Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
Hi just been reading thread re low mpg and using veg oil.
Thought I knew a little about engines but think I need some clarification please !
Can I use new veg oil in my fiat 2.8jtd engine and how ?Do I just pour couple of gallons of sunflower etc oil into the diesel and nothing more ie engine adjustment .
I've read about people running diesels on old chip oil but never really believed it.
Know diesel is a little cheaper in Spain but not by much so any advice would be most welcome !
Cheers :thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
In a word NO. No diesel engine likes straight veg. I have ran on biodiesel for years, BUT bio is not just veg oil. Modern drive by wire injector pumps do not like anything other than diesel.

OP
OP
Millibobs

Millibobs

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
In a word NO. No diesel engine likes straight veg. I have ran on biodiesel for years, BUT bio is not just veg oil. Modern drive by wire injector pumps do not like anything other than diesel.

Many thanks Snowbird, much appreciated.
It was really just cos read something about this in a previous thread.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
now I disagree with Snowbird, many older engines especially those with Bosch injector pumps run perfectly well on SVO ( Straight Vegetable Oil ) my old Merc 508d ran on it for years, the trouble began when the price went up and I used old chip oil without cleaning it properly, I got diesel bug and clogged up the tank and fuel lines/filter etc. However done properly and with a little preheating in the winter it runs perfectly well.
I still have the preheater kit as the new owners did not want to run on SVO. (for sale if anyone interested.
For more info than you can find elsewhere try "journey to forever"
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_svo.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Millibobs

Millibobs

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
now I disagree with Snowbird, many older engines especially those with Bosch injector pumps run perfectly well on SVO ( Straight Vegetable Oil ) my old Merc 508d ran on it for years, the trouble began when the price went up and I used old chip oil without cleaning it properly, I got diesel bug and clogged up the tank and fuel lines/filter etc. However done properly and with a little preheating in the winter it runs perfectly well.
I still have the preheater kit as the new owners did not want to run on SVO. (for sale if anyone interested.

Hola wild man
Many thanks for your reply. Just read about half of "journey to forever" and had to stop before I fell asleep. Nothing seemed to be conclusive or maybe it's my uneducated brain that wasn't taking it in. Think if I was full time I probably would go more into it but for a few weekends plus 3week euro trip per year ,think I'll stick with normal diesel. Cheers
:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

But the OP does not have an older Merc, he has a 2.8 JTD. Which if am not mistaken is drive by wire and therefore definitely NOT suitable for anything other than dino diesel.
I have made my own bio and ran many, many thousands of miles without problem, BUT, I have only ever ran VW and Merc diesels with Bosch injector pumps.
SVO on its own will tar up injector nozzles and unless there is some form of conversion, ie, twin tank or single tank heating system will not be legal unless duty is paid.
There is so much ill informed information out there on alternative fuels, its best not even discussed on a forum nowadays. The only thing I can say to anyone contemplating using alternative fuels is do your homework (A lot of it) then make an educated decision as to if your vehicle is suitable for burning alternative fuels. Which ever way you go on the use of alternative fuels it must be treated as experimental as there are little long term results and each batch of alternative fuel can be different. Its certainly not as simple as many think and just rolling up at Tesco and buying a full shelf of cooking oil and tipping it into your tank.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back