitch.
If you do leave it for more than 48 hours.

Just a thought

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
@scotjimland can a caravan site be considered as a storage facility if it’s on a pitch.

Just a thought

best to ask your insurer..

my interpretation of the Comfort policy exclusions is NO.. as it was not " the storage location disclosed to us in your statement of fact."

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I’m with Safeguard and notified them that mohome would be on road while work carried out a few months ago, no problem. Just informed them that it would now be in drive when at home, annual reduction of £70, it’s important that all details are correct.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
In addition..

If the premium for your motorhome has been based on your motorhome normally being kept overnight at an agreed storage location, in the event of a theft checks will be made as to the location of the motorhome.

If it is established that your motorhome is NOT normally kept overnight at the agreed storage location the insurer may, without prejudice
to other rights to void cover or reject the claim outright or increase the excess payable for any loss or damage to £400.

These excesses apply in addition to any other voluntary or other compulsory excesses that may appl

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

Just a thought

In respect of the Comfort Policy that will be a no. If you leave your van anywhere other than its official storrage site for more than 48hrs then you are not covered unless you inform them and seek approval.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Change of storage location
10. You must tell us immediately if you are intending to store your motorhome for a period in excess of 48 hours at an address other than the storage location disclosed to us in your statement of fact or at an approved storage location. This will not apply if you are using your motorhome at the time. If you fail to notify us of any such change of storage location your policy may be voided or any claim may be declined.

Exclusions.
3. Loss or damage covered under section 1 if your motorhome is stored for a period in excess or 48 hours anywhere other than the storage location disclosed to us in your statement of fact.

This affects those who may be wintering in Spain and decide to fly home for break.. the van will not be insured if left on a site more than 48hrs
My caraven guard policy is the same. MH is stored on a Naval Base and the insurance states that. If I bring it home to pack / repair / clean etc, it can only be on my drive for 48 hrs without telling the insurers or no cover.

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
I think these endorsements are quite common. My old VW T4 camper which was insured with Adrian Flux and garaged at night when at home had the following amongst its endorsements

"Overnight garage if your vehicle is parked and unattended within one kilometre (0.6 miles) of:

* your home; or
* any other address, if we have agreed to that address;

it must be in a garage between 10:00pm and 6:00 am, otherwise you will not be covered under section 5 (Damage To Your Vehicle), 6 (Fire and Theft Cover) & 7 (In vehicle entertainment and navigation equipment cover)"

Cheers

Trevor

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
best to ask your insurer..

my interpretation of the Comfort policy exclusions is NO.. as it was not " the storage location disclosed to us in your statement of fact."

What I was trying to get across, not very well, if you are on holiday and leave your MoHo or caravan on a pitch.
Just thinking you might go off for a 3 day cruise or similar from where you are based with the van.
It could lead you into a lot of bother

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
What I was trying to get across, not very well, if you are on holiday and leave your MoHo or caravan on a pitch.
Just thinking you might go off for a 3 day cruise or similar from where you are based with the van.
It could lead you into a lot of bother

yes indeed..

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Comfort Policy Doc states :

When I spoke to Comfort earlier in the year about storing our van in Spain for the winter, they weren't happy, even though it would be locked indoors, inside a professional storage facility. They said OK for up to a week and an extra premium of about £50 - but not 6 months.

Eventually, at renewal, they did come up with an offer of £919, compared to our usual circa £310. Eventually, found the cover I wanted elsewhere for £450, which I was happy about.

Shame to say bye bye to Comfort after 8 years, but the difference was just too big.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back