Vehicle Horn Doesn't - Frustrated!! (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2020
Frome, Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto 69GL (LHD)
Exp
Since 2005
Hello all Funsters, I have a 1999 MB Vario 814D Campervan conversion (24V system). The horn doesn't work and I have been so confused trying to work out why. I am using a multimeter and would expect to find 24V at the horn terminals but I am reading about 7mV that goes up to about 450mV when I press the horn. I have checked the fuses and the relay (that clicks) and even that only reads 7-450mV. What could be wrong? Any assistance or advice would be welcome.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Horns tend to be wired with a positive feed and the negative is earthed via the horn push. If yours is that type then you should have 12v at the horn. I would start by checking and double checking the horn circuit fuse.

Geoff

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
two types of horns one wire and two wire two wire ones eatrh at the switch single wires you get power to the horn from the switch and they earth via the fixing with either you should get 24v at one terminal with the switch closed /button pushed if your not getting power check fuses and then check for power at the switch

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have checked the fuses and the relay (that clicks) and even that only reads 7-450mV
The relay may be clicking but that doesn't mean the contacts are making contact.
Change the relay as a first step......unless you mean it's 7 to 450mv at the trigger wire at the relay but then that isn't enough to trigger the relay anyway.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
If it works with a direct feed from the battery it could well be a connector terminal issue, I had the same problem on a previous m/h, put new spade terminals on and it worked(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popty

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
American RV,
Exp
Since 2018
If you're getting Mv at the horn, then it's probably bad connections or corrosion in the wiring, or a combination of both, corrosion plays havoc with wiring and voltage, easy way to describe it is, treat it like a garden hose, no problem (when there is no restriction)then water flows easy, put your foot on the hose and water flow slows or stops, that's what corrosion does to electrics, look for any green verdigris on connections and cables, the corrosion stops electricity flowing properly

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back