Vegetable oil/ Fiat 2.8 mechanical injection (1 Viewer)

stevebill

Free Member
Jun 23, 2010
UK sometimes
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
OK, I'm sure this subject has been ragged to death - but having had a quick trawl through old posts I can't see anything specific, and specific is what I want.
The mechanical injection Fiat 2.8s of approx 1998 up to 2002 were intercooled turbos of the old school. I deliberately looked for an engine without electronic fuelling. Try getting that fixed in Tafroute..........
And so - has anyone had specific experience of using new ,unused, pristine vegetable oil in one of these motors?
I'm asking 'cos i'm interested. I once - about 1996- put Biodiesel in a 2.2 Peugeot I owned- the injector pump shat (or is it shit, or shitted )itself. Actually, thinking back, at £1000 for just the pump I think it did all three at the same time. So, I'm keen to learn how times move on.
best wishes to everyone, especially those lucky enough to be going to Morocco later this year/early next.
Steve
EuraMobil 635 Integra 2001. Fiat intercooled turbo diesel, mechanically injected.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not 100% but i feel sure its the bosch pump which is allergic to cooking fat...new or recycled.

It attacks the pump seals.

Im sure it would need a pre heater as even new veg oil is far more viscous than regular diesel

OP
OP
S

stevebill

Free Member
Jun 23, 2010
UK sometimes
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Aha! Your'e answering a question I didnt ask! The bloody Peugeot had a Bosch pump mutter, mutter....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the only pump I know of that does not have a problem is the Bosch, others need preheaters etc (I do have a pre heater and various pipework that was fitted to my old Merc 508D open to sensible offers.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
you are obviously not going to get a definitive answer here but google journey to forever for more specific authorative answers.
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_svo.html
there you go.

One of the great advantages of biodiesel is that it will run in any diesel engine. The same claim has been made for two-tank SVO fuel systems: "Ready-to-install kit that will allow you to run any diesel on waste vegetable oil." Also in any weather.

Is it true? Maybe, but for how long?

In cold weather vegetable oil crystallises, forming solid wax crystals that can quickly block the fuel filters. One solution to the all-weather problem with two-tank kits is to change the filter in winter, using a 30-micron filter instead of the standard 10-micron filter (or less), so the wax crystals just go straight through without blocking the filter and melt in the injection pump, allegedly without causing any stress or damage.

Also going straight through into the injection pump however will be any solid particles of between 10 and 30 microns that the specified standard filter would have stopped.

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Lucas pumps will self destruct even with dino diesel. Bosch will run on just about anything. No diesel engine likes neat vegoil. Well made bio diesel is a completely different story.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Are you sure yours is mechanically injected 'cos by 2001 the JTD electronically controlled injection was in use so if yours really is mechanical it must be a late registered earlier unit.

D.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not 100% but i feel sure its the bosch pump which is allergic to cooking fat...new or recycled.

It attacks the pump seals.
the only pump I know of that does not have a problem is the Bosch, others need preheaters etc (I do have a pre heater and various pipework that was fitted to my old Merc 508D open to sensible offers.
There yer go then.....i knew it was one way or t'other.

OP
OP
S

stevebill

Free Member
Jun 23, 2010
UK sometimes
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi Dave. Mine was registered in the UK in 2001, but was German in a former life. It was actually made late in 1999, and wasnt converted by EuraMobil until 2000.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Are you sure yours is mechanically injected 'cos by 2001 the JTD electronically controlled injection was in use so if yours really is mechanical it must be a late registered earlier unit.

D.
My last 2.8 was mech pump and 2001.....DTi-TD

As you say, probably an older late registered model.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Go here ,
http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/vegetable.aspx

"helpful info" scroll down & click " vegetable bob" & he tells what's what re; all types of pump.
I have the N/A 1,9 fiat engine in mine & that has the bosch pump same as the pug xud & is regarded as best of the lot. It still doesn't like 100% veg oil especially in cold places. All right here but only problem is that it is usually dearer than diesel! :LOL:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I take too long posting. lol.:LOL: Snowbird's already posted link.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Go here ,
http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/vegetable.aspx

"helpful info" scroll down & click " vegetable bob" & he tells what's what re; all types of pump.
I have the N/A 1,9 fiat engine in mine & that has the bosch pump same as the pug xud & is regarded as best of the lot. It still doesn't like 100% veg oil especially in cold places. All right here but only problem is that it is usually dearer than diesel! :LOL:
Farmfoods shops....national chain.

20ltr veg oil =£19.99......quite a saving.

BROKEN LINK

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

stevebill

Free Member
Jun 23, 2010
UK sometimes
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Wildman, the Elsbett info is really interesting, I'll enjoy this. I have that certain feeling that the cost of a professional conversion would take 10 years to pay back !!

lesr48

Free Member
Oct 25, 2014
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano
Exp
Since 2014
Working as I do on a Biodiesel plant, the problem with veg oil comes from the glycerine/glyceride content of the oil itself which is the main cause of problems when using neat veg oil. If you try to remove it at home using (various) chemicals, then the problems arise from the methanol involved attacking the seals in the fuel system.
We convert used cooking oil into biofuel first by refining to remove the free fatty acids in the oil then using Sodium Methylate as a catalyst along with Methanol as a carrier. This has the effect of splitting the glycerine/glycerides from the oil. The methanol is recovered to 99.8% using heat and vacuum as it is very (expensive and) harmful to engine seals.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Wildman, the Elsbett info is really interesting, I'll enjoy this. I have that certain feeling that the cost of a professional conversion would take 10 years to pay back !!
as previously said I have the multi block heater that will heat the oil going into the filter and also reheat prior to going into the injector pump that ensures the viscosity is ok. you can use the same tank. so basically just the fuel pump to either upgrade or replace every 5 years or whatever. My old Bosch pump never showed any signs of a problem. I ran on 100% veg oil in the summer and 50% in the winter, never had a problem on Straight Veg oil.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back