VB comfort semi air or full rear air? (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
In the process of booking my Hymer Grand Canyon S PVC with SAP whom have been very helpful.
Was initially told that semi air was not available for the latest VS 30 rwd Sprinter as all UK Sprinters are lowered unlike European variants, not allowing enough space to fit ballons and necessary chassis strengthening bracket.
Rick suggested as it was a Hymer i contact Mercedes to check chassis coding and to my delight was informed my van had indeed had the chassis lowering code deleted prior to build.
The question is as I've never driven a Sprinter with semi or full air which one do I choose, of course semi air is much cheap, nearly £3000.
But is full air really necessary on a relatively small 6m vehicle, i know it would be better but is it worth the additional 3k

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Hi, we have the 7m lwb sprinter and have chosen to go for the full air, booked into SAP at beginning of Oct. Our water tank is inside near the rear axle and we carry 2 folding Bromptons in the rear boot so like the fact that it will always be at the “right”height. We had full air on our previous van and it was fabulous.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We have ‘full’ air, as in fully automatic as it has only fitted to the rear axle on our Mercedes sprinter based Hymer 8m A class, no option for air on front

ride is unchanged from the non air days , but the option to raise the rear has been used many times, mostly ferries but also sharp change of gradient on the road typically turning into campsites

ours cost £5K when fitted 5 years ago

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks for replying, full rear air VB costs £4300.
Our van is mwb 6m 3500kg uplated to 4000kg.
We do travel heavy, two kids, sometimes dog, paddleboards plus up to 4 bikes hanging off the back.
Just returned from 3wks away in Scotland where the van struggled on the many single track undulating roads, suspension occasionally on the bumpstops.
Would be interested in how you rate your new system Bill&Helan.
Due to have mine fitted end of Oct, booked for semi air but may change to full.

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Thanks for replying, full rear air VB costs £4300.
Our van is mwb 6m 3500kg uplated to 4000kg.
We do travel heavy, two kids, sometimes dog, paddleboards plus up to 4 bikes hanging off the back.
Just returned from 3wks away in Scotland where the van struggled on the many single track undulating roads, suspension occasionally on the bumpstops.
Would be interested in how you rate your new system Bill&Helan.
Due to have mine fitted end of Oct, booked for semi air but may change to full.
We also have E&P levellers fitted, so the rear air will work with them, either automatically or with a bit of manual intervention. When they were fitted the guys mentioned that it really needed rear air given rear weight, spare wheel and underslung gas tank are also quite rear fitted, we are also on the bump stops, notice it on slopes and steep bends etc, rear mud flaps scraping on the ground etc. Will report back, but sure from previous experience that ride will be improved, loading easier and no grounding, great for on and off smaller ferries up here in Scotland!

Oh and Mick also does all the Mercedes ambulances, so a good recommendation.

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
I had full air on my old ambulance. Lovely ride and always at the right level despite load

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back