Varta Silver batteries (F18) for leisure use? (1 Viewer)

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Been a while since I've looked at batteries, but after finding my leisure batteries flat for the 2nd time (1.7v!) I think I should swap them. Have been using the Elecsol ones....

Anyway, the vehicle battery (Transit) is a Varta Silver F18 Broken Link Removed

I'm sure someone recommended them for leisure use as well - any first hand experience?

+ point: (a) 2x will fit where I want them; (b) they are the same as the vehicle battery so the alternator charging will be charging identical batteries; (c) good price; (d) I'm sure someone said they were good!
- point: I want one with LH+ and one with RH+ :(

Any first hand experiences or recommendation would be good, as long as they would charge in coexistence with an F18 anyway.

Thanks!

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Thanks
I've read that before but lost the link, may have been where I first heard. So they say yes.

Before I order, any other views from the real world?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi these are £10 cheaper and 25 amp hrs bigger -next day delivery -very pleased with them -bought 2 last yr and used 3 this yr
Broken Link Removed
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi again having just read the link there could well be something in it --only this morning I was talking to a couple of mates and we were on about batteries and quite by chance I was saying that every Ambulance and gov vehicle that I saw always just had big starter batts in place and they never bothered with L/Bs -it came about after them showing me a rather large batt that came out of the Dipping unit that I have just bought all the stuff out of -so maybe they know something we don't (y);)
I know when I converted the Ambulance I used the big starter type battery for around 3 yrs before it died-no idea how old it was before I got it but it certainly worked as a LB (y):D
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Two 100 Ah Banner leisure batteries will fit under your passenger seat.

The batteries you mention use silver calcium grids to support the plate material. This is to facilitate rapid charging and discharging in vehicles with stop-start systems.
It doesnt mean they are any good for deep discharge cycles.
I'd put the Banners in. They do a low profile 100AH battery which fits snugly singulaly or in pairs under your Transit seat.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Again just looked at your link and it's from the same place -battery megastore (y) no complaints from me --on the one occasion they did not have one in stock they kept me well informed of status and new delivery date by both phone and email -top marks for them (y) pity all company's are not the same :)
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back