Aug 15, 2015
Cheddar, Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner i640G
Exp
We are new to motorhomes!
Hi all,

I am looking for insurance for the MH that we collect next week (whoopee!)

I am really surprised at the variability in the quotes that I am getting. It will be in my name. I don't have any no claims bonus in my name because I have always had a company car. I DO have another car insured but only recently.

Some folks offer various discounts at the outset, some will offer them when pressed. For example, CaravanGuard (with whom I am so far impressed) whacked everything inand came up with £340 including European and UK breakdown cover.
Safeguard have just quoted me £985 for essentially the same excess, cover etc. When I could talk again after he told me I told him we were miles away and he said there were discounts that could be applied etc. I gave up because I couldn't see 60% odd being forthcoming.

We will see what tomorrow brings, its the day I have set aside to sort this out once and for all!

OP
OP
oaktree11

oaktree11

Free Member
Aug 15, 2015
Cheddar, Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner i640G
Exp
As a PS to the above post, the guy at SafeGuard did volunteer that they have a sister company (both owned by Swinton?) called Scenic Insurance who may be more competitive

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Try NFU mutual

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I'm surprised at your Safeguard quote, seems very high.

We've changed between Safeguard and comfort various times.

Comfort do online quote. Our currently is about £350 (safeguard was £400) both including European breakdown etc.

OP
OP
oaktree11

oaktree11

Free Member
Aug 15, 2015
Cheddar, Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner i640G
Exp
One of the big issues with SafeGuard seems to be my zero no claims, it makes a big difference to them apparently - but not to others obviously...

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Ive been with Caravan Guard for a number of years and £340 is a competitive price. About £80 of that is for breakdown insurance. The European breakdown is optional which would reduce it by about £40 to £50. When you take out motorhome insurance for the first time they usually mirror your car insurance NCB. Price is also based on annual millage so make sure that is correct.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Spent days doing the same over the years and always go back with Caravan Guard. Lots of info on here re different firms, who seem to be the 'bees knees' one year and then pffffft :LOL:

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
I like you had no insurance history as I drove company vehicles. If you have an accident free company car history, (5years) get a letter from your company stating this, I did and got NCD from the off.

You can reduce your premium by increasing your excess, reducing your annual mileage, member of a club, parking sensors or camera, immobiliser also helps thatcham cat 1.

Check you are getting the same cover, overseas, legal cover, etc. I have safeguard as they offer unlimited value windscreen cover. £1000 max may not cover it as some offer, or personal effects

One of the biggest differences I found was some policies do not accrue NCD. They are stand alone offers, take one of these and you will either gain none or loose your NCD making it just as difficult next year

It really is a minefield

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back