Vans with French Beds? but not over 6m. (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The price of the one in Ireland may be right, but if you look at the £ price compared to the € price something's amiss ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
The price of the one in Ireland may be right, but if you look at the £ price compared to the € price something's amiss ...
Agreed, there is something odd going on there. But it's not the only one - there's another Dreamer (D43) on the Thompson website that has a huge difference from the Euro price.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I wonder if the one in Ireland is a cancelled order so they need to clear it to get their wonga back, after all no point in having all the money tied up in a vehicle if you don't need to and sales in Ireland won't be so frequent as they are in the UK, especially from Highbridge who are a very well thought of company (I've bought from them in the past despite them being 250 miles away and they are very good).

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
I wonder if the one in Ireland is a cancelled order so they need to clear it to get their wonga back, after all no point in having all the money tied up in a vehicle if you don't need to and sales in Ireland won't be so frequent as they are in the UK, especially from Highbridge who are a very well thought of company (I've bought from them in the past despite them being 250 miles away and they are very good).
I agree, you could well be right about a cancelled order.

And I agree that on the whole, Highbridge are very good - just their stock vans tend to be fully loaded, and hence pricey.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Highbridge had a LA Strada 2010. Model for sale due a couple of weeks ago, I enquired and the salesman said it was due in but is not coming in now, its been involved in an accident.

He said if they ever get another they would contact me.

Looked on yesterday and the 2010 model is now for sale, something not right there, no call either.

Very strange goings on.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Highbridge had a LA Strada 2010. Model for sale due a couple of weeks ago, I enquired and the salesman said it was due in but is not coming in now, its been involved in an accident.

He said if they ever get another they would contact me.

Looked on yesterday and the 2010 model is now for sale, something not right there, no call either.

Very strange goings on.
Very strange I agree. Might be worth another call if you are interested.

OP
OP
Mark12
Apr 7, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
Since 2012
Found one closer to your budget - same van - new - with upgraded heating £34,995:

<Broken link removed>

But the dealer is in County Down, N Ireland

Heck of a difference in price.

Well, that's certainly sparked a few responses Mike, thanks for the info. an interesting little van. Doesn't look like there will be much storage under that bed and the bed looks a little on the small side, wonder where the gas locker is, if it's under the bed with the boiler then there won't be lot's of storage.
I think the clue is in the name really 'Fun'. I should think it'll be fun for the weekend but we usually go for months at a time.
Interesting price though eh! air con and cruise control and a combi 6 all at that price, not bad at all.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Well, that's certainly sparked a few responses Mike, thanks for the info. an interesting little van. Doesn't look like there will be much storage under that bed and the bed looks a little on the small side, wonder where the gas locker is, if it's under the bed with the boiler then there won't be lot's of storage.
I think the clue is in the name really 'Fun'. I should think it'll be fun for the weekend but we usually go for months at a time.
Interesting price though eh! air con and cruise control and a combi 6 all at that price, not bad at all.
In fact there is quite a decent amount of storage under the bed - if you look carefully at the image in the online Dreamer brochure, you can see two large cupboards there. The boiler will be under the dinette at the front like ours, and I can see the gas locker is also in the same place as on our van, which is right at the very back under the bed on the UK nearside - the wooden panel you can see is the door.

http://www.dreamer-van.co.uk/fourgon-dreamer-d42.php

http://www.dreamer-van.co.uk/fourgon-caracteristiques-techniques_dreamer.php

Surprisingly, the bathroom is, I think, bigger than ours - but you're right - the width of the bed is a tad on the cosy side for a double at 120cm, although you get a couple of centimtres more in practical terms because of the shape of the van along the side of the bed. The length, unless you're very tall, is OK at 190cm.

I was surprised how relatively spacious the van felt inside, given its external dimensions - in fact I thought I was in a 6m van! But we wanted to escape the 'French bed' design and have twins instead that finally ruled it out for us.

Oh and 'Fun' is just the new branding that has been introduced in 2017 for the entry-level Dreamers, the more expensive ones have been branded 'Select' for some time. Personally I rather preferred the more modern decor of the 'Fun' models, rather than the slightly country-cottage 'Select'.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
What's your opinion of the narrower 6m coach builds like for instance the Adria Compact which is only 2.14 wide? (which is only 90mm more than the panel vans. so that's only 45mm (less than 2") per side and the mirrors don't look too big)

Saw the Adria Compact with a rear slide-out at La Grande Fête de Camping Cars in Périgueux at the week-end. It is a little longer than the 6m you are asking about, though. Sorry, but didn't get a piccy of the interior, but should be available on their web site.

upload_2017-5-22_23-13-59.jpeg

OP
OP
Mark12
Apr 7, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
Since 2012
In fact there is quite a decent amount of storage under the bed - if you look carefully at the image in the online Dreamer brochure, you can see two large cupboards there. The boiler will be under the dinette at the front like ours, and I can see the gas locker is also in the same place as on our van, which is right at the very back under the bed on the UK nearside - the wooden panel you can see is the door.

http://www.dreamer-van.co.uk/fourgon-dreamer-d42.php

http://www.dreamer-van.co.uk/fourgon-caracteristiques-techniques_dreamer.php

Surprisingly, the bathroom is, I think, bigger than ours - but you're right - the width of the bed is a tad on the cosy side for a double at 120cm, although you get a couple of centimtres more in practical terms because of the shape of the van along the side of the bed. The length, unless you're very tall, is OK at 190cm.

I was surprised how relatively spacious the van felt inside, given its external dimensions - in fact I thought I was in a 6m van! But we wanted to escape the 'French bed' design and have twins instead that finally ruled it out for us.

Oh and 'Fun' is just the new branding that has been introduced in 2017 for the entry-level Dreamers, the more expensive ones have been branded 'Select' for some time. Personally I rather preferred the more modern decor of the 'Fun' models, rather than the slightly country-cottage 'Select'.

Yes, they've squeezed a lot into a small van there. Thanks for all the info Mike.

OP
OP
Mark12
Apr 7, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
Since 2012
Saw the Adria Compact with a rear slide-out at La Grande Fête de Camping Cars in Périgueux at the week-end. It is a little longer than the 6m you are asking about, though. Sorry, but didn't get a piccy of the interior, but should be available on their web site.

View attachment 164411

Well, that's quite swanky isn't it? Guessing it's over my budget lol. Cheers.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, they've squeezed a lot into a small van there. Thanks for all the info Mike.
I suspect an inch or two might have been trimmed off the dinette area to make sufficient space for everything to fit in.

Oh and one detail where the Thompson Leisure listing is incorrect concerns the fridge - it indicates it is a 'three-way' and can be powered by gas. It can't because it is a compressor fridge, rather than absorption - check all the external images of the Dreamer and you can see there are no fridge vents, which would be required for gas. So it runs on 12 volts, and, effectively, 230 volts mains when on hook-up. There are pros and cons for both types of fridge.

Oh and although all the Dreamer / Rapido PVCs in the series suggest they are 2+1 berth, the reality is the third berth is a total pain to assemble (and store when not in use) - so really best for just two people.

OP
OP
Mark12
Apr 7, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
Since 2012
Right then, thanks everyone for all the helpful advice, suggestions and opinions.
We made a decision at last and got a new van! ( not new new!, just new to us)

It's an Adria compact SP. 5.99m x 2.12m. :drinks:

As said, we didn't want to go over 6m in length and following advice here we wanted to stay on the narrow side, also as said, we fancied trying a coach built for the winter so that's those boxes ticked.

It's all about compromises choosing the right van, when we looked at what luggage we have, we decided we really should have a garage. (seemingly not possible with a french bed).
Amongst other stuff, on our next trip we want to take an inflatable canoe, buoyancy vests, paddles and pump.
Walking boots, poles and rucksacks.
Rock climbing equipment with ropes helmets harnesses and climbing shoes.
Folding chairs and table and all the usual m'home stuff.
In the winter there will be snow boots, shovel, chains, snow shoes, ski boots. Skis.

When we looked at the french bed vans we had to admit there just isn't enough storage.
With some hands-on investigation we decided we could manage the transverse bed in the Adria with it's big steps and floor to ceiling handrail. A compromise for the sake of getting the huge garage.

We also would have liked an auto gearbox again, but these vans were never available with auto so we will have to put up and shut up on that one. Adria technical specifications never listed automatic transmission as an option, you can now, but we can't afford new. We did however find a van with a semi auto clutch, be interesting to see how we get on with that one.

Other stuff we like:
The fixed transverse bed does not have a window at the head end of the bed, instead it has padded headboard and overhead reading lamps, brill, I like to sit up in bed reading with cup of tea etc. And possibly watch a bit of TV seeing as it's equipped with satellite. (You wouldn't put your bed and pillows up against the window blinds at home would so why do m'home manufacturers think that's a good idea. our Autosleeper had this problem and the expensive seitz concertina blinds were made of paper, easily damaged with pillows!

The shower has a proper screen with no clingy curtain! Never really thought it would matter but having stood inside it and realised how big it is I'm impressed and will be handy for hanging up dripping wet goretex jackets and leggings after big walkies, whilst still leaving room to use the loo.
(Unfortunately the original owner did not specify a rooflight for the bathroom and I reckon it should have one because there is no window. I think I will need to cut the roof and fit one, any advice welcome. I reckon I could do it myself)

I like that the gas locker is external. In the event of any leaky hose connections they hopefully won't affect the sleeping area. We had this problem one time after a lot of bumpy tracks. Soon sorted out with spanner but leaves you wanting an external locker lol! I've since bought a very sensitive electronic hand held gas detector/ sniffer, excellent piece of kit, saves squirting gas leak fluid all over the place and looking for tiny bubbles with mirror, torch and best reading glasses.
Also it'll be easier to fit a refillable gaslow (or similar) system with an external filler point in the locker door.

On board fresh water tank, won't freeze.
Good levels of insulation.
Heating isn't diesel, looking forward to having gas/electric Truma.
Don't have to open the rear door to put away the table and folding chairs in the rain exposing the bed to the elements.

It's got no oven which is ok, we never have used one whilst away and would rather have the cupboard space. Also means we haven't paid for something we aren't using.

It's got aircon. If not we definitely wouldn't have bought it!

It hasn't got cruise control and I'm sad about that! difficult to tick all the boxes.

We pick it up next week and I have to say we are well excited!!!
Now trying to decide where to go in it, might do an Irish or Scottish trip for a change! or both? :cycle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It hasn't got cruise control and I'm sad about that! difficult to tick all the boxes.
Have a trip to Dave Newell at Telford as he can retro-fit cruise for you ... it's a better bit of kit than the Fiat offering anyway!

OP
OP
Mark12
Apr 7, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
Since 2012
Have a trip to Dave Newell at Telford as he can retro-fit cruise for you ... it's a better bit of kit than the Fiat offering anyway!

Hi Mel,
big thanks for that piece of advice, I didn't realise you could retro fit c/c.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
@Mark12 Pleased you got there in the end and it sounds like you've pretty much ticked all the boxes.

Bet you can't wait to get out into the mountains (y)

Susisue

Free Member
Apr 15, 2021
Churchover, Rugby, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
Only camping under canvas - up till now!
I have found reading this thread very interesting. Thank you for posting what you ended up buying. I am interested on reflection if anything was a compromise too far?

OP
OP
Mark12
Apr 7, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Susisue, no is the short answer. We love everything about the van. We thought the lack of french bed might prove to be a compromise too far but we are managing fine, mainly because of the floor to ceiling bar which gives such a good grab handle when climbing into bed and more crucially climbing out of it in the dead of night, no falls yet! Since owning it we have done a 10wk trip around Scotland, a 3month trip around France and a 3month trip around Spain as well as all the usual short trips. Having a huge garage has been fantastic. We enjoy being away in this van so much we never want to come home at the end of a trip.

Susisue

Free Member
Apr 15, 2021
Churchover, Rugby, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
Only camping under canvas - up till now!
Thanks for taking the time to reply Mark. I am going out tomorrow to view a couple of motorhomes on my list. Hymer Van 374 and Hymer Van S520. I have rules out a transverse bed because of the necessity to ‘climb over’. Your travels mirror my mine and my husband’s hopes exactly so I can see me wanting to pick your brains further on that. Thanks again for insightful and interesting posts. Best. Sue

OP
OP
Mark12
Apr 7, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
Since 2012
The hymer vans look nice, (I googled them to see) longitudinal beds and not over 6m. So you would get a big garage and easy access beds. Hope the viewing went ok.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back