Various warning messages (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 2013
Hi
We have had a Swift Bolero 62 plate for 3 years.
It is well used ie Nc500 and 1500 miles around England this summer and every weekend we get a chance. Halfway through our holiday in August when I was starting the engine it seemed to struggle before it kicked in. On the dashboard it said "check power steering" this happened several times times. Near the end of our trip the starter issue happened again and this time it said" check engine" and the engine management light stayed on.
We have taken it back to where we bought it as it has an extended warranty and they are saying it's the battery (which we had changed this time last year) and the engine management light is on because it "needs a good run so the particulate filter keeps clear. We have done 10,000 miles plus in 3 years despite lock down and to be honest I don't spare the horses when driving her.
I am totally confused by their advice

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Cheers

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Not a very helpful dealer.
You could try taking it for a 60 minute motorway journey keeping the revs high.
That should clear the dpf, if that's the problem, but not very eco friendly.
Rather wasteful really ☹️

BTW. w2f

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi and :welcome4:

Don't think much of that dealer, but probably not a proper servicing garage?

You need to get a diagnostic check before doing anything else. You can buy readers very reasonably to do the job yourself - someone will be along shortly to recommend a good buy. Armed with the readings you/we/a proper garage can be a bit more specific. Without the info we'd just be guessing in the dark, so many things it could be. Best IMO would be a Fiat Professional Commercial Service Centre, they aren't cheap but they have all the correct analysis gizmos. Have you tried wherever it is you've had it serviced over the past 3 years?

OP
OP
B
Oct 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 2013
Thanks for your reply but like I said earlier we have regularly done loads of motorway miles right up to the point of the light coming on.
I actually drive a Transit van for my job and as it is only local repairs I carry out my 'clear filter warning light' comes at least once a fortnight, so I have to jump on the motorway for about 30 minutes doing 70 in 4th gear to vlear it 🙄
It has never been an issue with the Bolero until now 🤔

OP
OP
B
Oct 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 2013
The garage that fitted the battery last year service and MOT it so we will be taking it there once we collect it from the dealers as the MOT is due. These people can't sell you a motorhome and warranty quick enough but hide behind the sofa when there is an issue it seems

OP
OP
B
Oct 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 2013
We so have a couple of issues with the habitation side but that's another story 🙄

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Eco the plug that goes on the end of the common rail for corrosion. Seen it on three vans.

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
Hi
It is well used ie Nc500 and 1500 miles around England this summer and every weekend we get a chance. Halfway through our holiday in August when I was starting the engine it seemed to struggle before it kicked in. On the dashboard it said "check power steering" this happened several times times. Near the end of our trip the starter issue happened again and this time it said" check engine" and the engine management light stayed on.
We have taken it back to where we bought it as it has an extended warranty and they are saying it's the battery (which we had changed this time last year) and the engine management light is on because it "needs a good run so the particulate filter keeps clear. We have done 10,000 miles plus in 3 years despite lock down and to be honest I don't spare the horses when driving her.

Cheers
Isn’t the engine management light different from warning about DPF? One tip I was given by a master technician was to try not to let the tank go below a quarter full as particulate clearing process involves burning off fuel. It doesn’t kick in if fuel tank less than quarter full, this was specific to VW but guessing similar system employed by all. I had no problems thereafter with dpf warning light coming on which previously used to frustrate the shit out if me having to take car for a high speed run to clear it!

Apr 1, 2018
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
A/S Corinium RB
If you’ve got a decent breakdown cover they could attend and find out why the engine management light is on. I know The AA will, and there’s no charge

Dec 31, 2020
Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo ti 680
Exp
I used to have same problem on citreon relay van when I took it to citreon dealer they gave me the same answer particle filter and to take it on our local parkway and run it in third gear at max revs and it worked to my surprise
Now whenever the management light stays on I take the van for a little drive job done

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Best to get hold of an OBD reader ,there was one in Aldi around £12. May give you some clue as to what is wrong.on my car the engine management light was on due to wonky oxygen sensors on the exhaust and cleared when I put new ones on . Appreciate it was a car not a MH but without the OBD reader I wouldn't have known what the issue was

Nov 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2015
Hi yes I had Fiat ducato ecu engine warning light come on and engine went into limp mode and auto stop start disabled when I called out the AA he said it was the engine battery low voltage ,at the time the vehicle was new and only done 400 miles . I had stopped and started the engine several times in succession and that had caused the problem! Charged the battery and it resolved the problem and it’s never returned since .
Hope that helps and good luck

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Isn’t the engine management light different from warning about DPF? One tip I was given by a master technician was to try not to let the tank go below a quarter full as particulate clearing process involves burning off fuel. It doesn’t kick in if fuel tank less than quarter full, this was specific to VW but guessing similar system employed by all. I had no problems thereafter with dpf warning light coming on which previously used to frustrate the shit out if me having to take car for a high speed run to clear it!
I'd heard that from transit van forums too.

Nov 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2015
I'd heard that from transit van forums too.
Yes I think it is different but just thought how bibbers was advised battery problem and just show’s how low battery can adversely effect engine performance

P Jones

Free Member
Apr 15, 2017
Retford
Funster No
MH
ci carioca 694
Exp
Hi

Cheers
i put redex derv. in my fuel. seems to run smoother. half a bottle to a full tank. ok.pj

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
You have my sympathy as my van (Peugeot Boxer) broke down whilst heading for the tunnel and the PDF was/is the culprit as diagnosed by the RAC. Nothing more frightening than a van going into limp mode when you are in lane 3 on the M6! Any attempt to ‘Rev the guts’ out of it have failed to resolve the problem and the van has been recovered and now sits at my local mechanic waiting for them to have the chance to take a look. Another problem - presumably linked, is that the 20amp fuse in the engine bay has blown and when replaced it blew again.
I’m expecting a hefty bill!!
Hope you have better luck Bibbers 🤞

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
My Fiat spent most of its first year at the garage, trying to clear messages like that. The garage had to perform changes and report back to Fiat (who seemed not to have a clue) and await further instructions. It became radical and all sorts of components were changed before they finally stopped appearing. Fiat may be good mechanically, but their electronics leave a lot to be desired.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back