jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
You've missed out price? £7,500 on an Alko!!!
Whan you spend £100k on a van with a suspension that isnt up to the job and isnt as safe as it could be its up to you!!!!
BTW its less on a Fiat chassis!!!!
Or More expensive if you have the leveling kit fitted at the same time!!!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Whan you spend £100k on a van with a suspension that isnt up to the job and isnt as safe as it could be its up to you!!!!
BTW its less on a Fiat chassis!!!!
Or More expensive if you have the leveling kit fitted at the same time!!!!!

Previous Moto-Trek PVC was an extra high roof on the Ducato Maxi chassis, which I would agree is a agricultural vehicle to drive, and with a roof rack and sea kayaks was somewhat "entertaining" in side winds. But even then £6.5k?

I find the new coachbuilt MH on the Alko chassis much more refined, even though its taller (but with a proper suspension), so I think I'll put that £7.5k to the Lithium Battery / other toys / Beer vouchers fund.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Be aware VB is not suitable on quite a few of the later Alko chassis on some Hymer group vans.
Our van had a boneshaker ride so we had VB full air fitted, ran into problems with ground clearance Had the additional spaces fitted still sitting too low rear wheel arches would rub on the tyres on twisty fast roads (Spanish motorways) and ground clearance was too low for comfort. This applies to some Hymers & some Burnster's.
Full credit to mick at SAP took it all off and gave us a full refund.

We now have Goldsmittch full air fitter, Travelworld (Goldsmittch UK agent ) wanted £8,700 we had it fitted in Belgium for £7,100. I think it is slightly better than the VB, slightly softer ride on the front end with longer travel so better for levelling. Has other features like sport mode which lowers the chassis above certain speeds & weigh gauges on the axles & emergency inflation points are standard.

Kitch

Free Member
Nov 15, 2017
South Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Adria Sonic
Mick at SAP fitted VB full air to our Adria Sonic early this year, a few different types of Alco chassis apparently, and ours has a Hochrahmen chassis, Total cost fitted £9000, it has made a big difference though.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Its a big decision at those prices isnt it?
I guess it very much depends on how much use and how long you intend to keep the van.
My opinion/decisions on all aspects of expensive mods, has been severely tainted by the smirk/grin on the salesman at our dealership when we collected our brand new Carthago.
He said at the time, "yes fit what you like, solar, sat dish, E&P levellers" ,"even air suspension"!
and you wont get a penny more at trade in over a standard one with no toys!....."it just makes my job easier to sell it when its parked up next to the standard one?

Of course I have fitted some additions to make the van more usable off grid, however those words from our sales guy, still to this day stick in my mind.
I know we will all feel the immediate benefits of any mod/upgrade, but then I have to resign to the fact that to get my monies worth means holding onto the van longer, and not attending any MH shows:unsure: I.m barred from those, OH tells me all the time:)
Happy travels folks, especially those riding on air!(y)
Les

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Mick at SAP fitted VB full air to our Adria Sonic early this year, a few different types of Alco chassis apparently, and ours has a Hochrahmen chassis, Total cost fitted £9000, it has made a big difference though.
£9,000? Was it the new Active Air?

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Had VB (and E&P jacks) fitted to my Elegance as I was really concerned we would damage the exhaust and other furniture underneath on high speed bumps due to how low the front end was. Haven't needed to press "ferry mode" in anger since having it fitted but that is one of the big reasons for my having it done, as the extra lift (in ferry mode) heightens the chassis about another 5 inches to help clear obstacles (with the height already being several inches higher due to the VB). Noticeable improvement in ride and stability around roundabouts

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back