John Liput

Free Member
Apr 5, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
Since 2019
Hi my autotrail cheyeen 840D 2007 vehicle battery if left uncharged its at 11 volt in 3 days, its new, i changed all batteries i cluding 2 x leisure batteries.
Solar panel will charge leisure batteries ok.
Ive tried leaving alarm off but might last 1 day more.
Im leaving it on mains in the drive as after 4 days no power to start the 3L engine.
Any ideas?

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
On my van 10% of the solar charge goes to the vehicle battery.

We leave it for months and the vehicle starts every time.

What is your solar regulator set up?

Upvote 0

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I think that you need a Battery Master fitted. This will keep the Vehicle battery charged to 0.5v below the leisure batteries using the solar panels.

Dont forget you get a fun discount from Vanbitz

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
John Liput

John Liput

Free Member
Apr 5, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
Since 2019
On my van 10% of the solar charge goes to the vehicle battery.

We leave it for months and the vehicle starts every time.

What is your solar regulator set up?
Hi thanks for that i will get the manual out and check it

Upvote 0
Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
It shouldn't be draining in the first place and the solar panel should help keep it topped up I'd of thought

A battery master sounds ok but aren't that cheap and it shouldn't be doing it in the first place so something is wrong.

I normally start with a voltmeter to see how much of a drain you've got and work from there.

If its got a drain much over 0.1A I'd start pulling fuses to work out where its going.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
John Liput

John Liput

Free Member
Apr 5, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks i will try that

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
You have probably got a power drain from the cab radio/media centre which can drain a surprising amount, plus your alarm.
Not all solar regulators send a charge to the cab battery so a Battery Master is often a good remedy.
I had a heavy discharge on my cab battery in our old AutoTrail when I forgot to turn the media centre off after a trip. It completely knackered the battery which had to be replaced.

Richard.

Upvote 0
Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Has it got a Pioneer head unit, recently read that they drain more than other

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Hi thanks for that i will get the manual out and check it

Dont bother thats not a facility used on Autotrails.
My first action would be to get a multimeter and go test the voltage across the battery when the EHU is on. A new battery and then no power / charge sounds more like an issue such as you have blown a fuse or the charger in Sargent unit is faulty. Start with the voltage test and see what you are getting with EHU connected and charger switcher on... (y)

What Sargent unit do you have fitted ??
If its the 2007 the manual says there is an internal fitted fuse..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
John Liput

John Liput

Free Member
Apr 5, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
Since 2019
Dont bother thats not a facility used on Autotrails.
My first action would be to get a multimeter and go test the voltage across the battery when the EHU is on. A new battery and then no power / charge sounds more like an issue such as you have blown a fuse or the charger in Sargent unit is faulty. Start with the voltage test and see what you are getting with EHU connected and charger switcher on... (y)

What Sargent unit do you have fitted ??
If its the 2007 the manual says there is an internal fitted fuse..
Think its a 325 is a massive unit does all sorts

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Think its a 325 is a massive unit does all sorts

The 325 states it has a duel solar charger and so should do both leisure and cab battery from the solar, although at this time of year it wont be putting much in..
To me it seems like there is no link from the mains charger or the solar onto the battery. So maybe an inline fuse has gone.. The fact you have a new battery and are on EHU charger rules out things straight away,,,
Multimeter on the battery and if your not getting 13/14v then track back from there.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Before you do anything about keeping it charged you need to find out what's discharging it. Cab battery should hold enough charge to start the engine for at least 3 - 4 weeks.
As the van is 2007 I would start with the alarm, then anything else that runs off the cab battery. Need to get an a meter in series with the battery and check current draw.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Have a read of this thread.
If you're buying a meter to investigate this problem, a clamp meter is the best type for this job.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RobWid

Free Member
Sep 25, 2018
Exmouth (at the mo?)
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2018
Hi I know many others - including me - have had the problem of the vehicle battery not holding a charge for very long. I tried exploring the issue for a while and even removed the permanent live feed from the radio but still wouldn’t hold enough charge to start a large Diesel engine.

Agree it is good to find the drain but I wanted to use the van and in the end gave up looking and took the advice from others to fit a battery master. Best thing I did. Can now park up for a month or more and no problems starting. A decent solar keeps the leisure charged up fine even with living in the van on winter and surplus is passed over the the vehicle battery when it starts to drop.

I did have a few issues fitting the Battery Master and initial instructions didn’t work but VanBliz were great at advising other solutions over the phone. In the end a direct (fused) connection battery to battery worked wonders.

Good luck

Rob

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back