VB or AS Semi air on Alko (1 Viewer)

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Anyone who's had this. Does it raise the rear ride height? We want it to up rate our rear axle but don't want the vehicles current level ride height to be altered, unless we pump it up high obviously.

Jun 9, 2016
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Exp
None
Anyone who's had this. Does it raise the rear ride height? We want it to up rate our rear axle but don't want the vehicles current level ride height to be altered, unless we pump it up high obviously.

We are going through the same dilemma. We are always on the limit on the rear axle, so are looking at assist. We are on al-ko so I am c9nsidering the Dunlop type system (cheaper) vs the VB system (far more expensive).

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Air assist or total air should not raise the ride height as it should only be pressurised enough to carry the weight . by inflating above the needed pressure is how you lift to what some call ferry setting (for ramp clearance) .

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We are currently on our third motorhome to which we have had AS Air suspension fitted ... The ride height will remain as original but with the dash mounted control can be raised on the move.

Edit, 2 of the mohos were on Also chassis

Last edited:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Had full VB air suspension fitted by SAP in July. Really pleased with the results, much more comfortable ride, better handling, can raise front or rear and tip to one side when emptying waste.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 9, 2016
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Exp
None
Have been doing some research today. The bosses friends had a 'dunlop kit' fitted to their Motorhome for around £500. Turns out that there's was a non AlKo. So I followed up with Markle Leisure, who advised that they no longer supply the Dunlop Kits as they had 'far too many problems with them being fitted correctly'. They have pointed me in the direction of Glide Rite.

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
Going off on a slight tangent, the air suspension shouldn’t raise the rear of your van , but you can also get updated rear tyres fitted, which means you can have an extra 100 kg on your rear axle, give Sv tech a ring , they are very helpful

OP
OP
Hettie's Crew
Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Going off on a slight tangent, the air suspension shouldn’t raise the rear of your van , but you can also get updated rear tyres fitted, which means you can have an extra 100 kg on your rear axle, give Sv tech a ring , they are very helpful
That's what we are doing, we are currently on 215/70 15 109 index tyres and standard Alko 2000kg axle. SV Tech say we need air assist on the axle and a change to 225/70 15 112 index tyres. We can then be rated at 3850kg or 3950kg if they get this authorised in November. We have 2000kg at the front with Goldscmitt springs and rear would go to 2240kg.
Our current loaded weights with half fuel and only 25% water are 1650 front and 1970 rear, and that's before we bring a load of wine home.
It's all a lot simpler and cheaper to up rate a leaf spring chassis.

OP
OP
Hettie's Crew
Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Have been doing some research today. The bosses friends had a 'dunlop kit' fitted to their Motorhome for around £500. Turns out that there's was a non AlKo. So I followed up with Markle Leisure, who advised that they no longer supply the Dunlop Kits as they had 'far too many problems with them being fitted correctly'. They have pointed me in the direction of Glide Rite.
I've contacted Gliderite and they are willing to sell kits still at £1275 including the compressor, if you get it fitted professionally. This could add £3-500 depending who does it.
I think we will be going to SAP at Doncaster and paying £1951 for the Semiair, we did consider full air on the rear at £3600 but that means the removal of the existing torsion bars, swing arms and dampers replaced by lighter torsion bars, new swing arms and dampers. It looks like a really good auto system but being pessimistic I think if you get a problem you're left with no suspension. At least with the semi you still have the original support.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We ve recently had the VB fullair all round and its transformed the ride. and you also have the ability to raise the front or the rear, drop the whole suspension for easy access or to tilt it over to aide emptying tanks.

Having just done a 3000 mile trip around France and Spain, Its not a magic carpet but its a big improvement over standard.

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
We ve recently had the VB fullair all round and its transformed the ride. and you also have the ability to raise the front or the rear, drop the whole suspension for easy access or to tilt it over to aide emptying tanks.

Having just done a 3000 mile trip around France and Spain, Its not a magic carpet but its a big improvement over standard.
We also have VB full air, do you find that when you are stopped in traffic with your foot on the brake, it lurches when you you release the brake?

OP
OP
Hettie's Crew
Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
We are currently on our third motorhome to which we have had AS Air suspension fitted ... The ride height will remain as original but with the dash mounted control can be raised on the move.

Edit, 2 of the mohos were on Also chassis
As you've had three done by AS I assume you rate them highly. I'm thinking of going to SAP in Doncaster as it's a lot closer than Warrington but they are £250 more expensive. That £250 could go towards the tyres I need.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
As you've had three done by AS I assume you rate them highly. I'm thinking of going to SAP in Doncaster as it's a lot closer than Warrington but they are £250 more expensive. That £250 could go towards the tyres I need.
Yes, have been very satisfied with AS....In fact on our current van we have also had them fit HPC hydraulic levelling system.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We also have VB full air, do you find that when you are stopped in traffic with your foot on the brake, it lurches when you you release the brake?

Yes. I put it down to the ALKO swingarm suspension.

It also drops the rear better without the brakes on ie first gear.

i have manual gliderite legs and lift the fronts first forthe same reason, I assume the auto ones do the same but never have thought to check.

Jon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back