Vat relief for disabled People (1 Viewer)

Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
Due to her disabilities my wife uses a wheelchair and as such is entitled to purchase a suitably modified vehicle free of VAT once every three years.
We have always used a dealer who is organized enough to make this a pain free experience. IE. Elite Motorhomes of Banbury. They have always supplied us with a new Autotrail or Baily. However as you get older and your layout needs change, we need to buy an Elddis as the other two dont make a compatible lay out to suit our needs. The Question is! Does anyone know of an Elddis dealer who is prepared to enter into a vat free sale assuming the correct paper work is provided that is acceptable to HM Customs and excise.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Might be worth a call to Don Amott as they are stocking Elddis again this year.

We bought our AT from them as second owner (nearly new) that was originally sold by them, or so they told us, under a disability scheme VAT free. They removed the adaptations prior to selling on.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Humsafer
Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
Thanks for the replies, Don Amott is a no go . Just the same answer as all of them. Elddis couldnt help either. I am beginning to think its a case of discrimination.

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I would not think it’s discrimination, but basically money. Why would someone do unpaid extra work for nothing, when there is easier ways to get money. Unless it’s a legal requirement for them to sell to you I would say it’s just plain money.

Upvote 0

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Unless you are having substantial modifications to a standard model you are unlikely to be eligible for VAT relief. Government guidence on the subject is here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Due to her disabilities my wife uses a wheelchair and as such is entitled to purchase a suitably modified vehicle free of VAT once every three years.
We have always used a dealer who is organized enough to make this a pain free experience. IE. Elite Motorhomes of Banbury. They have always supplied us with a new Autotrail or Baily. However as you get older and your layout needs change, we need to buy an Elddis as the other two dont make a compatible lay out to suit our needs. The Question is! Does anyone know of an Elddis dealer who is prepared to enter into a vat free sale assuming the correct paper work is provided that is acceptable to HM Customs and excise.
If the vehicle has to have work on it for your needs, surely the other two could convert it to whatever the elddis offers.

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Good luck with your search, but your enquiry reminded me of a scam a few years back, where someone was fitting a clamp on steering wheel knob to some high end Range Rovers and selling them on to a registered disabled person VAT free, who then unscrewed the knob and sold them on again ? Obviously they will hopefully have tightened the rules since then, but some dealers won't budge beyond their comfort zone, or what they've done for years ?

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I don’t think it’s comfort zone. I bet your son does his work his way and would not want to be told how to do it that takes longer and for no extra reward. If people are happy doing what they are doing and it works why would they charge.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Unless you are having substantial modifications to a standard model you are unlikely to be eligible for VAT relief. Government guidence on the subject is here.
Correct. I think the OP was very fortunate to get VAT exemption on the vehicle. My m/h had to be adapted for my one-armed use. VAT exemption was applicable to the £2,200 cost of the adaptations but not on the m/h since the adaptations didn't prevent an able person from driving it and it could be restored for 'normal' use by removal of the adaptations.
Same with my car and two motorbikes. (Yes, motorbikes which are a challenge but hasn't stopped me riding to Southern Spain a few times and touring extensively in the rest of Europe).
Another interesting point is that under the Disability Discrimination Act insurers are not permitted to 'load' the premium to reflect any disability.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks for the replies, Don Amott is a no go . Just the same answer as all of them. Elddis couldnt help either. I am beginning to think its a case of discrimination.
That's a pity. I'm fairly certain our AT had a wheelchair \ or similar lift installed at the hab door. You can see where the bolt holes \ brackets were mounted.
......VAT exemption was applicable to the £2,200 cost of the adaptations but not on the m/h since the adaptations didn't prevent an able person from driving it and it could be restored for 'normal' use by removal of the adaptations.......
Maybe that's why they have an issue now? Or, incorrectly supplying previously.:unsure:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Another thought, can you buy one including VAT and then claim it back afterwards once you've had some mods done so you qualify?

Forget that ... rules changed in 2017:

2.2 How VAT relief works​

This is not a VAT refund system and there’s no facility for HMRC to refund VAT to you if you’re charged VAT incorrectly. If you’re entitled to buy VAT-free goods, your supplier should not charge you VAT.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back