Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Ok ill admit Im a beefeater but my partner is a veggie so this normally causes problems especially when we go out for meals as the 1st thing I look for is the veggie option.
14 years later & I got to admit im starting to like some of those options but I do like a huge burger or steak when the opportunity arrives.

So what Veggie options do other Funsters enjoy ?

Im liking those Quorn Sausage rolls @ the moment.............

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Don't think much of Quorn (son is veggy and actually likes it) but we have a local pub called the veggie red lion which does some really great food. I'm a carnivore but. Really enjoyed the veggie curry tonight (Dawn is at center parcs with friends so I'm dog sitting.....)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Tesco has a range of vegetation frozen meat substitutes that we have found very nice,we like to have at least 1 night a week meat less.

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
we have found our local tesco options have gotten less over the years however sainsbury's have gotten bigger & better in both chilled & frozen.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I'm veggie, husband isn't, but he prefers the veggie sausages (Linda McCartney) and quorn veggie burgers to the meat version.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yes, that is one thing we never understood. Linda McCartney sausages are ok but veggie bacon? It stretches things a bit.

Edit - can't stand halloumi either

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I've been vegetarian for almost 50 years ( really pi***** my parents off! they refused to cook meals for me for months)
Eat mostly salads and raw food but make veggie soups, pasta sauces from scratch. Have a few quoin fillets and sausages in the freezer but that's about it.

Some veggie food in restaurants is dire but maybe their meat options are awful too & I just wouldn't know. There's always baked potatoes or pizza when/if I eat out.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
When our kids (God bless them) decided to become veggies at a young age it didn't make for easy holidays in France, which, as you know, is a country that eats everything that walks, crawls, swims, slithers and flies. Going for meals in small rural restaurants, the best they could manage when we asked about vegetarien was "You can 'ave ze 'am and pineapple pizza and leave ze 'am". That apart, it's a lovely country.

Personally I don't feel like I've had a proper meal if I haven't chewed something, and the chew factor is often missing in veggie food, but I'll give the whole menu a fair hearing and sometimes have non-meat dishes.

Can anyone explain to me why veggie meat substitutes like Quorn are made to look like meat? If you don't like meat, why pretend you're eating it? I mean vegetarian bacon rashers - what's the point? It's like having a Koran in the shape of a whisky bottle.

004010.jpg

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Like Janine I don't understand vegetarians. If you eat vegetables because you dont like meat. Why would you want to eat meat flavoured vegetables such as quorn. What the hell is this quorn, is it a plant, a tree or what. I never heard of a quorn plant. Maybe they only grow dahn sarf.

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Don't think much of Quorn (son is veggy and actually likes it) but we have a local pub called the veggie red lion which does some really great food. I'm a carnivore but. Really enjoyed the veggie curry tonight (Dawn is at center parcs with friends so I'm dog sitting.....)

Get off the dog you cruel bugger... :sneaky::whistle::whistle:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Ironically Quorn shares a name with an historic Leicestershire Fox Hunt.

It's made of mushrooms.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I like veggy food but not the meat-substitute stuff, ie vegetarian sausages. Sausages are supposed to have meat in them, anything else is always going to be a poor imitation. Enjoy vegetables for what they are.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
We don't eat quorn stuff because it LOOKS like meat ........... the manufacturers have decided on that .... I eat Quorn stuff because it can add substance to a meal, not every meal, and it also adds a source of protein which can be missing in vegetarian diets.... I also don't eat meat now, albeit not in the beginning, because I am a great believer that meat contributes to various types of cancers, and that is backed up by many scientists. It is also brilliant for people on diets to lose weight as long as you are careful in your choice.. it can have much less bad fat in it.

Not a scientist but research from them done .... see the book Your Life in your Hands, just for an easy reading example.

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
I'm a big meat eater but Jane is a vegetarian, we use different pans in the kitchen & motorhome so no meat taste can be transferred. I love the vege sausages from Linda McCartney, and once cooked a shepherds pie for Jane's BIG meat eating brothers using quorn mince and they never noticed any different. Even roast potatoes cant be cooked in a meat pan as Jane will notice straight away, tried and tested :sicker::whistle:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I'm vegetarian and don't eat so-called 'meat substitutes'. I don't want to eat meat and I certainly don't want to eat anything that passes itself off as a meat substitute. I like my food to be loud and proud vegetarian. Nowadays it is so easy to get hold of all kinds of vegetarian ingredients - and there are loads of interesting and tasty vegetarian recipes online or in books.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I like veggy food but not the meat-substitute stuff, ie vegetarian sausages. Sausages are supposed to have meat in them, anything else is always going to be a poor imitation. Enjoy vegetables for what they are.
I agree entirely. I am an omnivore. I like meat, but I also like things that aren't meat. And I enjoy fruit and veg because it tastes like fruit and veg, not because I have made it taste like meat

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back