Vans with French Beds? but not over 6m. (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Mark12
Apr 7, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
Since 2012
Have a look out for a Chausson Flash S2, manufactured in 2010 and 2011. We had one from new for five years and thought it was a cracking van - just like a 'tardis' inside. 5.99m long, huge bathroom/shower across the back and great storage. Fixed French bed had a very clever twist - the foot of the bed folded up to become the dinette backrest! Bedding just folded over in one second and the backrest lifted and adjusted to any angle (like a cab seat) in 2 seconds!! (y) Travelled over much of the Continent in it. Should be well within your budget now if you can find one.

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/m...hausson-flash-s2-2011-motorhome-review/898948

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/m...hausson-flash-s2-2010-motorhome-review/899158

Just google for more images.

We had a Rapido 709F before that, which was indeed good but bijou.

Now have a 6.36m panel van conversion with fixed twin single beds in the back - Rapido V68.

Thanks Mike, lots to look at there, been googling to look at these. Couldn't live with a drop down. Puts the lounge diner out of action if one of us wants a siesta or a lie in.

Also those ones are above my budget I think.
like the 741f Rapido, might be a tad long, restricted on space backing in off our road into narrow gap between stone walling. 6m might be our max. Have to say it looks great, love the quality woodwork, the older rapidos seem well built.

OP
OP
Mark12
Apr 7, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
Since 2012
As @mikebeaches says, it's the width that will cause you mor issues than a little bit extra length, one of the reasons we down 'widthed' when we got our first PVC back in 2012, 6m long but only 2.05 wide, after having a 6m but 2.3m wide coachbuilt it was much more relaxing driving for my hubby and also for being able to get to places that the wider one would NOT have gone. Now we've still got a PVC but slightly longer at 6.36m, the extra foot of length hasn't made much difference other than we have a longer wheelbase so a slightly larger turning circle, the width is the same so we've been able to get to all those lovely little out of the way places that a standard width coachbuilt would haven't been able to.

I'd have a serious think about exactly HOW you want to use it first as this will determine how 'wide' you can realistically go and still do what you want ... there are French bed PVCs in 6m and 6.36m lengths made by various manufacturers so there is still some choice.

I had been looking at PVC's like a twin or globecar for the narrower width, as you say, only 2.05, it's an attractive feature. But I'm thinking I'll maybe have better insulation with a coachbuilt for spending time at alpine ski resorts. I'd like to go away a lot more in the winter to cold places. So I looked at compacts that are only 2.15 wide and that's not a lot wider than a PVC but I can't seem to find an easy access bed, hence the idea of French bed and that seems to make it a tad wider. Not easy is it. Generally speaking we'll be spending several months at a time in the van and the bed needs to be easy to use. I haven't seen a french bed in a Panel Van yet, have you seen one?
Mind you, I'm not easily convinced a PVC will be as warm, the insulation in coach built is twice as thick at least.

OP
OP
Mark12
Apr 7, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
Since 2012
These ones don't have the French bed just the drop down. I think the lounge would be very small with a French bed in a 6m van. The drop down goes all the way down. However even though we loved the layout the bed was temperamental. We have a 7 m van with a French bed and large lounge. We don't notice the extra metre when driving or parking.

Thanks for all the info Spidey, I think I could live happily in a 7m but I doubt there's enough road width where we are to reverse turn off it into the narrow opening with cars permanently parked opposite the opening. I think it'll be very tight with a 6m van. (and I used to drive HGV in the Fire Service) The van we just sold was 5m and I had to be careful not to clip the rear end lol, it'll take a deal of effort to get a bigger van in, also OH wouldn't like driving it.
The 6 metre vans with french beds look big enough really, well especially after the last van and we don't need a big lounge, haha well we can't have one can we.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mark12
Apr 7, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
Since 2012
In many respects it is the width of van rather than length that determines how easy it is to negotiate small villages and narrow lanes. A standard width coachbuilt is typically about 230cm wide (it is possible to get narrower ones these days), whereas a Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen van conversion is 205cm, so a foot narrower - it makes a big difference, in my opinion! Not to mention the long-arm rear-view mirrors which provide good visibility, but stick out so far beyond the bodywork. We 'managed' OK with the width of our coachbuilt, but find driving much more enjoyable and relaxing now we have PVC, even though it is a tad longer than the old van.

Thanks Mike this really is food for thought. I'm getting fairly strong messages about the width on this thread and I need to think long and hard about it. You say it was the difference between managing ok versus being relaxed and enjoying the driving. We've always split the driving down the middle and really enjoyed the driving aspect of our long tours. Our last trip was over 7,000 miles long and fun to drive in our vw with auto.

What's your opinion of the narrower 6m coach builds like for instance the Adria Compact which is only 2.14 wide? (which is only 90mm more than the panel vans. so that's only 45mm (less than 2") per side and the mirrors don't look too big)

So many compromises involved! I'm trying to narrow it down. Both you and Minxy Girl have got me thinking harder about width thanks.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
My wife and I share the driving and we both prefer the narrower body of the panel van. We also have an automatic gearbox - Comfortmatic (so semi-automatic) which makes it relaxing when travelling.

On the continent, we feel comfortable driving at 70 mph or above on the motorway, whereas in our coachbuilt we tended to stay at 60 mph (possibly 65) when we wanted to press on. The PVC feels more sure-footed to me - think 'white van man'. Both vans have the standard 130hp engine.

We like being able to throw the side door, and even the back doors, open when it's hot, bringing the outside in.

We haven't suffered any problems with the cold and the van seems reasonably well insulated - we do have a Truma 6 dual-fuel heater, however.

And we hope that water ingress shouldn't present any issues over the longer term with all steel construction.

Having said all of that, the narrower-bodied coachbuilts do look pretty good and - from our perspective - better than a full-width coachbuilt!

But after owning two coachbuilts we were ready for something different and our current van fits the bill really well for us. We've had to get used to living in a narrower space and having a slightly smaller bathroom, which were compromises worth making. But we do have a 135 litre fridge, which is a real bonus.

Decisions, decisions...

OP
OP
Mark12
Apr 7, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
Since 2012
But after owning two coachbuilts we were ready for something different and our current van fits the bill really well for us. We've had to get used to living in a narrower space and having a slightly smaller bathroom, which were compromises worth making. But we do have a 135 litre fridge, which is a real bonus.

Decisions, decisions...

Haha yes, decisions indeed! we all seem to make our compromises in different areas don't we! Your Rapido looks nice and yes that 's a big old fridge you've got there! The beds make your van look so user friendly!
There is a similar bed layout in the Adria compact if you choose the SL version, would still only be 2.12 wide but maybe a bit long for us at 6.3
I wonder if those narrower CB's are any more sure footed.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
But we do have a 135 litre fridge, which is a real bonus.

Decisions, decisions...
If you keep mentioning your bl**dy big fridge I'm gonna turn you into an ice-pop!!!!!! :mad:

SERIOUS fridge envy is NO joke you know! :cry:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What's your opinion of the narrower 6m coach builds like for instance the Adria Compact which is only 2.14 wide? (which is only 90mm more than the panel vans. so that's only 45mm (less than 2") per side and the mirrors don't look too big)

So many compromises involved! I'm trying to narrow it down. Both you and Minxy Girl have got me thinking harder about width thanks.

Mike has pretty much summed up how we also 'feel' about our PVC and why we love it.

Funnily enough we came back to the UK today (blooming cold:confused: after 34 degrees the other day in France!) ... and broke our journey at Brownstuff, Newark, so had a potter round to stretch our legs ... we spotted some Adria compacts so had a nosy as you do and on the 'outside' they looked good as they've totally taken on board the wish for narrower bodies but on the inside they've used the same size of furniture, ie the bathroom sticks out way toooooo much into the corridor behind the kitchen unit so makes it very cramped and we found it very claustrophobic, much more than our PVC conversion!

As for PVCs with French beds, 2 immediately come to mind, the Autocruise Alto (original version at 6m) and an Adria version, can't remember what it was called though or the exact length. I think there are others too.

Our PVC does exactly what we want ... it gets us to places we WANT to go rather than only to places it will ALLOW us to go ... narrow lanes, little beautiful beaches which no coachbuilt would ever be able to get to due to their width (not if you want it to still have sides afterwards! :ROFLMAO:).

We've used PVCs in below zero temperatures without a problem - they may not be quite so well insulated as a coachbuilt but we've found they heat up much quicker and stay that way very well so the demand to have the heating on is less, therefore less energy usage which means you can stay for longer!:)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I haven't seen a french bed in a Panel Van yet, have you seen one?
Globecar/Possl used to do one, but I think they may have dropped it. It is/was called the Globecar Campscout FR. You would be looking around 2012/13/14 - it was still shown in the 2014 brochure. I had a look at one back in 2013 - nice van but wrong bed for us. We went for the standard Campscout.

The heating dial on the Truma goes up to 5. I've never had it above 3 1/2 in the depth of an English winter with snow & ice on the ground outside - at which point I was both warm & naked on the inside. :)

When considering manoeuvring into a narrow entrance at right angles to the road, remember that the width will also be a factor in the space you need. You will need to get the wider coachbuilt straighter earlier that a narrower PVC. We have the same problem. I can just get in with the 6.34m PVC but I think I'd struggle with a 6m coachbuilt because of the width.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I have the Autocruise Alto as mentioned by @Minxy Girl and love it. I have previously owned coachbuilt MH's (Hymer and Autotrail) but much prefer my PVC. Mine is a 2013 model so is just 6 meters long- later models are on the xl chassis. I am more than happy with the heating system but admit I have only used in the Uk - it is too hot for me on anything over setting 2! However the fridge will be a compromise for you!!
Have you considered having a van converted to your requirements. See Ralph and Bev's blog re the van they converted - especially around the insulation issue. Funster Terry is the man to speak to if this is something you want to pursue.

OP
OP
Mark12
Apr 7, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
Since 2012
Mike has pretty much summed up how we also 'feel' about our PVC and why we love it.

Funnily enough we came back to the UK today (blooming cold:confused: after 34 degrees the other day in France!) ... and broke our journey at Brownstuff, Newark, so had a potter round to stretch our legs ... we spotted some Adria compacts so had a nosy as you do and on the 'outside' they looked good as they've totally taken on board the wish for narrower bodies but on the inside they've used the same size of furniture, ie the bathroom sticks out way toooooo much into the corridor behind the kitchen unit so makes it very cramped and we found it very claustrophobic, much more than our PVC conversion!

As for PVCs with French beds, 2 immediately come to mind, the Autocruise Alto (original version at 6m) and an Adria version, can't remember what it was called though or the exact length. I think there are others too.

Our PVC does exactly what we want ... it gets us to places we WANT to go rather than only to places it will ALLOW us to go ... narrow lanes, little beautiful beaches which no coachbuilt would ever be able to get to due to their width (not if you want it to still have sides afterwards! :ROFLMAO:).

We've used PVCs in below zero temperatures without a problem - they may not be quite so well insulated as a coachbuilt but we've found they heat up much quicker and stay that way very well so the demand to have the heating on is less, therefore less energy usage which means you can stay for longer!:)

Thanks Mel,
we have looked at the Adria compacts. (Went to Brownhills and others) and after our vw camper we thought they were very spacious lol. It's funny how perceptions differ isn't it? there's you coming from a 6.3m van to look at a 6m compact whereas we came from a 5m van to look at the 6m compact.

It seems that all the other PVC's with French beds are over 6m too then, the Alto and the Kingham that Ken told me about etc. I'd really like to stay at 6m.

We did quite like the panel vans we looked at whilst at SMC, Brownhills etc. Your van and the other globecars seem to be as good as it gets quality wise.
Nice but we ruled them out, the transverse beds are not too easy of access, the width of the corridor is narrow at that point with tall furniture on either side and nothing to grab hold of and no steps.
We thought the Adria Twin was a bit easier because of the bathroom tapering down in width to make the width of the corridor a bit wider where you hop into bed. Still nothing to grab hold of though!

Like you say, it's not a big corridor in the Adria Compact is it? but it does have some excellent big steps to get to the bed and a floor to ceiling pole as a grab handle, a simple addition that works.
At 2.12 it's certainly narrow enough to reach places we'd like to go to anyway.

I think from the advice I've received here I don't want a fat coach built, 2.3 is going to be a bit wide on occasion like you say. The Dethleffs Globebus T2 (transverse bed) also looks interesting at only 2.15 in width.

Hope you had a great time on your recent trip :)

OP
OP
Mark12
Apr 7, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
Since 2012
I have the Autocruise Alto as mentioned by @Minxy Girl and love it. I have previously owned coachbuilt MH's (Hymer and Autotrail) but much prefer my PVC. Mine is a 2013 model so is just 6 meters long- later models are on the xl chassis. I am more than happy with the heating system but admit I have only used in the Uk - it is too hot for me on anything over setting 2! However the fridge will be a compromise for you!!
Have you considered having a van converted to your requirements. See Ralph and Bev's blog re the van they converted - especially around the insulation issue. Funster Terry is the man to speak to if this is something you want to pursue.

Thanks Carol, that's interesting, more googling for me to do.
Yes, Carol, did consider doing my own or having one done, just fancied one that's already done and save some time really. Also was quite keen to try compact small coach built for the extra insulation so I can warm it up quicker and keep it warm with lower heater settings.

OP
OP
Mark12
Apr 7, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
Since 2012
Anyone got any experience or comments about the Dethleffs T2 Globebus, 5.99m x 2.15m with a french bed?
It's low profile and narrow, looks nice, not many around though.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Mark, our previous PVC was an Autocruise Accent at only 6m and compared to that the compact didn't seem any more spacious, I can't say exactly why other than I think the furniture in PVCs tends to be a little bit more 'slimline' than that in the Compact which seems to be of a similar size to a full-width coachbuilt.

I understand your comments about getting in (and out) of a transverse bed, in our Globecar I have a tall step/stool which we place next to it that I used to help me up/down, works fine and doubles up as a table outside! It wouldn't take much to add some grab handles to any of these types of layouts due to the proximity of the units either side, something which I'm gonna look to do with ours to make it easier for me to get in/out.

I have mastered the art of the 'transverse bed flop' though ... I place my right food on the edge of the bed base (under the mattress so as not to slip off) and a quick 'hop' off the step with my left foot, a bit of a body twist and I gently land on the far side of the bed on my left side and then roll over onto my back ... a bit like a high-jumper but not quite so high ... don't want to go through the roof!:D

As for the Adria's pole ... you do know that it's not for dancing don't you!:X3:

Not sure what 'age' of van you want but the Autocruise Alto original version was only 6m long.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Anyone got any experience or comments about the Dethleffs T2 Globebus, 5.99m x 2.15m with a french bed?
It's low profile and narrow, looks nice, not many around though.
What year? I think they changed the design over the years.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
OP
OP
Mark12
Apr 7, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
Since 2012
Mark, our previous PVC was an Autocruise Accent at only 6m and compared to that the compact didn't seem any more spacious, I can't say exactly why other than I think the furniture in PVCs tends to be a little bit more 'slimline' than that in the Compact which seems to be of a similar size to a full-width coachbuilt

Yes I do see what you mean there. They don't like to build in too much space do they. lol.
It's a heck of a juggling game deciding which van.
Priority list keeps altering a little.

Loved your transverse flop description Mel, spot on! Maybe with an Adria pole I could develop the transverse vault lol.

I think that negotiating the transverse bed is not in it's self the big problem. We are still fit, but if I get up several times then the OH gets woken up several times and vice versa.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mark12
Apr 7, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
Since 2012
If you want something smaller there's the Dethleffs Bus II which was made from around 2003 but not sure how long for ... around 5.6m and 2.11m wide, similar to the Rapido 709F but a bit narrower, images here:

http://www.hlindner.at/web/en/caravan/dethleffs-bus-ii

Good grief that's an amazing layout! Quite different to the main stream designs. Like it!

I probably should aim for something a bit newer if I want to keep it a while, which I do.

I think the age of van we get will be budget driven, 30k (ish)

A half descent low mileage reliable van would be more sensible than falling in love with an oldy.

From what I can find out, the T2 Globebus was from 2007 to 2016 when it was renamed the Globebus active, but then it was discontinued I think the T3 had layout changes but don't think the T2 changed from what I can find out.
There's a couple of 2016 ex rentals for sale on mobile de near hamburg with low mileage and good spec but they are over my budget at 44,000 euros (£37,000 ish? plus the cost of importing etc. stop dreaming Mark lol)

Despite my desire to look at semi integrated with serious amounts of insulation Mel, I am interested by your confident comments re the winterisation quality of your PV though. I can see the advantages you point out.

I'm not sure about the winter qualities of a british vans though. My last van conversion convinced me not to buy British ever again, poor build quality, underslung tanks etc. all right for a cold snap or the odd winter weekend in the uk but not a serious contender on a ski resort.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
The (Rapido) Dreamer D42 pvc has a French bed and is only 5.4m long - quite a nice van, but significantly over your proposed budget unfortunately, especially as this new one has a comfortmatic gearbox:

http://highbridgecaravans.co.uk/products/motorhomes/HCCQF33670/2017-dreamer-d42-fun

Afraid you might struggle to find a used one in your price range. Shame, because with the Combi 6 Truma heater it would be extremely toasty in such a compact van.

OP
OP
Mark12
Apr 7, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
Since 2012
The (Rapido) Dreamer D42 pvc has a French bed and is only 5.4m long - quite a nice van, but significantly over your proposed budget unfortunately, especially as this new one has a comfortmatic gearbox:

http://highbridgecaravans.co.uk/products/motorhomes/HCCQF33670/2017-dreamer-d42-fun

Afraid you might struggle to find a used one in your price range. Shame, because with the Combi 6 Truma heater it would be extremely toasty in such a compact van.

Cheers Mike, yes might be just over budget lol, and yes, Truma combi 6 in that small van, toasty!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Cheers Mike, yes might be just over budget lol, and yes, Truma combi 6 in that small van, toasty!
Found one closer to your budget - same van - new - with upgraded heating £34,995:

<Broken link removed>

But the dealer is in County Down, N Ireland

Heck of a difference in price.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Found one closer to your budget - same van - new - with upgraded heating £34,995:

<Broken link removed>

But the dealer is in County Down, N Ireland

Heck of a difference in price.

Nice layout for a van that size, but just look at the amount of exposed metal on the rear doors, that's poor construction.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Nice layout for a van that size, but just look at the amount of exposed metal on the rear doors, that's poor construction.
Not sure what you're looking at ... the rear doors have a facia over them, the only exposed metal is the very edges which you can't do anything about really.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Not sure what you're looking at ... the rear doors have a facia over them, the only exposed metal is the very edges which you can't do anything about really.

It must be the photos then, it looks like all exposed metal from the pics apart from the middle inserts, would need to see one in person, as with all vans.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It must be the photos then, it looks like all exposed metal from the pics apart from the middle inserts, would need to see one in person, as with all vans.
If you look at this picture you can see more clearly the 'metal' part is shiny, the rest is the matt 'facia' piece.

dk2.JPG

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
I reckon the Dreamer D42 has got a pretty good quality interior - we seriously considered this model which is surprisingly spacious inside for such a compact van. The rear doors are much the same as in our Rapido, which I believe came down the same production line. We only opted out because we decided twin beds were a priority for us.

Thompson Leisure have a very appealing price for the spec on offer on a new 2017 van.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I reckon the Dreamer D42 has got a pretty good quality interior - we seriously considered this model which is surprisingly spacious inside for such a compact van. The rear doors are much the same as in our Rapido, which I believe came down the same production line. We only opted out because we decided twin beds were a priority for us.

Thompson Leisure have a very appealing price for the spec on offer on a new 2017 van.

Yes seem much cheaper than Highbridge Mike>

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back