VAT on new Motorhomes from abroad (1 Viewer)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I've been going through the various threads but can't be bothered to look any further, so excuse me if this has been answered somewhere before :rolleyes:.

Whats the situation regarding the VAT if you were to buy new from abroad and then use it without returning to the UK for, is it the first 6 months and 10K ? Would it be VAT exempt?

If I'm talking a load of b*ll**ks please forgive me :unsure:.

Dave

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
@davidandginny If you purchase new anywhere in the EU you pay VAT at the time of purchase, so I have been told by a motor dealer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
While I admire your optimism David... things you can rely upon in life is death and taxes!:LOL:

It's a non starter, you will have to pay it here or there..Far more practical to buy, register here and then go away...

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You have to pay all local taxes on purchase however these usually can be reclaimed if you were to permanently export outwith EU. Obviously, refund would not be appropriate for export to UK.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
How would you get on for insurance of the van? Would you be registering it abroad on foreign plates, rather than export plates? Are there any restrictions on doing this if you are a non-resident? Just questions. Sorry, I don't know the answers.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
I was really just wondering if it were possible...and hoping!

I was in the RAF stationed near Maastricht. It was possible to purchase a car tax free up to a year before repatriation to the UK, I'm not sure if it was just a military perk or not?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

I was in the RAF stationed near Maastricht. It was possible to purchase a car tax free up to a year before repatriation to the UK, I'm not sure if it was just a military perk or not?
Hi Dave,

The rules changed before I was repatriated from Cyprus, in that, you had to have owned and registered the vehicle in the country of origin for six months, and retain it for a year in the UK to have qualified for the duty free status. Brit civvies (DoE/PSA/MOD) were also afforded the same concession.

Now that we are all part of the EU, there isn't a duty free concession as such, however, taxes in the country of purchase within the EU, may well be lower than here in the UK.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Deleted User

Military perk I'm afraid :(
We bought Nige a car tax free when he was stationed in Germany. Guess had we known the future could have done same with a MH. :)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Yup - is the company in Swindon still there, that just bought virtually new vehicles which had been brought into the UK, from service and ex-service personnel, and sold them on?

They took a rare part exchange when they sold one such vehicle, then sold that on, on eBay and Pete bought it (a Citroen C5 diesel) at a VERY good price. It had well over 100k miles on the clock when it eventually popped its clogs.

Wish I could remember their name and see what they might have now ......

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
You pay VAT in the European country of purchase. The VAT rate is set by the individual country. UK does quite well out of it. Might be worth a trip to Switzerland to buy though :whistle:

Country of Purchase
VAT Standard Rate
Austria 20%
Belgium 21%
Croatia 25%
Czech Republic 21%
Denmark 25%
Estonia 20%
Finland 24%
France 20%
Germany 19%
Great Britain 20%
Greece 23%
Hungary 27%
Ireland 23%
Italy 22%
Latvia 21%
Lithuania 21%
Luxembourg 15%
Netherlands 21%
Norway 25%
Poland 23%
Portugal 23%
Romania 24%
Slovakia 20%
Slovenia 22%
Spain 21%
Sweden 25%
Switzerland 8%
Turkey 18%

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
We took our old Hymer in for service and MOT today at SMC Motorhomes in Newark. We had a quick browse, like you do and were a little surprised that they had a couple of LHD Frankia's. One in particular we liked. But the asking price is only about a grand less than a RHD from same dealer, 93k or about. Now would you seriously buy one from them?

Attachments

• 20151026_094709.jpg
    20151026_094709.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20151026_100921.jpg
    20151026_100921.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20151026_100936.jpg
    20151026_100936.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 22

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We took our old Hymer in for service and MOT today at SMC Motorhomes in Newark. We had a quick browse, like you do and were a little surprised that they had a couple of LHD Frankia's. One in particular we liked. But the asking price is only about a grand less than a RHD from same dealer, 93k or about. Now would you seriously buy one from them?

Ah come on its not all bad news with a Euro worth 0.79 to a £

I put a list of Frankia on the Frankia thread over the weekend...have a look

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think you have to export it from the EU to be able to claim back the VAT. When I lived in Kuwait I came back here and bought a PC which I claimed back the VAT on. It takes a form filled in by the retailer then signed at the airport in my case.

But I suspect you need an address overseas. I guess it is possible to buy a vehicle here and say export it to Australia but what exactly is the fine print I'm not sure. Perhaps if you rented a hut in Albania and lived there for six months that might work - but if it was easy everyone would do it. :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Help me out Eddie...looking but not finding!

Broken Link Removed

OK I have searched for A class from 2010. 74 vans on offer.. you can change search paramiters to new if you want They do some nice semi integrated T models on a Merc chassis as well

another list from 2014 vans

Broken Link Removed

A great time of year to grab a bargain and with so many available should be straightforward to knock down the advertised price

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Broken Link Removed

OK I have searched for A class from 2010. 74 vans on offer.. you can change search paramiters to new if you want They do some nice semi integrated T models on a Merc chassis as well

another list from 2014 vans

Broken Link Removed

A great time of year to grab a bargain and with so many available should be straightforward to knock down the advertised price

Thanks Eddie, food for contemplation whilst we're away for the Winter months :) This is almost certainly going to be the route that we follow. We both want another A Class, I like the drivers door being on the correct side along with the steering wheel so buying anywhere else other than from across the channel would seem to be foolhardy :).

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Dave,

It's a bit of a dealer myth that LHD MHs should be much cheaper than RHD models, as they are much sought after by those who spend much of their time touring mainland Europe. Go to a dealer in the UK with a LHD, and they will try to knock £0000s off the value, but selling privately will often provide a better result as you will attract a specific buyer, who is hoping to do some touring across the water.
Try part exchanging a RHD in mainland Europe, and they won't want to know. The biggest market is LHD in Europe, and with more choice and specifications. (Y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thanks Eddie, food for contemplation whilst we're away for the Winter months :) This is almost certainly going to be the route that we follow. We both want another A Class, I like the drivers door being on the correct side along with the steering wheel so buying anywhere else other than from across the channel would seem to be foolhardy :).

Once the sun comes out in the new year prices firm up... Ye who hesitate are lost...

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Just when I'm thinking about a new van, the old boy goes through his third MOT without as much as an advisory from the MOT tester :).

I have to laugh though, the service engineer picked up some cracks apparently, not seen it yet, on a couple of tyres! They were all replaced within the past year...is that possible?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ah come on its not all bad news with a Euro worth 0.79 to a £

I put a list of Frankia on the Frankia thread over the weekend...have a look
How much !! ??
I just bought mine and got them at 72.8p a go :)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Is VAT payable on a PRIVATE SALE in Europe, when it comes back? If so how much is claimed as taxable value. Assuming that it is older and more used than the 6000km 6 months break point.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just when I'm thinking about a new van, the old boy goes through his third MOT without as much as an advisory from the MOT tester :).

I have to laugh though, the service engineer picked up some cracks apparently, not seen it yet, on a couple of tyres! They were all replaced within the past year...is that possible?
Might have been old stock. Did you check the date code on the tyres before getting them fitted?

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sounds about right for example, Hymer charge €1500 extra for RHD on a new van.
No I wouldn't buy from them because I wouldn't buy from any UK dealer, can't afford to throw away 10 -20 grand.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back