Sep 20, 2014
Luton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
8 years
I have autosleeper Cotswold
We are parked on site with electric hookup in spain for last 5 weeks yesterday couldn't start van as battery was flat I'm confused as to why or what I'm doing wrong or not doing right
Sensible answer will be appreciated
Comical ones accepted

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Can't speak from experience of your van, does your charger have a battery select switch (habitation / vehicle) denoting which battery gets charged? Could you have been inadvertently using the vehicle battery as a habitation power source? Some form of constant drain? Do you have a battery master or similar to keep vehicle battery topped up when leisure batteries are fully charged? How old is the vehicle battery, could it be nearing end of expected life? Do you need to turn the van charger on in addition to being on electric hookup?

Unlike I, I'm sure someone who knows what they are talking about will provide guidance soon. Good luck!

Last edited:

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
...someone will pop along shortly to give you an answer....I've been thinking we must replace our starter battery before we leave for Spain in a couple of weeks....it doesn't seem to be quite as healthy as the habitation one and seems to have a lower charge read out...we've had our MH only for a month and next week we'll try wild camping to try it all out...hope you get the answer to your query here before long.:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
If you have been parked for 5weeks without starting the engine, the starter battery will have discharged. You need to put the battery switch to vehicle to charge the starting battery once a week

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Can only reply from my past experience I now have a battery master but previously my battery kept dying ( only year old) so thought must be a drain heard on here radios are often the culprit so took fuse out hey presto when I had van serviced he told me it was a drain easiest thing now when not in use press button to release front of radio never had problem since but of course yours could be different hope you get sorted

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
The Autotrail we used to have had a reversing camera with a power switch in the cupboard with the Sargent charger and entertainment system gubbins. If we forgot to turn that camera off it would drain the battery.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Do you have control panel set to smart charge or leisure only?
Panel can be set to charge either or both batteries, on mine I can choose which battery to charge or use.
If you can, set panel to charge vehicle battery.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I have autosleeper Cotswold
We are parked on site with electric hookup in spain for last 5 weeks yesterday couldn't start van as battery was flat I'm confused as to why or what I'm doing wrong or not doing right
Sensible answer will be appreciated
Comical ones accepted

It sounds like you have no facility to charge the start battery when on hook up ,or if you have it was never selected...
Someone has already mentioned a battery master type device which will provide a small charge current (usually 2 to 4 amps) to your start battery once the leisure batteries are up to voltage...
That seems like a good option for you to prevent same thing happening..
Andy

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
You will have a Sargent controller on your A/S Cotswold, go on the Sargent website and put your controller in and get the instructions, and it will tell you how to set up your charging system.
Mine is an EC480 if yours is the same I can tell you how to set it up, there is no need for a battery master on your van as you can set the controller to Vehicle, Leisure or Smart charge which charges what ever batteries need first.

John.

Ps found link Link Removed

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back