VAT on imported Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
So, HMRC live chat reckon I can complete the NOVA form and pay VAT before the motorhome is physically in the UK.
Anyone done it this way ?
Any comments about foreseeable pitfalls ?
Tom

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I did not do it that way, but they may ask for the invoice, they did me and fortunately I had a PDF on my laptop from the dealer. But why would you want to, they do not take long to process the payment and you have the best part of a week whilst the VCA do their bit or is it RHD?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Like @sallylillian says, there’s no real benefit from paying the VAT before the vehicle arrives. Furthermore the application form asks for the importation date.
Once you’ve completed the form, you will be asked to submit your suppliers invoice. A few days later you will be given an assessment of the vat due. The whole process takes about a week.

The slooooooooooowest part of the process is dealing with DVLA, who have just taken 4 weeks to process my application. I’d allow 4-5 weeks.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
When i imported mine i thought of ding the VAT this way, to do this we needed the final invoice and to get this we had to pay for the van in full before actually seeing it. I decided to do after the van was in the UK.

OP
OP
Tigertom
Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
My supplier wants the VAT paying separately so he can refund it to me when proof of VAT payment in the UK is presented. I lose out paying in Euros and lose out with conversion back to Sterling .
He won’t use any other method .
So I will make full payment to him minus VAT and then send a copy of payment to NOVA , They will issue me with the VAT bill which I will pay.
Then I can send a copy of VAT payment to my supplier and I can collect the vehicle.
Will it work?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
If your supplier does not charge you VAT and you import the vehicle and don't send him the paperwork he is screwed and will have to pay the Vat himself. He has never meet you and he only has your word for it that you are going to import it into the Uk and pay the tax. You will get the VAT back but it's going to cost you changing it both ways. Not a lot you can do really.

Reading the Gov.Uk website it would appear that you have to have an invoice showing the full amount paid. This would include the VAT that you have paid. Wonder how they work out the VAT.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
If your supplier does not charge you VAT and you import the vehicle and don't send him the paperwork he is screwed and will have to pay the Vat himself. He has never meet you and he only has your word for it that you are going to import it into the Uk and pay the tax. You will get the VAT back but it's going to cost you changing it both ways. Not a lot you can do really.

Reading the Gov.Uk website it would appear that you have to have an invoice showing the full amount paid. This would include the VAT that you have paid. Wonder how they work out the VAT.
It does not matter if the invoice is vat included or zero rated as indeed mine was, HMRC are only interested in the VAT exclusive figure.. You are correct the dealer needs to have faith in the purchaser to provide a zero rated invoice.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I lose out paying in Euros and lose out with conversion back to Sterling
Surely you won't lose that much. You may even gain, if the exchange rate which HMRC use is more favourable than the one which you originally got. This happened to us with the first van we bought abroad. We were probably about £100 in pocket, as a result of the transaction - a minimal amount on the total cost of your van.
Are you paying for your van via an FX company? If so, the cost of changing your money should be low.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Just yesterday Gus, which is 4 weeks since posting the docs
I’m still waiting for the V5 to appear
Might have been affected as I am using a personal reg number.
Glad to hear you've got it through. Ours took about 4 weeks as well. I'm sure V5 will not be long (y).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Eddie (the late Judgemental) paid the vat on his last import before collecting but as others have said not much point.
HMRC base exchange rate on 3 monthly average we gained last time. If you are not happy with the rate you can challenge it and get the on the day rate.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I paid less vat than I expected to when I imported my Van. HMRC charged me a more beneficial rate than the spot rate on the day of import. I didn't know why, but I wasn't complaining. @Lenny HB has explained it.

VAT was paid via the NOVA process within 48 hrs of import in my case

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back